Time to bring it back

Matt Ryan is at his best with a hurry up, no huddle offense. For the last few years, it seems we've been doing it less and less (unless we're down by a ton). Adding Pitts and his ability to line up virtually anywhere, along with Patterson would make this an ideal weapon in our arsenal to take advantage of favorable matchups. Thoughts? 

Before you say, "we were always down by a ton!"... many times we were up and just crapped the bed

3 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Matt Ryan is at his best with a hurry up, no huddle offense. For the last few years, it seems we've been doing it less and less (unless we're down by a ton). Adding Pitts and his ability to line up virtually anywhere, along with Patterson would make this an ideal weapon in our arsenal to take advantage of favorable matchups. Thoughts? 

Before you say, "we were always down by a ton!"... many times we were up and just crapped the bed

Dirk Koetter was so focused on running his game plan he never looked at the Falcons on the field.  Oh, his eyes may have been on them, but he never accepted reality.  I am not sure where he got the idea that 5 step drops and 6 second routes were a formula for success, but Dirk was not going to allow Matt Ryan to mess up his plans.

AS is going to do what works. 

It reminds me of when a coach stopped Dizzy Dean as he was getting ready to take the mound and asked, "What is your strategy.  Do you have a plan?".  Dizzy looked at the coach and in that slow drawl say, "Mmmm, strike him out." 

6 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

6 hours ago, NorthGaBoy said:

Dirk Koetter was so focused on running his game plan he never looked at the Falcons on the field.  Oh, his eyes may have been on them, but he never accepted reality.  I am not sure where he got the idea that 5 step drops and 6 second routes were a formula for success, but Dirk was not going to allow Matt Ryan to mess up his plans.

AS is going to do what works. 

It reminds me of when a coach stopped Dizzy Dean as he was getting ready to take the mound and asked, "What is your strategy.  Do you have a plan?".  Dizzy looked at the coach and in that slow drawl say, "Mmmm, strike him out." 

Over the decades of watching the Falcons, I have noticed some things about how the team works..... its like this;

When the Falcons find things that work.... whether its having success thru running the ball, or finding an elite pass rusher who elevates the entire defense, or running a hurry up offense, or finding success with quick-read quick-passing attacks..... once the Falcons find success doing something, the team then works very hard to stop doing that successful thing.    There are many examples of this, if you pay attention.

Also.... Falcons coaches tend to think they are offensive and defensive 'geniuses'.... lots of times our coaches have insisted on creating new ways to play offense or defense.   From the run 'n shoot offense of the 90's to Dan Quinn creating new ways to tackle and the sad attempt this last season at creating a new defense...

Our best seasons came from having HCs who coached a more conventional way of doing things.   Leeman Bennett, Dan Reeves, and Mike Smith were more 'old school', and found success with that philosophy.   Hopefully Arthur Smith coaches the same way...

Just now, celtiksage said:

He has always seemed really good at the no huddle offense, but I expect it is really difficult to control the clock (and thus TOP) this way.

The Falcons probably had no faith in the teams ability (to include piss poor coaching) of controlling the clock.  The hurry up might have worked wonders for the offense, but would have left a suspect defense on the field for a much longer time.  Great point Celt 

8 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

I agree, with players like Pitts, Patterson and Davis on the roster we could put some base defenses in a pickle by moving them around in a hurry up offense. 

Not sure if Ryan is better in a hurry up though. That may be a perceived truth by TATF. Do you have any statistics that support that notion, or is it a TATF myth?

23 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I agree, with players like Pitts, Patterson and Davis on the roster we could put some base defenses in a pickle by moving them around in a hurry up offense. 

Not sure if Ryan is better in a hurry up though. That may be a perceived truth by TATF. Do you have any statistics that support that notion, or is it a TATF myth?

No stats to back the claim, just my eyes from watching

2 hours ago, celtiksage said:

He has always seemed really good at the no huddle offense, but I expect it is really difficult to control the clock (and thus TOP) this way.

Agree. The no huddle offense doesn't control the clock, except in the sense it's a time-saver if you're behind.

58 minutes ago, Vandy said:

No-huddle offense is vastly overrated in TAFT. What Ryan and all QB’s need is an effective play caller and some semblance of a running game. 

Why do you think it's overrated? I trust MR2 in reading defenses and finding mismatches. Arthur's plays of course

7 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

The Falcons probably had no faith in the teams ability (to include piss poor coaching) of controlling the clock.  The hurry up might have worked wonders for the offense, but would have left a suspect defense on the field for a much longer time.  Great point Celt 

But hey, we might've got to see some games over 100 points. Haha

7 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

No, I'm not talking "hurry up". Just calling plays at the line, don't let defenses sub players, take the clock to 1 second if the game calls for that. No huddle and hurry up are two different animals

The no huddle works well with Matt. He runs it well and it allows him to get rid of the ball quicker than Dirk would have liked. It hides our oline's blocking issues to some degree also. You can run it and not tire our defense also, you don't always have to snap it fast. You can go no huddle and be quick to the line, but still eat some clock. Make those big guys stay down wondering when and if you will snap it quick. 

8 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

Why do you think it's overrated? I trust MR2 in reading defenses and finding mismatches. Arthur's plays of course

2012 was really the last time we saw Ryan effective in no-huddle.

(to your point it’s the last time we really asked him to)

25 minutes ago, Vandy said:

2012 was really the last time we saw Ryan effective in no-huddle.

(to your point it’s the last time we really asked him to)

And think how much he's learned since then. Using our players' strengths is what I'm looking for this year on both sides of the ball. Timing routes and reading defenses is what Matt does best. Years of Dirk trying to emphasize Matt throwing downfield just isn't who he is

34 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

And think how much he's learned since then. Using our players' strengths is what I'm looking for this year on both sides of the ball. Timing routes and reading defenses is what Matt does best. Years of Dirk trying to emphasize Matt throwing downfield just isn't who he is

Agreed. 

Hopefully, better coaching scheme+ Mike Davis+ better OL play will give him a running game to balance things out. 

20 hours ago, celtiksage said:

If done correctly you can do it and still control TOP.

13 hours ago, Jesus said:

The McRib? I guess.

I’ve been a big fan of the McRib for a long time. My Granny got me hooked on those when I was a kid. I’m always disappointed when it goes away. It’s so popular it should be a permanent fixture on the menu.