Kyle Shanahan talks about play calls in SB loss to Patriots.....

14 hours ago, Sipifalcon said:

Man Shanahan is a hate love relationship for me. Smh really wish he was our HC

i said if he would have came back the following year no doubt in my mind we make it back again...but of course he runs like a coward to san fran and screw them for actually waiting for him..i will always have a small hate for them for that..and shannanah ill never forgive him for that..we shouldnt have lost that game..at all..the players played their hearts out and coaches let them down period..and **** right he better go to his death bed regreting that..you robbed an entire city a fan base of a moment we have been dying for..then you ran like a thief in the night yeah **** you for that

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

i said if he would have came back the following year no doubt in my mind we make it back again...but of course he runs like a coward to san fran and screw them for actually waiting for him..i will always have a small hate for them for that..and shannanah ill never forgive him for that..we shouldnt have lost that game..at all..the players played their hearts out and coaches let them down period..and **** right he better go to his death bed regreting that..you robbed an entire city a fan base of a moment we have been dying for..then you ran like a thief in the night yeah **** you for that

You can hold the play calling against him, but you can’t get mad at the guy for leaving to take a head coaching position with the 9’ers.  He’d have been dumb to stay here as OC with a head coaching gig on the table.

I blame Quinn more anyway. He was the HC. He should have reeled Kyle in and told him to go conservative. I understand Kyle’s perspective as his aggressive play calling is what got us to the game and a 25 point lead to begin with. It was Quinn’s job to dictate what we wanted to do with the lead.

Edited by Snafu

25 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

Just made bad decisions at the wrong time. But yes KS DQ cost us a Lombardi. Run run run trot out your pro bowl kicker who’s automatic from that distance- game over. No more than a rec league football coaching decision. It was simple and KS ego got in the way and DQ should’ve stepped in. Coaching determines winners and losers in those situations. Agree to disagree who to blame. It’s a no brainer to most ppl.

As long as you have closure then that works for you I guess.  I listened to his thoughts about it on that interview & I was fine with his explanation.  
You sound bitter still. Sure I’m fine with we shoulda ran it 3 times… Hindsight is always 20/20.  If his reasoning doesn’t please you, then no problem.  Like I said there were too many things in that game that were unpleasant.  I’ve since moved well past it.  

2 hours ago, runshoot said:

*checks notes*   Yup, 3 of the 4 years SFs starting QB went out with injury.  Only played 5, 3 and 6 games respectively. The year that he didn't lose his starting QB, they went to SB.

But yeah, Kyle isn't any good. LMAO!

Look at his overall career.

He usually has 1 good year and then several meh years 

He is a good coach... anyone who Coaches in the NFL for a decade or more is a good coach but he is severely overrated....and his career record is reflective of that.

16 hours ago, Drvillain said:

dang why does mcvay always go on a LONG rant in these. Anyway, I just watched to make sure Kyle didn't throw any shade Ryans way. If he did it would've been riot time

Freeman lost that game when he missed that block in the backfield, resulting in a sack.  At least he was ONE of the culprits.

19 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Guys, sometimes it just doesn’t matter what you do.  No sense hating anyone over it.  There were so many lucky breaks for NE leading up to that series.  I mean how bout that tipped pass that diverted into the hands of their TE and then that other Brady pass that seemed to flutter in the air and drop miraculously into Edelman’s hands with two falcons draped all over him?  That holding call on Matthews was nothing short of criminal grand larceny.  Every single thing that could have went wrong, did.  The fkg missed block by Freeman.  I don’t hate Shanny one bit.  

Somebody has re watched the game. 

I cant do it

19 hours ago, ryanchilled said:

That again lies in the hands of KS having a huge ego and not wanting anything he calls to be overturned.  Dan Quinn was in his comfort zone, just helps out with the defense every now and then, or calls defensive plays and watches the offense.  Quinn was never going to change any game plan on the flydo anything smart, ever.

21 hours ago, ryanchilled said:

Pretty much Kyle Shanahan said he wanted to throw it to Julio no matter what to end the game because Tom Brady had long possessions before that drive.  WTH.  He knew we had injuries on the offensive line, Schreader was out, Mack was playing on a torn up ankle, Tevin Coleman was out.  We had literally zero protection by the end of that game, I am not sure why throwing it would even be a possibility.  If the Falcons get stuffed twice, at least it gives Bryant a chance at a field goal for the win.  If you get stuffed twice and out of field goal range, at least get a punt off to give the other team bad field position.  

Just terrible ego play calling at the end that made no sense.  Kyle wanted to be the hero and he costs us the **** ring. 

And let's not forget that Quinn stood by and did not contribute to the decisions at the most crucial time in franchise history.  The moron stood there and let some kid scuttle a championship.    

SMH.  Let me say that Shanny pretty much sounds like a kid when he admits that Brady affected his play-calling, even if it meant taxing the crippled OL.   

You are right, getting stuffed twice in the center of the field within field goal range.....while running out the clock, is sound judgement play-calling.  

1 minute ago, etherdome said:

And let's not forget that Quinn stood by and did not contribute to the decisions at the most crucial time in franchise history.  The moron stood there and let some kid scuttle a championship.    

SMH.  Let me say that Shanny pretty much sounds like a kid when he admits that Brady affected his play-calling, even if it meant taxing the crippled OL.   

You are right, getting stuffed twice in the center of the field within field goal range.....while running out the clock, is sound judgement play-calling.  

Kyle himself admitted he was rattled and lost his focus because of what Tom Brady was doing.  Falcons were still up, so it wasn't like they needed to score a TD to win the game.  I think Kyle did the same thing with the 49ers when he tried to finish off the chiefs with pass, pass, pass in the most crucial drives of the game. 

I never had as much of an issue with the offensive plays as most of you. If Free makes that block, if Jake doesn't get caught holding, the play calls aren't criticized. It is what it is. Like they said, if you're calling plays scared, you're not going to be a great OC.

Shanahan messed up big time, but so did Quinn.  When Julio makes that ridiculous catch, it should have sealed a fairly straightforward FG for Bryant (who was insanely good that year).  The play was reviewed and there was time for DQ to talk with Shanahan about the next couple plays.  At that point of the game (think it was around 4 min left), you run three straight times forcing them to use their timeouts and set up the FG for Bryant.  On OLine was beat up bad. If he misses, so be it.  Have to play percentages there.  He hits it, the game is done up 2 scores with just the 2min warning remaining.  They need to score a TD with the 2 pt conversion, recover an onside kick, then hit a FG just to tie (or vice versa on the scoring).  Regardless, the percentages of that happening is very low.  DQ and Shanahan are the culprits here.

10 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

As long as you have closure then that works for you I guess.  I listened to his thoughts about it on that interview & I was fine with his explanation.  
You sound bitter still. Sure I’m fine with we shoulda ran it 3 times… Hindsight is always 20/20.  If his reasoning doesn’t please you, then no problem.  Like I said there were too many things in that game that were unpleasant.  I’ve since moved well past it.  

Yes I’m still bitter. I’m been waiting on a Lombardi since ‘75. Those two knuckleheads blew it. It was never hIndsight for me. I was at the game begging to run three straight times. Never crossed my mind to throw the freaking ball. I also watched poor clock management in that game. Bad coaching cost us period. 
I happy for you that you’ve moved on. That’s awesome for you and your long term health. Unfortunately for me I can’t seem to get over it. I’m just not made that way. I just put way too much into being a Falcon Fan. I can forgive but I’ll never forget. One of the worst days of my life. I can’t imagine that game not taking days off my life. I was miserable. I understand his thought process and part of that was the reason we got there. However in that situation he and DQ made poor decisions that will not be forgotten in the history of the franchise. 28-3 and had a chance to pour champagne but chose to roll the dice with an inflated selfish ego. DQ didn’t have the balls to stop him. 
That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. There’s more important things in life family faith friends but the Falcons rank high on my list. The day will come when I get over it but it’s not today.

12 hours ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

He already had a deal in principle with SF prior to the game. Happens with coordinators around the league every year. Was DQ a coward for leaving the Seahawks for us? 

58 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

Yes I’m still bitter. I’m been waiting on a Lombardi since ‘75. Those two knuckleheads blew it. It was never hIndsight for me. I was at the game begging to run three straight times. Never crossed my mind to throw the freaking ball. I also watched poor clock management in that game. Bad coaching cost us period. 
I happy for you that you’ve moved on. That’s awesome for you and your long term health. Unfortunately for me I can’t seem to get over it. I’m just not made that way. I just put way too much into being a Falcon Fan. I can forgive but I’ll never forget. One of the worst days of my life. I can’t imagine that game not taking days off my life. I was miserable. I understand his thought process and part of that was the reason we got there. However in that situation he and DQ made poor decisions that will not be forgotten in the history of the franchise. 28-3 and had a chance to pour champagne but chose to roll the dice with an inflated selfish ego. DQ didn’t have the balls to stop him. 
That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. There’s more important things in life family faith friends but the Falcons rank high on my list. The day will come when I get over it but it’s not today.

Hang in there my friend.  I too took it tough so I certainly understand.  The best medicine will be to see the new regime hopefully make us all proud fans again by gaining our respect again as a team & a fan base.  Hoping for a steady turnaround and maybe even a quick one.  Keep the faith buddy!!

I really don't get the hate for KS. Sure, his 4th quarter playcalling could have been better. The execution by the players also could have been better. So could the officiating. Everything worked against us late in that game, and I'm not going to hate the guy who was arguably the most instrumental ingredient in getting us there in the first place. 

What he does or doesn't do with Trey Lance in the coming years will ultimately determine how he's viewed as a HC, but as a pure OC there's no question he's one of the best in the game. Fortunately I think Arthur Smith is on the same level. 

15 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Yeah I think eventually the Falcons will win achampionship. So many sports teams that have been considered cursed finally won a championship such as the Eagles, Seahawks, Chiefs, Mavericks, Raptors, Nationals, Cubs, Cavs etc.

Look back a bit further and you get the Broncos and Patriots, who were trash until they finally won.

7 hours ago, Lornoth said:

I never had as much of an issue with the offensive plays as most of you. If Free makes that block, if Jake doesn't get caught holding, the play calls aren't criticized. It is what it is. Like they said, if you're calling plays scared, you're not going to be a great OC.

And if you're not calling plays smart, you lose a Superbowl despite a 25-point lead.  No need to be aggressive when your only opponent at that point is the game clock.

7 hours ago, Lornoth said:

Running the ball to kick a field goal for the win is not playing scared... Shanahan said himself he wanted to end it and probably called the most predictable Julio Jones route for the Pats to swallow up on.