I AM excited yet nervous about this season, how about you?

I’m excited because they actually have a D coordinator in there who might be able to help them improve. If the D improves, and the O can do what it’s capable of doing, this could be a good year. Im also excited to see what Pitts can do in his rookie year with all the hype around him. This offense can be absolutely explosive if handled correctly. 

Im nervous about this year because Arthur Smith is an unknown as a head coach. I think he’s a great O coordinator, but people also said DQ was a great D coordinator. If the job turns out to be too much for him, then we as a fan base are in for a long couple of seasons.

What is everyone else’s outlook on the season?

I'm excited and nervous too.  Excited for football.  Excited because I think we can be better than last year and, depending on how quickly the team takes to all the changes, we could be a playoff contender.   Nervous because.. well, a lot of changes and brand new faces.  Nervous because if things don't gel quickly enough we could be in for a very long no-fun season.  

But, regardless of this season, I'm optimistic for the future.  I think Coach Smith was the right hire.  I love what I've seen from him so far.  I think he'll get way more out of the talent here than Quinn was able to the last few years.  Too many guys not held accountable and getting lax because they weren't.  

44 minutes ago, apl2g said:

I’m excited because they actually have a D coordinator in there who might be able to help them improve. If the D improves, and the O can do what it’s capable of doing, this could be a good year. Im also excited to see what Pitts can do in his rookie year with all the hype around him. This offense can be absolutely explosive if handled correctly. 

Im nervous about this year because Arthur Smith is an unknown as a head coach. I think he’s a great O coordinator, but people also said DQ was a great D coordinator. If the job turns out to be too much for him, then we as a fan base are in for a long couple of seasons.

The difference is, Quinn was not the mastermind for that Seattle defense. The Seahawks were the #7 and #1 scoring defense the two year prior to Quinn's arrival (2011-2012). The year after he left (2015), they were still the #1 scoring defense. So long story short, Quinn inherited an all-time great defensive roster. 

Not the same for Smith. The Titans were the #27 and #19 scoring offense the two years before Smith (2017-2018). Once he took over, they became the #9 and #4 scoring offense in 2019 and 2020. 

But to answer your original question, I'm very excited. I see this as a 2-3 year process, but I really do think we can make a push for a wild card spot in 2021. 

Excited as well.  Not really much at stake or high expectations.  I think they will do better than most think but don’t think they are a true contender.  Need to give this regime more than one offseason to do their thing.  I just want to see progress and less dumb mental errors than we have seen the last two years.

5 minutes ago, dirtybirds233 said:

The difference is, Quinn was not the mastermind for that Seattle defense. The Seahawks were the #7 and #1 scoring defense the two year prior to Quinn's arrival (2011-2012). The year after he left (2015), they were still the #1 scoring defense. So long story short, Quinn inherited an all-time great defensive roster. 

Not the same for Smith. The Titans were the #27 and #19 scoring offense the two years before Smith (2017-2018). Once he took over, they became the #9 and #4 scoring offense in 2019 and 2020. 

But to answer your original question, I'm very excited. I see this as a 2-3 year process, but I really do think we can make a push for a wild card spot in 2021. 

Thank you for that. I too think about how DQ was supposed to be a great D coordinator and when he came here and was fielding pretty bad defenses, it makes you wonder. But the part about how the D was good before and after DQ in seattle helps explain it.

I do think that the AS hire was a great move. I like the accountability part. I like the offensive scheme he brings with wide zone and motion. I think the offense fit Matt Ryans ability level. Also Pees is a proven good coach so the other side of the ball is getting an upgrade. PLUS we have an (on paper) easy schedule. Everything is pointing towards having good reason to be excited about this year.

Excited, not nervous.

There is something about Arthur Smith's demeanor that settles me.  He does not rehearse for interviews.  He does not sell.  He does not embelish.  His story does not change.  Questions do not surprise him.  He has the control to talk to the media and not show frustration.

When I became a consultant, the most difficult part of my job was trying to understand who were allies and who were enemies.  Of course, it goes deeper than that.  Who has the authority or influence to help or hinder.  Most new projects started with a big meeting.  That was where I needed to improve my skills.  I was told the truth.  I was lied to.  It took a while, but I got to the point I could tell if someone was genuine or running an agenda in just a few minutes.  I have not analyzed it enough to describe the difference, but I somehow knew.  Arthur Smith is genuine.  DQ was not.  DK was not smart enough to run an agenda.  He was simply incompetent.

We have a real HC who is going to do what he thinks is best.  He will not cave to QB@4 agendas.  He will not seek out the most popular University of Georgia alumni.  He is taking the best he can get and will coach them up to the best of his ability.  I believe this.  Get ready.  You will see a Falcons team that will do well early on, and will struggle early on.  They will get better and more consistent as the season progresses.  I think by Q4, we will have a modest win/loss record, but will be playing at a level that concerns other teams.

I'm ready for the season. 100% agree about the defense.  As far as AS goes, I really like what I've heard about his desire to hear different opinions, especially when they are contrary to his.  To me this is a sign of great growth, confidence and maturity as a leader.  I feel that this was one of if not DQ's biggest downfall.  That friction, if all are able to navigate through it properly, can create something great.  

At the end of the day, I'm just happy that I don't have to go into the season feeling it's already lost because we retained a mediocre head coach for another year.

1 hour ago, dirtybirds233 said:

This. It'd be hard to imagine the offense picking up a whole new scheme in one year, but I feel like in 2022 this team could really click. 

To see the names attached to these positive vibes gets me excited. Some of you guys know your football inside and out. I'm knowledgeable but I read people really well. What I've seen from the people running this team is no nonsense straight shooting from the get-go. This makes me excited if it translates to the players. Other than that, I'm past ready for football. Nfl, college, high school, pee wee, I don't care.

3 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Dan Quinn was a great head coach the first 3 seasons. We had a historic offense in 2016 and a top 10 defense in 2017.

Can you attribute the historic offense to Quinn? Absolutely not. And 1 top 10 defense? Mehhh. Zero rings. :( 

I’m excited to see if the new coaching staff is able to implement a new style/direction in Falcons football. I’m really hoping to see a more tenacious defense from the Falcons, even though the general consensus is that we don’t have enough talent on that side of the ball.

I'm excited for many reason.  One, we are addressing the evils of the past.  Two, the team is making tough decisions (no sacred cows), three we are fostering competition.  Four we are bringing in teachers to coach and lastly, we got young quick with high football acumen.  The best is yet to come.  

Super excited for a variety of reasons!  Glad to see the doomers have stayed away thusfar tho I'm sure they're en route.

But yes, I'm excited to see what real coaching looks like for once.

4 hours ago, apl2g said:

Nervous about what exactly? We won 4 games, so what is there be be nervous about ? Nervous we will win <4 or something else. Nervous about having to see that gradient uniform?