I am not excited for this season for some reason

Posted (edited)

Well, I have to admit you guys did help.  I do feel something now.  Smith's potential offense excites me.  I do envision Ridley and Gage on opposite sides and Hurst and Pitts lined up together with Davis in the backfield appealing.  I can see having 2 really good catching TEs being fun to watch.  Patriots did it and made it look like a genius move.  What I keep thinking about is that most will think Smith wants to replicate the Titans offense and try and run the ball like we have Henry, but if he is a genius that I hope he is he will use what we have and make it our offense that can move the ball.  If we 4 good catching targets for Matt and a guy who can pick up the short yardage, that should equate to a very productive offense.

We will see!

Edited by Falcon You

3 minutes ago, Falcon You said:

Well, I have to admit you guys did help.  I do feel something now.  Smith's potential offense excites me.  I do see Ridley and Gage on opposite sides and Hurst and Pitts lined up together with Davis in the backfield appealing.  I can see having 2 really good catching TEs being fun to watch.  Patriots did it and made it look like a genius move.  What I keep thinking about is that most will think Smith wants to replicate the Titans offense and try and run the ball like we have Henry, but if he is a genius that I hope he is he will use what we have and make it our offense that can move the ball.  If we 4 good catching targets for Matt and a guy who can pick up the short yardage, that should equate to a very productive offense.

I believe he will do just that my friend.

On defensive coordinator Dean Pees: “Dean’s body of work kind of speaks for itself. But is Dean is also somebody that is not set in his ways. Dean is very flexible. He’s adaptable. I feel really good about the entire staff, but on the defensive side we got some really good experience over there. Combining that with some young guys, it’s a good mix. Dean and I have a shared vision. We’ll play to our strengths of our team. We’ll be multiple. It was really beneficial for me, being a first-time head coach and I’m still going to call the plays, is that you have somebody with that kind of experience that you can lean on, especially on that side of the ball.”

On his philosophy on how a team should be built: “Obviously, you love to have depth on both sides of the line of scrimmage. I think that helps. If there is one thing that is 100% in the NFL, you’re going to have injuries. It’s hard. It’s hard when you lose (guys) up front. If you don’t have enough guys that can affect the quarterback. Obviously, we all saw the Super Bowl and we saw Tampa (Bay) was able to get after (Chiefs quarterback Patrick) Mahomes. That helps. But again, year-to-year, it changes. Your strengths may be at the skill positions. That’s what I mean playing to your strengths. Certain years we may have a lot of depth at tight end. You have to find ways to … there may be certain games in the season … you back to that COVID game (Tennessee) had against Buffalo on a Tuesday night and we only had four wide receivers up. So, you’re going to lean heavier on the tight ends or maybe you have multiple running back spots … You always love to have depth on both sides of the line of scrimmage in a perfect world. It doesn’t always happen that way, but it definitely helps.”

38 minutes ago, BLM said:

He's a journey man RB that avgs 3.7 ypc.   He's not derrick Henry.  Last time I seen this hype was dj Shockley was gonna be better than vick

What's your old user name?

2 minutes ago, athell said:

I believe he will do just that my friend.

On defensive coordinator Dean Pees: “Dean’s body of work kind of speaks for itself. But is Dean is also somebody that is not set in his ways. Dean is very flexible. He’s adaptable. I feel really good about the entire staff, but on the defensive side we got some really good experience over there. Combining that with some young guys, it’s a good mix. Dean and I have a shared vision. We’ll play to our strengths of our team. We’ll be multiple. It was really beneficial for me, being a first-time head coach and I’m still going to call the plays, is that you have somebody with that kind of experience that you can lean on, especially on that side of the ball.”

On his philosophy on how a team should be built: “Obviously, you love to have depth on both sides of the line of scrimmage. I think that helps. If there is one thing that is 100% in the NFL, you’re going to have injuries. It’s hard. It’s hard when you lose (guys) up front. If you don’t have enough guys that can affect the quarterback. Obviously, we all saw the Super Bowl and we saw Tampa (Bay) was able to get after (Chiefs quarterback Patrick) Mahomes. That helps. But again, year-to-year, it changes. Your strengths may be at the skill positions. That’s what I mean playing to your strengths. Certain years we may have a lot of depth at tight end. You have to find ways to … there may be certain games in the season … you back to that COVID game (Tennessee) had against Buffalo on a Tuesday night and we only had four wide receivers up. So, you’re going to lean heavier on the tight ends or maybe you have multiple running back spots … You always love to have depth on both sides of the line of scrimmage in a perfect world. It doesn’t always happen that way, but it definitely helps.”

Man, I hope so.  I think Hurst is a great TE and adding Pitts makes that TE room a **** of a lot more exciting.  I appreciate you helping me see that.

Just now, Falcon You said:

Man, I hope so.  I think Hurst is a great TE and adding Pitts makes that TE room a **** of a lot more exciting.  I appreciate you helping me see that.

Don't get me wrong, it may blow up in our faces lol but I feel the arrow is pointing in the right direction and a lot of that has to do with Smith/Pees and Fontenot.  Did a lot of film work on Smith's prior offenses and man I'm excited, he knows how to scheme guys open and attack vulnerabilities.  Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, athell said:

I don't blame you for not being excited given the history of our franchise but if I may...

1.  Dean Pees - We FINALLY have a defensive coach who should at the very least give us an average defense vs the garbage tier defenses Quinn and co. have given us.  All off season we loaded up on utility guys who can play up and down the line and Pees uses these types of players wisely to generate pressure

2.  Arthur Smith - We FINALLY have our offensive guru we have longed for since Shanny, but unlike Shanny, he isn't going anywhere and no one is going to poach him.  I mentioned in another thread but go look at the Titans offensive stats before Smith's arrival and after.  It's night and day.

3.  Terry Fontenot - Our GM has methodically gone about this offseason with high character, low floor types of free agents and went out and drafted for upside in the draft.  In Uncle Terry we trust

4.  Kyle Pitts - Need I say more?

5.  Dwayne Ledford - Going to work wonders with our OL

6.  We didn't really lose anyone worth a dang imo - Yeah Neal is the most high profile but he looked slow and lost in coverage after his injuries.  Woulda loved to keep him in some capacity but I don't think he is a big loss.

7.  Schedule - We got that sweet 4th place schedule

8.  Julio - Losing Julio will allow Matt to take what the defense gives.  Too many times Matt has tried to force feed Julio to force feed Julio missing wide open crossers and flats that cost this team plenty of points.

9.  Mike Davis - Coupled with AS, we should FINALLY have that run game we have all desired

I could go on but I think there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic.  Whether they pan out or not is a whole nother story, but there is hope.

This is an extremely big one that people aren't comprehending!! This is the first time in Matt Ryan's career that he's not going into the game with the pressure to get Roddy his or get Tony G his or get Julio his. He can just go into the games knowing he can take whatever the defense gives him.

1 hour ago, BLM said:

Lmao the Mike Davis hype is real.  Dude seriously he's a journey man RB and avgs 3.7 ypc.  Stop making him out to be derrick henry 

Last time I seen this hype was when dj Shockley gonna be greater than Mike vick

Mike Davis only has gotten significant carries in 2 years in the NFL and he showed well in those 2 years.

• 2018 - SEA - 112 Carries, 514 Yards (4.6), 4 TD
  • 2020 - CAR - 165 Carries, 642 Yards (3.9), 6 TD

46 minutes ago, Falcon You said:

Very true, but him throwing endzone INTs was hard to watch.  I still pray every time he steps back in the redzone

Red Zone interceptions has never been a major issue for Ryan. It's just one of my overblown narratives about him that are just plain wrong.

2 hours ago, Romfal said:

I'm in "show me" mode. No reason to get excited until we see the new product on the field

If there’s no reason to get excited, then what’s the point in throwing away three hours of your time every week?

Ive been through nearly every good, bad and ugly season the team has had, and I’m still excited on game day.

6 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

If there’s no reason to get excited, then what’s the point in throwing away three hours of your time every week?

Ive been through nearly every good, bad and ugly season the team has had, and I’m still excited on game day.

Enjoying Football and wanting your team to win, is not the same thing as expecting it

There's just no data on these coaches in these positions and with these players. No way we could know what to expect

Just now, hjerry said:

Enjoying Football and wanting your team to win, is not the same thing as expecting it

There's just no data on these coaches in these positions and with these players. No way we could know what to expect

Yep, but the words excited and expected aren’t synonymous. 

3 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Yep, but the words excited and expected aren’t synonymous. 

Don't worry. The moment we make a defensive stop, or nice run, or good pass, or even better a turnover on defense or a TD, and even better...win, I'll perk right up

2 hours ago, Falcon You said:

• Can't see the Defense being any better.  We didn't add anyone and basically have a new Secondary.
  • Losing Julio didn't help. 
  • Will Ridley be as good without Julio? 
  • Running back is an if. 
  • Last time Matt lost his center, he struggled.
  • Will Matt take a year or two to learn the offense? And thus struggle this year.
  • Will the OL protect Matt to allow him to be successful.

• Can't see the Defense being any better.  We didn't add anyone and basically have a new Secondary.

Legitimate concern. Our only hope here is that Pees, who has a proven track record, can put some lipstick on this pig. 

No, but Ridley, Gage, and Pitts is still a very formidable trio. 

Ridley already proved this last year when Julio missed 9 games. 

• Running back is an if.

Mike Davis is an immediate upgrade over Gurley-Hill-Smith

That was 2013, and McClure was replaced by a huge bust in Peter Konz. 

• Will Matt take a year or two to learn the offense? And thus struggle this year.

This is an unknown that can't be answered, but I'll just say I trust that a 13 year vet who's on his 5th OC should be able to learn quickly.

• Will the OL protect Matt to allow him to be successful

Another unknown that is a legitimate concern 

28 minutes ago, ryanchilled said:

Sure glad GREAT threads like this doesn't get locked and banned.  What a relief to hear about fans not being excited about the upcoming season, I better just go watch Nascar instead. 

What's the issue with his post again? At least he's not crying about not selecting Fields or losing Julio. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this thread.

Mike Davis reminds me of the Mike Turner signing. No one thought much of Turner other than he was a backup who showed flashes. Then in his first game he broke the franchise single game rushing record.  

I would not be surprised for the team to breakout week one against the Eagles like they did in 2008 v Detroit.

2 hours ago, BLM said:

He's a journey man RB that avgs 3.7 ypc.   He's not derrick Henry.  Last time I seen this hype was dj Shockley was gonna be better than vick

Last I checked 3.7yds x 3 equals a first down. I have no problem with that average...we don't need no stinkin derrick henry...lol

3 hours ago, Falcon You said:

I just don't have that excited feeling for this upcoming season like any other season the past 30 years.  Regardless, of how we looked I was still excited.  I don't know what it is.  I have so many questions and doubts and I guess that is killing it for me.  This is not a negative or bash the Falcons thread.  I am just not excited and don't like feeling that way. 

Am I crazy for feeling this way or thinking this things;

• Running back is an if. 
  • Will the OL protect Matt to allow him to be successful.

I know these are normal concerns, but it seems like all these concerns are serious and the core of a good football team.  

I'm sure most will tell me to Shut up and go somewhere troll, but maybe some will tell me something that will give me that exciting feeling for this upcoming season.

If it will make you feel any better then go ahead and “EMBRACE THE SUCK!” LOL. 

35 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Mike Davis reminds me of the Mike Turner signing. No one thought much of Turner other than he was a backup who showed flashes. Then in his first game he broke the franchise single game rushing record.  

I would not be surprised for the team to breakout week one against the Eagles like they did in 2008 v Detroit.

Davis does not have the speed like Turner did....and he wore down as the season went on in Carolina.

For all the bluster...he averaged less than 4 a carry. 

I do think that he could have a good first few games...it is going to be important for the backs behind him to contribute if/when they get a chance..

There are legit concerns...but honestly every team has those.

I expect that new coach bump.....how long that lasts is going to be up for debate but the schedule is pretty favorable early enough.

Hopefully Smith's first 6 or 7 as a first time HC are better than the first 6 or 7 as a first time OC.

11 minutes ago, Williamb said:

Last I checked 3.7yds x 3 equals a first down. I have no problem with that average...we don't need no stinkin derrick henry...lol

Gurley had 3.5  last year...which is also a first down every 3 runs....but that was not good enough last year and 3.7 or 3.9 won't be good enough this year unless the passing game is just on fire.