2021 MLB Draft

K26dp

Sam Houston State OF Colton Cowser expected to be Baltimore's pick. This is a reflection of the Orioles new analytic approach, he's a guy that models like more than scouts (though scouts like him too). BA had him going 15 to Milwaukee.

1 minute ago, K26dp said:

Sam Houston State OF Colton Cowser expected to be Baltimore's pick. This is a reflection of the Orioles new analytic approach, he's a guy that models like more than scouts (though scouts like him too). BA had him going 15 to Milwaukee.

I say this with all the fondness possible.

I very much like that you're at the stage with the draft and prospects that I was 15 years ago.

(I had very strong opinions about AJ Zapp back in the day.)

1 minute ago, jidady said:

I say this with all the fondness possible.

I very much like that you're at the stage with the draft and prospects that I was 15 years ago.

(I had very strong opinions about AJ Zapp back in the day.)

Funny, I actually have little opinion about the draft. I don't really follow it until right at the end. 

Question? Why do MLB teams take Prep players in the first two rounds. Thought they would want someone more experienced and more than likely reach the MLB team sooner? Also if the prep player doesn’t like where they are drafted and who drafted them. they could opt for the college route if they are willing to wait another 3 years be drafted again. 

5 minutes ago, brdu4 said:

Question? Why do MLB teams take Prep players in the first two rounds. Thought they would want someone more experienced and more than likely reach the MLB team sooner? Also if the prep player doesn’t like where they are drafted and who drafted them. they could opt for the college route if they are willing to wait another 3 years be drafted again. 

Being taken in the first round guarantees a multi-million signing bonus, and very few people will turn down life-changing money. 

MLB teams take them because they can mold that talent themselves, and if it works out they are more likely to be able to take advantage of the sweet-spot of age and talent when they hit the majors.