So who do we sign to replace Mingo on the roster?

Mingo wasn't expected to be a starter or anything but I think he was signed with the expectation he would to be a contributor on special teams and as a rotational/depth guy.  Because of that I don't think we replace him with a camp body.. we need someone who can actually contribute.  So who from the available options do you think we might pick up?  Has there been any word on interest in anyone?

Options still out there:

• Justin Houston - Obviously favorite from a fan perspective because he can still play, even if he isn't what he used to be.  He may cost more than we want to spend though.
  • Bruce Irvin - Another "guy at the end of his career, but can still contribute" option. I think Houston probably has more left but Irvin might be cheaper.  He is also a home town guy.
  • Melvin Ingram - Injuries have been an issue for him, but as a rotational guy at the end of his career, he might still offer some decent production.  Probably a little pricy.
  • Kamalei Correa - Younger (27) and has connections to Pees with both Baltimore and Tennessee.  He isn't a starter but could easily fill whatever role Mingo would have had and offer more potential upside over any of the above.  
  • Alex Okafor - Has a connection to Fontenot through NO.  Slightly younger than Irvin, Ingram and Houston.  

Is there anyone else out there you think we might have interest in?  

9 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Houston

From your keyboard to Fontenot's ears.  I think Houston could have a huge impact for us both now and long term.  Now because he would be an immediate upgrade for us.. and in the future because a successful vet like him could have a long term impact on our young guys.  He could teach them the nuances of pass rushing that only a guy who has been there, done that could teach.  Maybe even have an effect on Fowler the way Freeney did on Beasley.  Too bad Beasley let the lessons slide as soon as Freeney was gone.  

14 minutes ago, Pa_Falcon_Fan said:

From your keyboard to Fontenot's ears.  I think Houston could have a huge impact for us both now and long term.  Now because he would be an immediate upgrade for us.. and in the future because a successful vet like him could have a long term impact on our young guys.  He could teach them the nuances of pass rushing that only a guy who has been there, done that could teach.  Maybe even have an effect on Fowler the way Freeney did on Beasley.  Too bad Beasley let the lessons slide as soon as Freeney was gone.  

Bro, one of our biggest mistakes was letting Freeney go. You keep a guy like that until you can upgrade naturally. It's easier to get talent when you have talent because you're not in any urgency. 

29 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Team says they aren't rebuilding but are sitting on about 8 mil cap with a bad secondary, thin Dline and sketchy Oline.

idk what they are waiting on.

Maybe they'd like to see exactly what they have first. No point in rushing to sign players that no other team is rushing to sign just to satisfy the fan base

38 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Maybe they'd like to see exactly what they have first. No point in rushing to sign players that no other team is rushing to sign just to satisfy the fan base

Preach! 

I have been saying there wasn’t a guarantee Mingo was making this team anyways if a couple of younger guys came along and gave you close to what he was at a cheaper price.

5 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Preach! 

I have been saying there wasn’t a guarantee Mingo was making this team anyways if a couple of younger guys came along and gave you close to what he was at a cheaper price.

yea it makes the most sense for a brand spanking new staff to at least see what they're working with before just assuming the guys have zero talent due to short comings from the last staff

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

Team says they aren't rebuilding but are sitting on about 8 mil cap with a bad secondary, thin Dline and sketchy Oline.

When you have a 36 year old franchise quarterback you cash in all your chips every year IMO. Matt Ryan probably has 3-5 years left. Best case scenario.

2 hours ago, Malachore said:

The secondary will be better than you think.

The Oline will be better than you think.

I think we need a true pass rusher so Houston for me