Jump to content

Building Blocks: Calvin Ridley


Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Avoiding contact will never bother me. Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt had a successful career doing so. The only thing I hate that Rid does while avoiding contact is running sideways instead of staying upfield and getting a few more yards while getting tackled

That drives me nuts when players do that. Get up the field. I always told my kids to do that. It makes a huge difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

That drives me nuts when players do that. Get up the field. I always told my kids to do that. It makes a huge difference.

I always believe in pushing through it. That extra yard or 2 could be what keeps you in field goal range or within inches of a first down at the very least. Provides momentum boost as well. No one can deny that type of player won't get your teammates pumped

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, NorthGaBoy said:

Curious.

JJ is a monster at 6'3" and 220.  Darby is 6' 201.  Ridley is 6'1" and 190.  Gage is 6' 184. Blake is 6'1" and 181.   Zaccheus is 5'8" and 193. 

It looks to me like WRs run 6' 190.  Darby is bigger than that.

Roddy White played at 6' 210.  I loved the way he boxed out defenders with that powerful body.  Is that Darby's style?  It appears he has a knack for getting open, has good hands, good speed, and is not easily brought down.  I did not see him putting his body on defenders like Roddy could, but I did see defenders close to him losing their balance, hitting the ground, and just losing balance allowing Darby to get wide separation. 

 

IIRC Roddy was an all-state wrestler and used a lot of that in his playstyle. Very physical and athletic. 

Darby has that vibe, just not the wrestler mentality of boxing out guys. 

 

  

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

I always believe in pushing through it. That extra yard or 2 could be what keeps you in field goal range or within inches of a first down at the very least. Provides momentum boost as well. No one can deny that type of player won't get your teammates pumped

**** that's why Marshawn Lynch became Beast Mode. 

Players and fans alike recognize when you take that extra step. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

 

IIRC Roddy was an all-state wrestler and used a lot of that in his playstyle. Very physical and athletic. 

Darby has that vibe, just not the wrestler mentality of boxing out guys. 

 

  

**** that's why Marshawn Lynch became Beast Mode. 

Players and fans alike recognize when you take that extra step. 

Yes sirrrr. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, NorthGaBoy said:

Curious.

JJ is a monster at 6'3" and 220.  Darby is 6' 201.  Ridley is 6'1" and 190.  Gage is 6' 184. Blake is 6'1" and 181.   Zaccheus is 5'8" and 193. 

It looks to me like WRs run 6' 190.  Darby is bigger than that.

Roddy White played at 6' 210.  I loved the way he boxed out defenders with that powerful body.  Is that Darby's style?  It appears he has a knack for getting open, has good hands, good speed, and is not easily brought down.  I did not see him putting his body on defenders like Roddy could, but I did see defenders close to him losing their balance, hitting the ground, and just losing balance allowing Darby to get wide separation. 

The 6-or so 200-210 bodies are the best long term wr types, IMO. They’re big and strong enough in traffic, and they’re able to make fast cuts to present targets in the red zone/end zone. 
 

Smaller guys can be neutralized a lot easier between the 20s and big guys are a drag on a quick hit offense in the red zone because they can’t accelerate or cut like a smaller guy.

Roddy was perfectly built for a WR. That wrestling background didn’t hurt, either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...