Lets talk about Darren Hall/Peas Defense and do we have a number 3 outside guy?

Sounds like he is a zone guy. Is that what Peas will be doing? Peas the blitz maven? Will that not be putting Hall in man? I would have to hope that the pick of Hall had Peas approval/ recommendation right?  But no way he plays anything but slot. Doesn't Hall need to be number 3 outside corner? Certainly cant be Oliver or Sheffield way this team is constructed. Both of those guys need to be slot per NFL playing time. If Hall knocks Sheffield off roster, all that does is build SLOT depth. 

Surely there was a prospect who had outside potential. Is there any on this team? I dont see it.

he

5'11 188

Arms 30-5/8

Hands 8-7/8

40 yard - 4.41

Hall plays with inconsistent technique but a natural feel for making a play on the football. He lacks restraint and has head-first play qualities that create risk-reward in coverage. He loses positioning when trailing routes and is missing top-end speed to keep from being stacked by talented targets. However, his timing and accuracy to affect the catch-point offers hope that he can improve his technique. That said, he has limitations that might push him toward a zone-based defense where he can focus on playing downhill both in coverage and with plus run support.
Strengths
  • Has built up his body during time at SDSU.
  • Adjusts lateral slides to the release.
  • Studies quarterback and plays with anticipation.
  • Choppy, short-area feet for sudden change of direction.
  • Sinks into receiver's chest when phasing route downfield.
  • Opportunistic from zone and competitive on 50-50 balls.
  • Midpoints high-low route concepts with readiness to play either.
  • Burst to close and take it when he has the read.
  • Very good feel for timing and playing receivers' hands.
  • Good physicality and play strength in run support.
Weaknesses
  • Too much freestyle movements over consistent technique.
  • Unorthodox shuffle into space from zone.
  • Excessive wasted motion from top of the drop.
  • Sticky hips stall transitions when routes cross his face.
  • Not a natural route phaser.
  • Loses body control and balance when running with route.
  • Missing make-up gear to chase down escaping targets. 

A few thoughts almost all DBs are better in zone than man.  Because they are guarding a space not trying to match a reciever in phase.  So the whole was a zone corner thing isn't that big a deal give him time to learn.  

Other thing many blitzes still rely on zone coverage.  Or blended zone/man coverages.  Just cause Pees is aggressive don't expect him to bring the house every play and play strictly man behind that would be insane

Peas "likes" to be multiple and attacking up front while playing simple in the secondary. That said, he has offered up in several interviews that he'll play to the strengths of the guys on the roster. I don't think he'll force players into a system they can't handle. He's more likely to force his system to adjust for the players. 

12 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Sleeping on him? I think we saw who he is overall in Washington, don't expect much difference in his ability. There's a reason they didn't resign him especially with him coming at a cheap price. If you're a DB that couldn't get the team that drafted you to keep you around when you had that defensive line creating chaos then you've really got to prove yourself before I have confidence in you. 

16 hours ago, Knight of God said:

This forum really is sleeping on Moreau. He seems to have a ridiculously good nose for the ball. I'm really digging the way TF and Pees are building this secondary. Everyone is a ball-hawking playmaker that can force a fumble with a hard tackle. Opposing QBs are really gonna have to be careful taking shots at this secondary.

Anyways I hear that Moreau basically didn't get resigned in Washington because they were already stacked at the position. I think Moreau and Terrell are going to be a strong duo.

17 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Honestly just going by highlights and stats, but why was Washington and really the entire league sleeping on him? To not get more playing time and signing a contract as low as he did.

6 hours ago, TheHeartless said:

Sleeping on him? I think we saw who he is overall in Washington, don't expect much difference in his ability. There's a reason they didn't resign him especially with him coming at a cheap price. If you're a DB that couldn't get the team that drafted you to keep you around when you had that defensive line creating chaos then you've really got to prove yourself before I have confidence in you. 

Ok that was that system there. Not this one. They have A1 talent and the secondary still sucks as a whole. You have to look at scheme and system.

3 hours ago, ATLskinjob said:

This forum really is sleeping on Moreau. He seems to have a ridiculously good nose for the ball. I'm really digging the way TF and Pees are building this secondary. Everyone is a ball-hawking playmaker that can force a fumble with a hard tackle. Opposing QBs are really gonna have to be careful taking shots at this secondary.

Anyways I hear that Moreau basically didn't get resigned in Washington because they were already stacked at the position. I think Moreau and Terrell are going to be a strong duo.

He won't be asked to do as much either

2 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

Honestly just going by highlights and stats, but why was Washington and really the entire league sleeping on him? To not get more playing time and signing a contract as low as he did.

To be very honest, that is not a team I'd say has the best decision making skills in the world. TF has a history of good decisions...

Hey I'm glad to have Moreau for what his is for this team as constructed number 2 outside, but is there anyone else who can play boundary?

Certainly dont want to see Oliver or Sheffield there if Peas is playing to "strengths", and neither Hall for that matter.

That being said, I see those guys as being proper NFL slot starters and depth through and through, but kind of dime a dozen.

1 hour ago, Knight of God said:

To be very honest, that is not a team I'd say has the best decision making skills in the world. TF has a history of good decisions...

I'm not complaining, but it seems he would warrant a better contract than 1.12 million. We really needed that type of player at that price in a position that was lacking. I'm half excited about our secondary if we can get any kind of pressure on the qbs. Some of these guys are ballhawks