Jump to content

Nate McMillan - Hawks New Head Coach


jayu70
 Share

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, Beef said:

He was likely getting this even if we hadn’t gotten past the 76’ers.  Well deserved. This team likes playing for him, and he’s got the perfect temperament without trying to be a “friend” to the players. 

He does blind the I’m your coach, not your friend mindset wonderfully. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Beef said:

He was likely getting this even if we hadn’t gotten past the 76’ers.  Well deserved. This team likes playing for him, and he’s got the perfect temperament without trying to be a “friend” to the players. 

Trae mentioned on radio a couple weeks ago.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

My only real concern is that Nate has been ousted from jobs previously due to lack of offensive production. There were several times in the playoffs where there wasn’t any ball movement and bad possessions. I hope this doesn’t continue going forward. 

Exactly my thoughts. The ball stalled way too many times whether Trae was in there or not. People standing still. Rarely any cuts to the basket, barely any establishing offense from the inside-out by sending the ball in the low post for an easy dunk, kick out for 3, or hand off to a cutting wing for a layup. The half-court offense was atrocious way too often. Iso-ball and shoot, iso-ball and shoot, iso-ball and shoot. There is the Trae lob to the bigs on the pick and roll which seemed to disappear after the Knicks series. It’s been purely live and die by jump shots. When the shots weren’t falling - the Hawks were falling into 15+ point deficits. Absolutely zero offensive looks/adjustments to fall back on that wasn’t just pure jump shots. What I saw was FAR from Championship basketball.

Defensively, I didn’t see a systematic approach that absolutely smothers and collapses defenses including highly efficient switches. The positives on defense between Reddish, Hunter, and Okongwu I believe are attributed more to the individual talents those guys are rather than a systematic approach. 

I hope I’m wrong, and that Nate can improve. About 17-18 years experience as a Head Coach and still having these problems is concerning. He’s definitely earned the HC position, and probably should win Coach of the Year (Thibodeau already won it though), and I get the feel-good story, that Atlanta fans always love holding onto, of how Nate elevated the Hawks this year. The barometer I’m looking at though isn’t Nate’s Hawks vs Pierce’s Hawks. It’s Nate’s Hawks in the playoffs against other teams. The Bucks series and even the 76ers series were NOT pretty. 

Again, I hope I’m wrong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, CTann said:

Defensively, I didn’t see a systematic approach that absolutely smothers and collapses defenses including highly efficient switches. The positives on defense between Reddish, Hunter, and Okongwu I believe are attributed more to the individual talents those guys are rather than a systematic approach. 

The difficulty in that is the Trae Young codundrum. You can't play a switching defense. Nate as interim-head coach coached Hunter for maybe 10 games, Reddish for 6 games (Regular season and playoffs) so I'm not sure how much can be gleaned from that.

As Nate has said, he didn't change much from Pierce's offense and defense, he just made tweeks, I expect with a full offseason and training camp we'll see some modifications to those schemes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jayu70 said:

The difficulty in that is the Trae Young codundrum. You can't play a switching defense. Nate as interim-head coach coached Hunter for maybe 10 games, Reddish for 6 games (Regular season and playoffs) so I'm not sure how much can be gleaned from that.

As Nate has said, he didn't change much from Pierce's offense and defense, he just made tweeks, I expect with a full offseason and training camp we'll see some modifications to those schemes.

Good post and great points.

Defensively, I need to not see those corner 3’s being left completely open with enough space to build a Walmart between the shooter and nearest defender. Idk how much of that had to do with purposefully not giving room in the paint though. Personnel-wise, Capela played soft which really hurt us in the paint and on the boards. That was bad. Connaughton swiping the ball away from Capela in the paint Game 6 was the epitome of what had been going on. 

I’m hoping a full offseason together with Nate as HC makes a world’s difference. My expectations aren’t high, other than the amount of talent that’s on the roster, but we’ll see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, CTann said:

Connaughton swiping the ball away from Capela in the paint Game 6 was the epitome of what had been going on. 

It's the guard or SF responsibility to put a body on Connaughton so our bigs can secure the rebound, that's where it starts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jayu70 said:

It's the guard or SF responsibility to put a body on Connaughton so our bigs can secure the rebound, that's where it starts.

Yeah, but I’m just saying THAT play right there was a summary, in a nutshell, of how soft we were inside.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...