I am not excited for this season for some reason

I just don't have that excited feeling for this upcoming season like any other season the past 30 years.  Regardless, of how we looked I was still excited.  I don't know what it is.  I have so many questions and doubts and I guess that is killing it for me.  This is not a negative or bash the Falcons thread.  I am just not excited and don't like feeling that way. 

Am I crazy for feeling this way or thinking this things;

• Can't see the Defense being any better.  We didn't add anyone and basically have a new Secondary.
  • Losing Julio didn't help. 
  • Will Ridley be as good without Julio? 
  • Running back is an if. 
  • Last time Matt lost his center, he struggled.
  • Will Matt take a year or two to learn the offense? And thus struggle this year.
  • Will the OL protect Matt to allow him to be successful.

I know these are normal concerns, but it seems like all these concerns are serious and the core of a good football team.  

I'm sure most will tell me to Shut up and go somewhere troll, but maybe some will tell me something that will give me that exciting feeling for this upcoming season.

There is a lot to unpack here, but I will give it a shot:

1. Defense will be better for no other reason than the offense should be a lot more balanced. That will keep the defense off the field. Less opportunities for opposing offenses, defense won't be as worn out come the 4th quarter, etc.

2. Julio was hurt half of last year anyway, and is replaced by Pitts. Even if Pitts is 75% JJ, we will be fine.

3. CR was actually better without JJ last year.

4. RB is a question mark, but he absolutely cannot be worse than a 1 legged, on the end of his career TG.

5. Matt is the least of my worries.

6. See #5.

7. OL will definitely be better with better coaching.

There is a lot to be excited about. I see 11 wins best case, and 8 wins worst case. Either way, we should be in contention for a WC.

Last season is when I checked out. I was surprised how little I missed it. If felt like the team was in a rut and it was easy to predict how the season would go.

Playoffs this year? I doubt it, but I am excited again. I'm interested in how Smith uses the players and how Ridley, Pitts, and the O-line respond. I'm interested in what Pees can do with the defense and what Richie Grant might show. 

8 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

There is a lot to unpack here, but I will give it a shot:

1. Defense will be better for no other reason than the offense should be a lot more balanced. That will keep the defense off the field. Less opportunities for opposing offenses, defense won't be as worn out come the 4th quarter, etc.

2. Julio was hurt half of last year anyway, and is replaced by Pitts. Even if Pitts is 75% JJ, we will be fine.

3. CR was actually better without JJ last year.

4. RB is a question mark, but he absolutely cannot be worse than a 1 legged, on the end of his career TG.

5. Matt is the least of my worries.

6. See #5.

7. OL will definitely be better with better coaching.

There is a lot to be excited about. I see 11 wins best case, and 8 wins worst case. Either way, we should be in contention for a WC.

You my man are a gentleman and a scholar, as they say.  You have that optimism that I am struggle to get this year. 

Defense scares me. Julio's productivity was low last year, but it scares me he wants out.  He thinks we don't have a chance and that is what concerns me.  I really has never been 100% his entire career, but has still been productive.  I think with Hurst and Pitts, we won't be missing Julio, but I wonder if him not having faith in this team, should I?  And when Matt is unfamiliar with the scheme, he throws a lot of INTs.  Hope that is not the case this year.  Hoping Smith gives him a playbook he can handle quickly.

18 minutes ago, Falcon You said:

I just don't have that excited feeling for this upcoming season like any other season the past 30 years.  Regardless, of how we looked I was still excited.  I don't know what it is.  I have so many questions and doubts and I guess that is killing it for me.  This is not a negative or bash the Falcons thread.  I am just not excited and don't like feeling that way. 

Am I crazy for feeling this way or thinking this things;

• Can't see the Defense being any better.  We didn't add anyone and basically have a new Secondary.
  • Losing Julio didn't help. 
  • Will Ridley be as good without Julio? 
  • Running back is an if. 
  • Last time Matt lost his center, he struggled.
  • Will Matt take a year or two to learn the offense? And thus struggle this year.
  • Will the OL protect Matt to allow him to be successful.

I know these are normal concerns, but it seems like all these concerns are serious and the core of a good football team.  

I'm sure most will tell me to Shut up and go somewhere troll, but maybe some will tell me something that will give me that exciting feeling for this upcoming season.

Defense wasn’t nearly as bad last year as everyone seems to believe. Ridley did fine without Julio on the field last year. Mike Davis is a major upgrade over Todd Gurley. But baring all that, Terry Fontenot and Arthur Smith should have you excited.

It makes sense.  We were 4-12 last year.  It's an in between year for us.  We have one foot in rebuild mode (drafting pitts which will take 3 years to develop and trading julio) and one foot in win now mode (resigning Ryan).

Defense is not much better, your sentiment is probably accurate and we may end up being 8-9 or 9-8

2 minutes ago, Falcon You said:

You my man are a gentleman and a scholar, as they say.  You have that optimism that I am struggle to get this year. 

Defense scares me. Julio's productivity was low last year, but it scares me he wants out.  He thinks we don't have a chance and that is what concerns me.  I really has never been 100% his entire career, but has still been productive.  I think with Hurst and Pitts, we won't be missing Julio, but I wonder if him not having faith in this team, should I?  And when Matt is unfamiliar with the scheme, he throws a lot of INTs.  Hope that is not the case this year.  Hoping Smith gives him a playbook he can handle quickly.

Julio has reportedly wanted out since 2018.

I don't blame you for not being excited given the history of our franchise but if I may...

1.  Dean Pees - We FINALLY have a defensive coach who should at the very least give us an average defense vs the garbage tier defenses Quinn and co. have given us.  All off season we loaded up on utility guys who can play up and down the line and Pees uses these types of players wisely to generate pressure

2.  Arthur Smith - We FINALLY have our offensive guru we have longed for since Shanny, but unlike Shanny, he isn't going anywhere and no one is going to poach him.  I mentioned in another thread but go look at the Titans offensive stats before Smith's arrival and after.  It's night and day.

3.  Terry Fontenot - Our GM has methodically gone about this offseason with high character, low floor types of free agents and went out and drafted for upside in the draft.  In Uncle Terry we trust

4.  Kyle Pitts - Need I say more?

5.  Dwayne Ledford - Going to work wonders with our OL

6.  We didn't really lose anyone worth a dang imo - Yeah Neal is the most high profile but he looked slow and lost in coverage after his injuries.  Woulda loved to keep him in some capacity but I don't think he is a big loss.

7.  Schedule - We got that sweet 4th place schedule

8.  Julio - Losing Julio will allow Matt to take what the defense gives.  Too many times Matt has tried to force feed Julio to force feed Julio missing wide open crossers and flats that cost this team plenty of points.

9.  Mike Davis - Coupled with AS, we should FINALLY have that run game we have all desired

I could go on but I think there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic.  Whether they pan out or not is a whole nother story, but there is hope.

2 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Defense wasn’t nearly as bad last year as everyone seems to believe. Ridley did fine without Julio on the field last year. Mike Davis is a major upgrade over Todd Gurley. But baring all that, Terry Fontenot and Arthur Smith should have you excited.

I agree, but I am unsure about Smith.  He seems weird in a genius kind of way and that makes me hope he is Belichick kind of weird.  Most geniuses are socially ackward and he doesn't interview well and makes me hope he is a genius.

3 minutes ago, athell said:

I don't blame you for not being excited given the history of our franchise but if I may...

1.  Dean Pees - We FINALLY have a defensive coach who should at the very least give us an average defense vs the garbage tier defenses Quinn and co. have given us.  All off season we loaded up on utility guys who can play up and down the line and Pees uses these types of players wisely to generate pressure

2.  Arthur Smith - We FINALLY have our offensive guru we have longed for since Shanny, but unlike Shanny, he isn't going anywhere and no one is going to poach him.  I mentioned in another thread but go look at the Titans offensive stats before Smith's arrival and after.  It's night and day.

3.  Terry Fontenot - Our GM has methodically gone about this offseason with high character, low floor types of free agents and went out and drafted for upside in the draft.  In Uncle Terry we trust

6.  We didn't really lose anyone worth a dang imo - Yeah Neal is the most high profile but he looked slow and lost in coverage after his injuries.  Woulda loved to keep him in some capacity but I don't think he is a big loss.

8.  Julio - Losing Julio will allow Matt to take what the defense gives.  Too many times Matt has tried to force feed Julio to force feed Julio missing wide open crossers and flats that cost this team plenty of points.

9.  Mike Davis - Coupled with AS, we should FINALLY have that run game we have all desired

I could go on but I think there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic.  Whether they pan out or not is a whole nother story, but there is hope.

Great breakdown.  All that sounds really good.  I, honestly, hope all that is true and we compete this year. 

I am very skeptical about the defense regardless of Pees.  We didn't have any money to spend for Pees, so he is inheriting some crap. 

I do hope Smith is the genius we have been looking for. 

It is exhausting not being able to pick up a 3rd and 1, so I hope we can finally do that with Davis.  

What puts a toll on me is that we only have a little more time with Matt before he is gone and we need to do something soon.  I just don't want to waste another year.  I have never been a huge Matt Ryan fan.  I have always said he doesn't have that "fire" I want in my QB, but he is skilled enough to win us a SB.  So, I will ride with him until he can't.  We just have to make it quick.

9 minutes ago, Falcon You said:

I wish I shared that feeling.  I can't find it in me to rise up.

I said I find the upcoming season interesting, not necessarily with high expectations. The last 2 years, I knew the offense would be boring because of Koetter. And I knew the defense would be same old with Quinn still as HC. We actually have new play callers and our head coach in particular brings with him an offense that is very successful. We will certainly be more fun to watch this year. If you have expectations of SB or disappointment, then yea, it's going to be hard to get excited. But if you are looking to see growth, production, and improvement in efficiency, there is plenty to be excited about. Honestly, if Quinn and Koetter had been retained, I probably wouldn't watch any games this upcoming year. Now I want to watch. 

2 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I said I find the upcoming season interesting, not necessarily with high expectations. The last 2 years, I knew the offense would be boring because of Koetter. And I knew the defense would be same old with Quinn still as HC. We actually have new play callers and our head coach in particular brings with him an offense that is very successful. We will certainly be more fun to watch this year. If you have expectations of SB or disappointment, then yea, it's going to be hard to get excited. But if you are looking to see growth, production, and improvement in efficiency, there is plenty to be excited about. Honestly, if Quinn and Koetter had been retained, I probably wouldn't watch any games this upcoming year. Now I want to watch. 

Yeah bud.  I agree with all of that.  I was so mad when we signed Koetter.  He was garbage the 1st time and was again.  Not sure how he keeps a job in the NFL.

14 minutes ago, athell said:

I think the loss of Julio has many, many fans only stuck on that and have ignored everything else that's happened. 

2 minutes ago, Falcon You said:

Great breakdown.  All that sounds really good.  I, honestly, hope all that is true and we compete this year. 

I am very skeptical about the defense regardless of Pees.  We didn't have any money to spend for Pees, so he is inheriting some crap. 

I do hope Smith is the genius we have been looking for. 

It is exhausting not being able to pick up a 3rd and 1, so I hope we can finally do that with Davis.  

What puts a toll on me is that we only have a little more time with Matt before he is gone and we need to do something soon.  I just don't want to waste another year.  I have never been a huge Matt Ryan fan.  I have always said he doesn't have that "fire" I want in my QB, but he is skilled enough to win us a SB.  So, I will ride with him until he can't.  We just have to make it quick.

I don't blame you, like I said, it's rough sledding as a Falcon fan lol but I do think Pees is going to turn this defense into at least an average defense which would be a drastic improvement.  We don't necessarily need big money guys, and for the first time in a while, seems like our depth isn't a weakness.  We may not have the top end talent, but we have a lot of solid talent and I think that will pay dividends down the line.

Smith is the truth man, I am legit pumped for this season even without Julio.  Go check out the Titans stats before and after him, honestly, he rocketed them immediately.  His mix of pre snap motion and play action and 12 personnel is going to be a HUGE HUGE bump for this offense.  You will see guys running free all over ala 2016.

Matt has the fire, I just think he is worn down from the lack of oline, lack of run game and lack of defense throughout his career.  It has to be exhausting.  I think Matt's fire is one of the most underrated things about him, he is a fierce competitor but he's only one man and he has been drastically held back by his coaching.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, athell said:

Lmao the Mike Davis hype is real.  Dude seriously he's a journey man RB and avgs 3.7 ypc.  Stop making him out to be derrick henry 

Last time I seen this hype was when dj Shockley gonna be greater than Mike vick

Edited by BLM