Terry Fontenot: "Rebuilding Really Isn't In Our Vocabulary"

Just now, Radiant City said:

So you have never in your falcon forum life declared that Matt Ryan has 30 something game winning comebacks, Ever? I guess I’ll take your word for it. That is a heavy talking point on why he should stay around these parts.....

No I haven't. Wins/losses are a team stat.

OK..?

Lets see what happens next year when Hurst, Gage, Foye, and Ridley are up for new contracts or extensions, and associated comps that will come from if not signed. 

Hurst, Gage, and Foye have real potential to ball out and be highly compensated by another team.. what we looking at (3 at least)comp picks rounds 3-5 if so?

FWIW Foye is one of the more dynamic  defensive players I have seen on this team in years, what he did against Dallas in what 20 plays?? before getting hurt was **** near steroidal level.

Ridley get 5th year designation next year also without extension? 

Yep then rebuild is on

A great interview that sheds light on the confidence and competitiveness of TF and AS. As outsiders facing serious cap problems it would have been so easy, not to mention safer, to have gone into deep rebuild and delay serious expectations until 2023.

They could've taken Fields at #4 because it was almost expected as a new regime they'd want to take a franchise QB for the future. Plenty of the national talking heads and a considerable number of Matt Ryan-hating fans eager for a change would've applauded them. 

Instead, TF and AS were confident enough in themselves and in what they saw on the roster to stay with Ryan and put the best team they could afford around him in the effort to win right now.

The idea of winning this season seems unlikely to many, even absurdly unrealistic, but it's possible and AS and TF have made a lot of excellent moves to get'er done.

Sure right now it's all just talk, but if fans can't find legit reasons to be upbeat over all the changes so far, I really feel sorry for them.  It's going to be an exciting season. Time to take a deep breath and wave bye-bye to the Embrace the Suck era forever.

1 hour ago, OrthoPTSD said:

OK..?

Lets see what happens next year when Hurst, Gage, Foye, and Ridley are up for new contracts or extensions, and associated comps that will come from if not signed. 

Hurst, Gage, and Foye have real potential to ball out and be highly compensated by another team.. what we looking at (3 at least)comp picks rounds 3-5 if so?

FWIW Foye is one of the more dynamic  defensive players I have seen on this team in years, what he did against Dallas in what 20 plays?? before getting hurt was **** near steroidal level.

Yep then rebuild is on

I believe if Foye plays at a high level this season Pees will do everything he can to retain him..the biggest thing I believe Foye needs to improve on is qb pressure and maybe a few sacks..if he proves capable to get pressure on qb's in Pees system he's either going to command a big payday or we'll go in the pocket to keep him

Regardless of last year, I will be cheering this year.  I will be a fan regardless of who is in the lid.  

But I'm also a realist.  We (fans) won't really know the true impact of this last year, the transitions, and the draft/trades/FA until a couple years from now.  Maybe we blow it up this year with 10+, cool.  Hope so.  

But realistically, 8 wins is a 100% improvement and 2 wins more than anyone in Flowery needs to keep their job.  Because every team is pretty good, even the Jets.  Nobody is getting routed every Sunday.  The roster changes a little every year no matter what.  So calling it a rebuild is really just a fun way to say "fix it for tomorrow".

Edited by Killing Floor

3 hours ago, OrthoPTSD said:

OK..?

Yep then rebuild is on

Letting players walk doesn't mean a rebuild is happening. Hurst's 5th year option wasn't picked up for a reason. We've already got his replacement in Pitts on the roster. So he walks and we get the comp pick.

Ridley, who cares if he's playing 2022 on the 5th year option? It doesn't matter, he's going to be here next year.

Foye? Foye I would like to see the Falcons find a way to keep. They'll have a lot better cap situation for next year so they might be able to do that if he doesn't break the bank.

Gage? He's a solid #2 type receiver but he's not irreplaceable.

Getting 3 comp picks for Hurst, Foye and Gage isn't the end of the world, especially since they're not core players.

Nothing you said means rebuild.

7 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

A great interview that sheds light on the confidence and competitiveness of TF and AS. As outsiders facing serious cap problems it would have been so easy, not to mention safer, to have gone into deep rebuild and delay serious expectations until 2023.

They could've taken Fields at #4 because it was almost expected as a new regime they'd want to take a franchise QB for the future. Plenty of the national talking heads and a considerable number of Matt Ryan-hating fans eager for a change would've applauded them. 

Instead, TF and AS were confident enough in themselves and in what they saw on the roster to stay with Ryan and put the best team they could afford around him in the effort to win right now.

The idea of winning this season seems unlikely to many, even absurdly unrealistic, but it's possible and AS and TF have made a lot of excellent moves to get'er done.

Sure right now it's all just talk, but if fans can't find legit reasons to be upbeat over all the changes so far, I really feel sorry for them.  It's going to be an exciting season. Time to take a deep breath and wave bye-bye to the Embrace the Suck era forever.

Or it's equally plausible that they were flat out wrong. How do you justify this off-season if we have another losing season. 

Every year it is excuse after excuse, this year being literally 100% on Coach Bro and Koetter. I can already predict the new coach/scheme excuse if we are a losing team again.

Edited by PointSwayzee

Interesting that the article acknowledges  just how difficult our cap situation was.

We weren’t in a position to rebuild. Even if we’d wanted to, we lacked the cap space to move on from many veteran deals, let alone have space to replace them with decent talent.

It made sense to use this season to try to win with what we have and for the new staff to use the year to evaluate the roster. Will be fascinating to see what happens in 2022.

On 7/10/2021 at 6:21 AM, PointSwayzee said:

Or it's equally plausible that they were flat out wrong. How do you justify this off-season if we have another losing season. 

Every year it is excuse after excuse, this year being literally 100% on Coach Bro and Koetter. I can already predict the new coach/scheme excuse if we are a losing team again.

Actually it's more plausible they're way smarter than you and know more about the NFL than you'll ever know and got it exactly right.

How? I'll justify it by realizing this regime started off in a serious hole in terms of salary cap, defense, poor coaching and needed more time to get every part of this team back to competitiveness. Not "excuses," those would be what are known as "reasons."

How will you justify all the Karen rants and endless pessimism if we have a winning season? Will you even be posting since your biggest contribution is endless *****ing about how bad things were last year?

Sounds like we are gonna be draft a QB and having him sit under Ryan if we go 4-13 again.  Only way to not rebuild is to have a ready QB step in immediately after the prior.

18 hours ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

I forgot about that guy.  Wasn’t he the one that took 4,000 words just to say “Matt Ryan sucks”?

He got knocked around like a piñata on here last winter and I haven’t seen him post since 

Lmao I have definitely gotten into it with him for that exact post.