Javian Hawkins: "Most Talented Back On The Roster" NFL Insider Says

1 hour ago, Herr Doktor said:

I'm pulling for him.  But, really, I don't expect much out of him. Spot duty, gadget plays, etc.  Maybe year two we see something more akin to a feature back.  Davis and Ollison (if he makes the roster) will be goal line and short yardage.

Yeah he's really going to have to carve out a role for himself if he's going to make the roster. 

I can see him making it, but saying he's the best back is pretty ridiculous. 

At best, he could be a good change of pace back.

He's just so small for the NFL, and Smith seems to like some tough running. It just doesn't add up to me.

4 hours ago, Lornoth said:

Plenty of dudes sat out and still got drafted. I'm not saying he's trash but people have been calling him our new RB1 since we picked him up.

To be fair a ton of people had Hawkins being taken in the draft. Pretty sure I saw him as high as a 3rd rd. 

People couldn't believe we got him in UDFA. 

1 hour ago, Knight of God said:

He'll have a scatback role. 

Yep. Quizz to Turner or Dunn to Duckett type role w/ Mike Davis, I think.

Not sure Ollison is gonna be anything more than a change of pace back. 

48 minutes ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

To be fair a ton of people had Hawkins being taken in the draft. Pretty sure I saw him as high as a 3rd rd. 

Dunn was the feature back. Duckett was just some guy

Awesome. Love this guy. Been pulling for him to be our COP back / scat back or even be on the field alongside Davis at the time.

And yet we have folks who prefer to be negative on one or both of these guys.  I think they can both be good backs for this team.  

23 hours ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

Dunn wasn’t a scat back tho. He could carry a load. Duckett was a short yardage pound guy. Scat backs don’t usually start. Dunn was an early down back with break ability his entire career. 

His size is his only issue.   I love his running and he is a much tougher runner than his size would indicate but worry about him in pass protection.  He is fearless but so was a 15 pound heavier Ito Smith.  Blitzers are likely to just bull rush him all the time...at least I would.  Maybe Smith will never put him in that role but that will really narrow his ability to be on the field.

15 hours ago, ATLskinjob said:

Yeah he's really going to have to carve out a role for himself if he's going to make the roster. 

I can see him making it, but saying he's the best back is pretty ridiculous. 

At best, he could be a good change of pace back.

He's just so small for the NFL, and Smith seems to like some tough running. It just doesn't add up to me.

Agreed.  I get gadget back, change of pace type stuff, but I just don't see him being an every down running back.  I'd love to be wrong.