Javian Hawkins: "Most Talented Back On The Roster" NFL Insider Says

NFL Insider: Falcons UDFA Is The "Most Talented Back On The Roster"

Is Mike Davis really the top running back in Atlanta? One NFL insider believes he could be overtaken by a more talented back on the depth chart.

When the Atlanta Falcons signed little-known running back Javian Hawkins as an undrafted free agent out of Louisville, he wasn't seen as a player who could have an early-down role due to his size (5-9, 183 pounds).

But when you take a look at the Falcons' running back depth chart, it's easy to make a case for why he just might be the most productive runner out of the team's backfield this season. And at least one NFL analyst agrees with that opinion due to the existence of tight end Kyle Pitts.

"You won't be able to stack the box against the Falcons - and I mean ever, under any circumstances - with Kyle Pitts in the slot (or out wide, whatever)," Thor Nystrom of NBC Sports Edge said when discussing how the Falcons offense will "be much more pass-heavy" under new head coach Arthur Smith than his Tennessee Titans-led offense was last season.

Norstrom added this nugget: "Which plays to the game of the most talented back on the roster — Javian Hawkins."

Hawkins, 21, currently sits behind former Carolina Panthers back Mike Davis and 2019 fifth-rounder Qadree Ollison on the depth chart. Veteran Cordarrelle Patterson lurks as a wide receiver/running back hybrid and will primarily be used on special teams.

If there's a guy looking to win a job in camp, Hawkins might have one of the easier chances in the backfield to stake claim to this summer.

Hawkins elected to sit out of the COVID-shortened season after playing eight games in 2020. He led the Cardinals backfield with 822 yards on the ground to go along with seven touchdowns. In 2019, he rushed for a school-record 1,525 yards on 264 carries and had nine touchdowns.

This is a position battle to watch when camp kicks off at the end of the month. Hawkins, for starters, doesn't need to be the "best runner'' in camp. First, he just needs to catch the eye of his bosses.

si.com/nfl/falcons

1 hour ago, youngbloodz said:

Size and didn’t play in 2020. Unless you’re a beast or incredible physical talent your stock took a hit if you sat out of 2020

Plenty of dudes sat out and still got drafted. I'm not saying he's trash but people have been calling him our new RB1 since we picked him up.

19 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

Plenty of dudes sat out and still got drafted. I'm not saying he's trash but people have been calling him our new RB1 since we picked him up.

Like i said unless you’re a beast(Penei Sewell) or an incredible physical talent (Gregory Rousseau) you’re stock dropped if you sat out the 2020 season. For his size he would have been a 3rd day selection anyway if he was drafted 

39 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

Undersized backs rarely get drafted or are drafted late. He was a projected late rounder so it's possible sitting out hurt his stock a little.

He's definitely not the #1. I think they'll be a role for him, if he's able to step up. He'll never be an every down back but he could be Sproles (high end) or Rodgers with more burst (would be nice). Hopefully he's not a Pumphrey (yikes). I think he will skew closer to the former. Maybe like Lewis, who was in Tennessee for a couple of years. Seems like he can tote the rock and isn't just an outside zone/receiving back.

I think the note about not being able to stack the box plays into his potential. However, if teams to have to play us that way, Davis is going to destroy this season. 

Edited by Run 'n' Shoot

10 minutes ago, Run 'n' Shoot said:

Undersized backs rarely get drafted or are drafted late. He was a projected late rounder so it's possible sitting out hurt his stock a little.

He's definitely not the #1. I think they'll be a role for him, if he's able to step up. He'll never be an every down back but he could be Sproles (high end) or Rodgers with more burst (would be nice). Hopefully he's not a Pumphrey (yikes). I think he will skew closer to the former. Maybe like Lewis, who was in Tennessee for a couple of years. Seems like he can tote the rock and isn't just an outside zone/receiving back.

I think the note about not being able to stack the box plays into his potential. However, if teams to have to play us that way, Davis is going to destroy this season. 

I think he's going to have a fight to secure a roster spot. Patterson is our change of pace/gimmick back right now. If he can show out on ST or prove he can offer something others can't, I'm sure AS will find a way to use him.

Every year there seems to be a running back that gets undrafted and sets the league on fire for a little while.  It really all depends on the team and, in some cases, scheme.

If we are indeed running the outsidde zone, as previously stated, he could be a Lindsay, Morris, Foster, or even Terrell Davis.  

3 hours ago, Lornoth said:

The hype is real on this dude. There's a reason he was undrafted.

We'll soon find out. Plenty of good/great running backs have went undrafted.

I've been on the Hawkins hype train since December. 

Edited by Artys Arryn

5 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

I have to agree.  He's got some skills.  Not sure how it translates to the NFL.

Me either. I was a big fan of It Smith and even had him mocked as our 6th round pick that season. I think his talent would translate to the NFL but he just hasn't shown that elusiveness consistently. It also seems like the new regime favors guys with size. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Huntley won a spot.over Hawkins

2 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Me either. I was a big fan of It Smith and even had him mocked as our 6th round pick that season. I think his talent would translate to the NFL but he just hasn't shown that elusiveness consistently. It also seems like the new regime favors guys with size. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Huntley won a spot.over Hawkins

You could say he is Warrick Dunn 2.0. In his one complete season Hawkins had numbers very similar to Dunn's at Florida State. But times have changes. LBs and DLs are bigger and faster. Dunn was a #12 pick in the 90s. Today he would probably go undrafted too.

These articles present a false choice of either Hawkins or Davis. 

I suggest collectively they are far better than individually. I do not believe Hawkins could carry the load of a feature back for a full season through possible playoff games. Possible yes, but highly unlikely.

Its more likely Hawkins could be our main back for a few games if Davis got nicked up.  That’s to be determined. We know for a fact Davis can carry the load as a feature back. 

However, Davis and Hawkins sharing the load has great potential. I do think Hawkins has talent, let’s see if he can showcase it against NFL level defenders. 

8 minutes ago, Jesus said:

You could say he is Warrick Dunn 2.0. In his one complete season Hawkins had numbers very similar to Dunn's at Florida State. But times have changes. LBs and DLs are bigger and faster. Dunn was a #12 pick in the 90s. Today he would probably go undrafted too.

Yeah you're starting.to see a switch to bigger stronger backs over fast and nimble ones.

Still think Dunn would have been drafted. Dude just new how to get the yards that the line gave him. Too many backs try to do too much.