Our New Safeties Highlights

This year's defense is gonna be at least top 15 with Pees and our draftees and free agents being upgrades from last year.  I know  many believe edge is still a need, but Pees blitzes from everywhere!  He will adjust accordingly to cover any defensive shortcomings.

48 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

What's not to like?  On paper, we have a more solidified secondary.  I would feel better with another cornerback, but, overall we have to feel better about the secondary.

We look really good at safety. We actually have 3 definite good ones. At least good. I believe that. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong but I think that's going to be a strong group. 

Our front 7 were fine last year. Seriously, we never got murdered by running backs and keepers and we were competitive vs great tight ends in close routes. You can fairly argue we needed an elite edge rusher. We got beaten in the air. We lost games on secondary. 
So any improvement among our DB squad should translate to at least a few wins in short order. 

2 hours ago, Knight of God said:

We look really good at safety. We actually have 3 definite good ones. At least good. I believe that. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong but I think that's going to be a strong group. 

If they can all learn our system & Grant can get up to speed relatively quickly, we’re in good shape.  Dean Pees pressure will force QB’s into making mistakes with unexpected blitz’s from all angles & position groups.

What I liked as much as Grant’s college film,  was his eye opening Senior Bowl reps. In coverage drills he was one of the players whose name kept coming up. What’s more is the fact that in those coverage drills he was a safety that was outshining most all the Corners.  He kept finding ways to stay with his man & make a play on the ball. But his college tape also reflects his ability to get RB’s on the ground coming down hill with authority & timelines.

I too am encouraged about it.  Anything can happen since we have an all new regime, but I ain’t skeered to be positive.

8 hours ago, ryanchilled said:

Actual safeties who have actual safety measurables. The times have changed

Your never seen one play in the NFL and the other in our scheme. Likewise don’t pretend Keanu Neal wasn’t a beast. Hate when y’all do that. Rico did leave a lot to be desired tho 

3 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

If they can all learn our system & Grant can get up to speed relatively quickly, we’re in good shape.  Dean Pees pressure will force QB’s into making mistakes with unexpected blitz’s from all angles & position groups.

What I liked as much as Grant’s college film,  was his eye opening Senior Bowl reps. In coverage drills he was one of the players whose name kept coming up. What’s more is the fact that in those coverage drills he was a safety that was outshining most all the Corners.  He kept finding ways to stay with his man & make a play on the ball. But his college tape also reflects his ability to get RB’s on the ground coming down hill with authority & timelines.

I too am encouraged about it.  Anything can happen since we have an all new regime, but I ain’t skeered to be positive.

Agree. Grant to me is one of the best players in the entire draft. I couldn't believe it when we took him, because we never, ever take players I really like...but I digress. Talent, speed, ball hawk, spark plug, sure tackler, velvet hands, all the potential to become co-MVP with Grady.

In a post yesterday I nick-named him the Honey Raptor after Tyran Mathieu because he can have that kind of game-changing impact for this defense. As you said, it's just a matter of how fast he can get up to NFL speed with his reads. Pees is going to turn him into a rampaging beast. 

You're right anything can happen, but you have to be optimistic ~ even excited ~ about the many good things that have occurred this off-season. The W-L record is going to be a big deal, but regardless of that I'm thinking this will be our best team since 2016 and will be a blast to watch play football.

7 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Agree. Grant to me is one of the best players in the entire draft. I couldn't believe it when we took him, because we never, ever take players I really like...but I digress. Talent, speed, ball hawk, spark plug, sure tackler, velvet hands, all the potential to become co-MVP with Grady.

In a post yesterday I nick-named him the Honey Raptor after Tyran Mathieu because he can have that kind of game-changing impact for this defense. As you said, it's just a matter of how fast he can get up to NFL speed with his reads. Pees is going to turn him into a rampaging beast. 

You're right anything can happen, but you have to be optimistic ~ even excited ~ about the many good things that have occurred this off-season. The W-L record is going to be a big deal, but regardless of that I'm thinking this will be our best team since 2016 and will be a blast to watch play football.

Where silky smooth, sweet honey meets up with F22 Raptor lethal stealth 😎

photo-1587049352851-8d4e89133924?ixid=Mnimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUOA_eBQEF6CeNT6wk7W8

high high hopes for Richie Grant, especially because we passed on Javonte Williams.  i've liked our safeties in prior years, william moore and keanu neal, but neither could stay healthy long term and both were liabilities in coverage.  would be great to get a safety who can cover but can also knock a ball carrier into oblivion

13 hours ago, jetpac said:

Your never seen one play in the NFL and the other in our scheme. Likewise don’t pretend Keanu Neal wasn’t a beast. Hate when y’all do that. Rico did leave a lot to be desired tho 

Harmon has played in a very similar scheme Brometheus.

1 hour ago, falconsFTW said:

high high hopes for Richie Grant, especially because we passed on Javonte Williams.  i've liked our safeties in prior years, william moore and keanu neal, but neither could stay healthy long term and both were liabilities in coverage.  would be great to get a safety who can cover but can also knock a ball carrier into oblivion

Those were standard Strong Safeties, basically an additional LB. Free Safety is what we've lacked for a long time. If ever you hear me talking about Safety, I can assure you I'm not complaining about SS too much.