Idea from another post....Worst Falcons draft pick of all time regardless of the round it was taken

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Really? Dude played for over 10 years in the  NFL. Hard to say it was that bad. 

Kelly’s rookie year was 8/146 and zero TD.

I don’t even think TE was a team need that draft? Also.. didn’t we trade a pick to get him in the second round??

im not saying he was a bust, he had like 12 seasons in the NFL but I could see why someone would select him as  not being a great draft pick FOR the Atlanta Falcons.

agree though that he wasn’t bad just not the right choice by the front office that draft.

Edited by BeardyMan

8 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

/thread.

See here's my thing with Bruce and why I argue Anderson was worse.

You look at those drafts, and Bruce the consensus best prospect in that draft. Everybody thought he was going to be great. He wasn't really an awful pick at the time. Then you have nonsense like moving him to tight end from the coaches, and I honestly believe he could've been at least average as a player with better coaching. Plus, even despite all that, he still played almost twice as many years in the NFL than Anderson and finished his career with 32 sacks vs Anderson's 7.5.

Bruce was a vastly superior player in the NFL over his career than Anderson. It's not just about being young or old.

2 hours ago, BeardyMan said:

I don’t even think TE was a team need that draft? Also.. didn’t we trade a pick to get him in the second round??

im not saying he was a bust, he had like 12 seasons in the NFL but I could see why someone would select him as  not being a great draft pick FOR the Atlanta Falcons.

agree though that he wasn’t bad just not the right choice by the front office that draft.

Not a team need? Kelly was drafted by Dan Reeves because we had no TE. None. We were a Run-N-Shoot team under first Glanville then under June Jones. They literally never used the TE. Once Reeves took over he had to take desperate measures to stock the shelves. He drafted Kelly in the second then a couple of years later took Alge Crumpler in the 2nd also.  

I just question the logic of calling a drafter player a bad pick when that player ended up with a pretty darn good career. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Falcon said:

Overstreet looked good just couldn’t stay healthy at all. And JA98 was at least a good run stopper.  But yeah atrocious pass rusher which is what we drafted him to be. 

to me it’s Konz. He was our first pick that year and he wasn’t even a decent backup. 

132 total tackles, averaging 22 a season

27 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Not a team need? Kelly was drafted by Dan Reeves because we had no TE. None. We were a Run-N-Shoot team under first Glanville then under June Jones. They literally never used the TE. Once Reeves took over he had to take desperate measures to stock the shelves. He drafted Kelly in the second then a couple of years later took Alge Crumpler in the 2nd also.  

I just question the logic of calling a drafter player a bad pick when that player ended up with a pretty darn good career. 

First part of my comment was me asking if TE was a team need?

All I could remember was OJ Santiago during the 90’s.

yes TE was a need. 

Apr 17, 1999:  Ravens traded 1999 2nd round pick (42nd overall, Reggie Kelly) to Falcons for 2000 1st round pick (5th overall, Jamal Lewis)

****195 catches for 1700 plus yards and a total of 5 TD in 12 seasons.****

again the TE position was a need , no he shouldn’t be considered a bust like some of the other players that have been mentioned in this topic. 

Reggie Kelly was a good player overall and throughout his career but when you see that the Falcons gave up a 2000 first rounder to get him, I question more the FO then the player.

3 hours ago, BeardyMan said:

10 years he finished with 5 touchdowns and just over 1700 yards. His career as a Falcon was horrible for the acquisition. I don't know what you guys consider good but he wasn't it

Irrespective of round, you're talking about guys who never even made the roster like Marcus Green in 2019. Personally think JA98 was the worst pick, given where he was picked and who was still on the board.

17 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

10 years he finished with 5 touchdowns and just over 1700 yards. His career as a Falcon was horrible for the acquisition. I don't know what you guys consider good but he wasn't it

Good was not the word I was looking for. Should’ve really thought about this one before I responded. The stats sum it all up as well.

for what we gave up to get him… it was a loss for us.

(I had spinal surgery 9 days ago and I think the pain meds and muscle relaxers are making me more sympathetic and indecisive- lol) 

2 minutes ago, BeardyMan said:

Good was not the word I was looking for. Should’ve really thought about this one before I responded. The stats sum it all up as well.

for what we gave up to get him… it was a loss for us.

(I had spinal surgery 9 days ago and I think the pain meds and muscle relaxers are making me more sympathetic and indecisive- lol) 

Share some of those muscle relaxers. 👀

On 7/4/2021 at 5:13 PM, Voice of Reason said:

Really? Dude played for over 10 years in the  NFL. Hard to say it was that bad. 

But the trade it took to get him was nonsensical. Gave up a 1st in the following year.

But that might be a different discussion.

3 minutes ago, dirtybirds233 said:

Anyone from the 2012 class. 

Every single one was out of the NFL by the time their rookie contracts expired. 

Really, this may be one of the worst draft classes of all time. 

That year was bad across the NFL. Ours was bad, but so were lots of others.

21 hours ago, Williamb said:

Hageman could have been great

Vic could have been too. At least he showed up a few times. Hageman's biggest career highlights were two blocked extra points.