Who thinks that Mike Davis is going to run through defenses like Michael Turner for the next 2 years?

The only thing stopping Davis from really shining here will be left guard and center play. But thats a mighty big if on this team right now. 

BUT, the 2 tight end sets with Pitts and Hurst and coverage the defense will have to provide to account for should make some serious mis match in the box. Left guard and Center are just ewww...

Im actually more excited about his receiving chops as this team is constructed, and he blows Turner away in that department.

1 hour ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Wasn't Turner the top FA during that 2008 offseason though?

I remember all of us being excited when the Falcons signed him.

I think Turner was a HOF quality RB. I like Mike Davis as well, I wouldn't bet that Davis will have an All-Pro season year one like Turner did.

Would be very happy to be wrong though.

It will probably feel like an all pro running back after what we had the last 2 seasons. Although I thought Todd Gurley was decent until after the Lions game. 

Michael Turner? No. Less size, less speed, less power than Turner in his prime.

A serviceable back who runs decently, doesn't lose the ball, catches well (much better than Turner ever did) and is responsible with blocking assignments? Sure.

But there are reasons that he's on his 5th team in 6 seasons. He's a relatively low cost placeholder (and he's already 28 years old) until the Falcons find a stud RB in the 2022 or 2023 draft.

1200 yards from scrimmage w/ 8 TD's is what I'm hoping for if everything goes well. 

800-900 yards rushing w/ ~300 receiving. 

Around 70-80 total yards a game is about what I'm expecting. 

22 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Hey, slow your roll. He ain't going to be MT good. He'll be better than Gurley. 1100-1300 yard seasons would be my ceiling.

Agree. Obviously an unfair comparison. The real question is, can he give us a running attack that demands respect? Can he grind for that super-tough two yards on 3rd and 1? Can he catch a contested screen pass and battle through a couple of DB's for a first down on 3rd and 7?

Can he do both those things on a consistent basis? My prediction is yes. He doesn't have blazing speed, but he's good at the POA, he's physical and knows how to get the max out of every carry. I like his chances at 1,300 yards and 11 TD's this season in Smith's run-oriented offense.

5 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I don't think there's any reason to realistically think that

We actually know very little about this guy, Size is not necessarily a guaranty of success.  Who was the huge RB we signed a few years ago that looked like Tarzan, but played like Jane ? He was a total bust.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, jetpac said:

My man averages 3 yards per carry for his career. I’ve said this before, worst FA signing in my humble opinion. There is NOTHING about this man that excites me. In fact this is the first offseason for the Falcons since 2007 that I’ve literally been none excited about. So I’m hoping to be throughly surprised. 

Yep finally someone thats realistic.  Hes good because he can catch and can protect Ryan.  He'll probably get the bulk of the carries since our back up is Patterson.  But hes not a good RB.

Edited by BLM

1 hour ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

I would say his ceiling / use-case is gonna look like the Taints with Ingram. Hopefully a solid 800-1100yds and 7+ TD/year. 

This is my feeling.  He will be the hoss, but we will run different backs to make things interesting.  Mike will be our battering ram and red zone monster.  

2 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Agree. Obviously an unfair comparison. The real question is, can he give us a running attack that demands respect? Can he grind for that super-tough two yards on 3rd and 1? Can he catch a contested screen pass and battle through a couple of DB's for a first down on 3rd and 7?

Can he do both those things on a consistent basis? My prediction is yes. He doesn't have blazing speed, but he's good at the POA, he's physical and knows how to get the max out of every carry. I like his chances at 1,300 yards and 11 TD's this season in Smith's run-oriented offense.

That would be great. And if we ever develop a RB screen game, I would vote AS for POTUS. We haven't had a screen game since way before Vick or MR was drafted. And 11 TDs would be bomb.

I actually went back and looked at this mans stats, it’s worse than I thought. The longest run of his career was just 35 yards and that was 4 years ago. His longest run last season? 25 yards. Wow. He’s been on 4 different teams, hasn’t been able to crack the starting role on any of those, except for Carolina and Seattle due to injury. 

Looks are one thing, actually doing so is another.  4th team in 7 years, not like he has been stuck behind a top 10 RB.  The board does this all the time, we get a guy, just because he has the triangle numbers, he should be a stud.  Life isn't Madden, more to being good and having "it" than just the sum of your physical abilities.

33 minutes ago, isproab said:

Looks are one thing, actually doing so is another.  4th team in 7 years, not like he has been stuck behind a top 10 RB.  The board does this all the time, we get a guy, just because he has the triangle numbers, he should be a stud.  Life isn't Madden, more to being good and having "it" than just the sum of your physical abilities.

Carlos hyde, david montgomery, tarik cohen, and christian mccaffrey aren't chopped liver.

We needed a guy who can protect ryan, get us 1300-1500 all purpose yards, and who can punish in the rz. Like has been said earlier, this is a bridge, a stopgap until we get rb1. He is not expected nor will he ever be expected to break 60yd tds. We don't need that on a pass oriented team. We need the guy who picks up the needed 3-5yds and occasionally breaks one for 15. We got our guy: FOR NOW.

1 hour ago, Williamb said:

We needed a guy who can protect ryan, get us 1300-1500 all purpose yards, and who can punish in the rz. Like has been said earlier, this is a bridge, a stopgap until we get rb1. He is not expected nor will he ever be expected to break 60yd tds. We don't need that on a pass oriented team. We need the guy who picks up the needed 3-5yds and occasionally breaks one for 15. We got our guy: FOR NOW.

Bro there were so many rb1s in this draft late in those rounds we could have taken.

5 hours ago, isproab said:

Yep this thread makes my head hurt I wish these guys would throw out some bets and we put money on it.

7 hours ago, jetpac said:

I actually went back and looked at this mans stats, it’s worse than I thought. The longest run of his career was just 35 yards and that was 4 years ago. His longest run last season? 25 yards. Wow. He’s been on 4 different teams, hasn’t been able to crack the starting role on any of those, except for Carolina and Seattle due to injury. 

Yeah not sure what these guys are smoking.  1200 rushing yards that's like a top 5RB smh

Dude can catch out if the backfield and pass protect I'll give you that.