Who thinks that Mike Davis is going to run through defenses like Michael Turner for the next 2 years?

The scheme alone says that he should have a decent season.  I don't see him getting 1200, but (barring injury) I also don't see him getting less than 800.  He should have right at 1k with TDs. He should have decent tread left being pretty much a career back up and maybe, just maybe he will have the Jamal Anderson affect.  Beat on LBs and DBs most of the first 3 quarters and then they will get tired of trying to tackle him and thats when we go with Patterson/Ollison/whoever in the 4th and eat up clock and yards.

8 hours ago, jetpac said:

Bro there were so many rb1s in this draft late in those rounds we could have taken.

I understand and wanted one. Just not going piss and moan when we have someone capable of filling in. The fo had different plans and they're the ones who make them.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, celtiksage said:

Hey, slow your roll. He ain't going to be MT good. He'll be better than Gurley. 1100-1300 yard seasons would be my ceiling.

Are you counting recieving yds too? Cause I was figuring 300-400 recieving added into that.

Edited by Williamb
Correction

When the Falcons got Turner, I don’t recall myself thinking we got a marquee-type running back. I’d only seen Turner in limited roles with the Chargers up until that point, but I did think he was a good running back. I recall thinking the Falcons had maybe paid too much for him. Then, we saw how good Turner really was that first year in the ATL, and it was clear that TD had made a very solid free agent acquisition. Could Mike Davis be another hidden gem type running back like Turner was? I do like Davis’s highlights; he has a good burst of speed, quick moving feet, good balance, is slippery, changes direction well, and runs hard when he needs to. I think Davis is going to be better than what we had last year and could very well thrive in the new system. He needs to be good for the Falcons to be good, that's for sure.

4 hours ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

I'm sorry but anybody who thought Turner whose highest yardage total at the time was 500 yards yards 2 TDs was going to churn out 1700 yards and 17 TDs his first season here is bs-ing.

You may have known he was going to be good, but not THAT good.

I thought he was going to be alright but yeah, not that good.  But his YPC prior to joining ATL was where the hype came from.  Meanwhile Davis YPC is 3.7.  No way is Davis going to come close to Turner, but Davis will catch better than Turner though.

Posted (edited)

So based off the numbers you guys are throwing around you guys are saying,

1) Saquan

2) Derrick Henry

3) Dalvin Cook

4) C. Maccafrey

5) Mike Davis

6) Zeke Elliot

7) Alvin Kamara

8 Josh Jacobs

9 Aaron Jones

10 ) Nick Chub

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If this guy is on Zeke Elliot/Maccafrey level why has no one picked him up soooner???!!!! 1200 rushing yards is good for 3rd place in league last year.

PASS ME SOME OF THAT GOOD ISH

MAN IS THIS FO GOOD AT FINDING DIAMONDS IN THE RUFF

Edited by BLM

8 hours ago, BLM said:

I thought he was going to be alright but yeah, not that good.  But his YPC prior to joining ATL was where the hype came from.  Meanwhile Davis YPC is 3.7.  No way is Davis going to come close to Turner, but Davis will catch better than Turner though.

Davis isn't going to come close to Turner first year for sure, but Davis may get to where people ACTUALLY thought Turner would be at.

If we think about that, then that's a plus signing, which is what I'm thinking the OP was getting at.

He'll be an upgrade. Doesn't have much mileage so he probably won't hit the wall that running backs his age do. 

Hes no Michael Turner but he doesn't have to be for us to be successful. I will say that like Turner he is a handful to bring down and some players, like Trufant, make business decisions when forced to tackle a wall of muscle running full speed 1v1.

On 7/8/2021 at 10:22 PM, Williamb said:

Carlos hyde, david montgomery, tarik cohen, and christian mccaffrey aren't chopped liver.

Hyde was putting up 900+ rushing yards in year 3 & 4. Cohen a significant run/catch guy from year 1,2,3. Good enough to be a factor for a team.  Montgomery, starting caliber RB absent a better option. Mccaffrey should not be in your list. He is a top NFL talent. 

You missed my point. It took Davis 6 years and 27 years of age to have a significant NFL impact. That's great for him, but I don't see him as a guy that's going to jump out and give us a great running game for the next few seasons.

He has had a good NFL career. I'm not trying to crap on the guy. You can run into a lot of guys in society that made it to the NFL/Professional Baseball, etc. I'm not dismissing their experience or talent. I'm just saying, within the sports world, there is still a pecking order. Davis has talent and ability, but I don't think he will be a standout. He is the guy here because we don't have a better option. 

I don't have a crystal ball and it could go either way, but he doesn't seem like Michael Turner to me if I was placing bets. I see a career similar to Brian Finneran. He had a good career with a few impactful seasons.  Not a star, not saying he has to be, but I didn't start this topic either. 

On 7/9/2021 at 11:12 AM, 4dabirds said:

When the Falcons got Turner, I don’t recall myself thinking we got a marquee-type running back. I’d only seen Turner in limited roles with the Chargers up until that point, but I did think he was a good running back. I recall thinking the Falcons had maybe paid too much for him. Then, we saw how good Turner really was that first year in the ATL, and it was clear that TD had made a very solid free agent acquisition. Could Mike Davis be another hidden gem type running back like Turner was? I do like Davis’s highlights; he has a good burst of speed, quick moving feet, good balance, is slippery, changes direction well, and runs hard when he needs to. I think Davis is going to be better than what we had last year and could very well thrive in the new system. He needs to be good for the Falcons to be good, that's for sure.

I don't think anyone predicted his 1st year success to be Epic! I do believe that most people though we had a bona fide starter at RB who would be a #1 not for a Hall of Famer. Nobody thought the deal was "stupid" or Turner was a gamble.... Read the 2008 article 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=3273710

First , a little trivia:

Davis had the same amount of catches last year as Turner did in his entire Falcons career. Seriously, Davis had 59 catches last year, Turner had 59 catches in 5 years as a Falcon.

Turner had 376 rushes/ 1700 yards/ 17 TDs and nothing passing his first year as a falcon. No way that Davis can, or should do that. 

Best case scenario is he does the same thing here that he did last year and gives us 15-16 D. Freeman type numbers.

You take Davis' stats from his 12 games starting last season and extrapolate them to a 17 game season, you get:
230 rushes/ 900 yard/8 TD &  80 catches/ 500/ 3

310 touches/1400 yards/ 11 TDs would make me very happy. That would remind me of Freeman at his best. That would have been top ten yards from scrimmage last year. (Yes, I know it was 16 game season last year, not doing the math to see exactly  where he'd fit, still likely top 15)

So would 250 touches/900 yards and 7 TDs, as part of a RBBC.

He can be a solid piece in a scheme that makes RBs look good and a HC/OC that isn't going to ignore the run.