2021 MLB Draft

K26dp

Sunday-Tuesday
SUNDAY: Day 1 (round 1) at 7:07 p.m., ESPN & MLB.com
MONDAY: Day 2 (rounds 2-10) at 1 p.m., MLB.com
TUESDAY: Day 3 (rounds 11-20) at noon, MLB.com

Braves picks:

1. Ryan Cuscik, RHP, Wake Forest
2. Spencer Schwellenbach. RHP/SS, Nebraska (signed)
3. Dylan Dodd, LHP, Southeast Missouri State (signed)
4. Cal Conley, SS, Texas Tech (signed)
5. Luke Waddell, SS, Georgia Tech (signed)
6. Justyn-Henry Malloy, 3B, Georgia Tech (signed)
7. AJ Smith-Shawver, RHP, Colleyville Heritage HS (TX) (signed)
8. Tyler Collins, OF, Boyd HS (TX) (signed)
9. Liam McGill, C, Bryant University (signed)
10. Dylan Spain, RHP, Hawaii-Hilo (signed)
11. Adam Shoemaker, LHP, St. Benedict Catholic Secondary School (Ontario) (signed)
12. Andrew Hoffmann, RHP, Illinois (signed)

13. Adam Zebrowski, C, St John Fisher College (signed)
14. Caleb Durbin, SS, Washington University (signed)
15. Christan Robinson, OF, Stanford (signed)
16. Kris Anglin, LHP, Howard College (signed)
17. Tyler Tolve, C, Kennesaw State (signed)
18. Austin Smith, RHP, Arizona (signed)
19. Samuel Strickland, LHP, Samford (signed)

20. Ty Evans, OF, Lakeland Christian School 

12 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

So...a RHP is what we're looking at...

Gotcha.   

Pretty much. And everyone seems to think Atlanta will be able to float LHP Ky Bush to their 2nd-round pick.

2 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Yep. I want a bat but if a RHP is the best player available then so be it.

And to be fair, believe it or not starting pitching is getting thin at the lower levels. Between Rome and Augusta there's maybe five real starting pitching prospects (Shuster, DeVito, Vines, Estes, Johnson). And we all know attrition rates.

11 minutes ago, K26dp said:

And to be fair, believe it or not starting pitching is getting thin at the lower levels. Between Rome and Augusta there's maybe five real starting pitching prospects (Shuster, DeVito, Vines, Estes, Johnson). And we all know attrition rates.

That explains why Dana Brown mentioned how much he wants pitching in this draft.

14 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

That explains why Dana Brown mentioned how much he wants pitching in this draft.

That four-pick draft coming at the tail end of four seasons of international sanctions has finally caught up. The 2019 draft was fantastic, but it takes more than that to stock a farm properly.

Something that fascinates me about the MLB Draft is how confident other teams are about Ky Bush going to Atlanta, just like Drew Waters a few years ago. I always wonder what they're seeing that makes them so sure.

3 hours ago, jidady said:

Something that fascinates me about the MLB Draft is how confident other teams are about Ky Bush going to Atlanta, just like Drew Waters a few years ago. I always wonder what they're seeing that makes them so sure.

Sometimes it's as simple as being told "don't draft me, I'm either going to Atlanta or I'm going back to school". 

8 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

@K26dp I'm not familiar with MLB's draft slotting process and how draft pool works, but why would Leiter cost more than Rocker at the same pick? Is it because he has more pub and incentive to hold out for more money?

Leiter's evaluation right now is just higher than Rocker's. He's the top-rated pitcher in the draft.

15 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

@K26dp I'm not familiar with MLB's draft slotting process and how draft pool works, but why would Leiter cost more than Rocker at the same pick? Is it because he has more pub and incentive to hold out for more money?

NIL factors into the MLB draft too. The guys that can return to college have even more leverage. Especially someone like Leiter or Rocker. You might risk injury but you're a superstar at Vandy or wherever and that can be cashed in now.