Are TE's overvalued

I think it depends on the make up of of the team.i was looking at the top te's and how many of them have a ridley?the only ones i saw was kelce and gronk.those two played in the Superbowl.pitts is in a good spot.his value could be high.

Not concerned with the kid being covered by corners. He is big and fast. The offense has the advantage with scheme.

They will get tired of getting ran over in the run gm if they keep lining up inside with him next to a tackle. 

45 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I bet 98% didn't even watch the video

Likely. I did watch it. And I think aside from a solid QB a great TE does more than they are typically paid for.  If you look at the Niners, the Aints (sorry but true), the Bucs/Pats and the Chiefs, Browns the TE had a bigger role than WRs in critical wins. over the last 8-10 years anyway. Wideouts get the glory for big plays but I would not make the counter point that they are more valuable than a great TE. 

Point is we may have a gold nugget in Pitts.  And after a few years we’re gonna have to pay him. 

I believe it depends on the QB.. If you gave Ryan Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, and Jerry Rice they would basically be useless because Ryan don't have the range to take advantage of their speed.. But if you gave Ryan any decent TE he could carve a defense up.. Matter or fact, a mediocre slot receiver and te would be way more valuable to Ryan than 3 of the games fastest wr'ers.. I believe Pitts will help Ryan have a staple season this year.. As long as Ryan is our QB we need to focus on drafting te's, slot receivers, and rb's if we want to get the best out of Ryan.. Any receiver going past 30 yards is just wasting his time in this offense.. 

Also believe Julio will probably have one of his best years this season with the titans.. And that's not a dig on Ryan.. Julio is just in a better situation that can take advantage of his speed and routes 

Posted (edited)

Slummy I agree with what you said except about jj. Now to my real reason to post... I think that pitts, as, and everyone involved would be drooling over teams posting a 5'11, 190lb cb on him as their game plan. Give me that matchup or a slow *** lb all day and 15 times on sunday and he will beat you up, take your lunch money, and kiss your mama in thanks.

.....it would look like trae young trying to guard embid.

Edited by Williamb
Addition

44 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

I believe it depends on the QB.. If you gave Ryan Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, and Jerry Rice they would basically be useless because Ryan don't have the range to take advantage of their speed.. But if you gave Ryan any decent TE he could carve a defense up.. Matter or fact, a mediocre slot receiver and te would be way more valuable to Ryan than 3 of the games fastest wr'ers.. I believe Pitts will help Ryan have a staple season this year.. As long as Ryan is our QB we need to focus on drafting te's, slot receivers, and rb's if we want to get the best out of Ryan.. Any receiver going past 30 yards is just wasting his time in this offense.. 

Also believe Julio will probably have one of his best years this season with the titans.. And that's not a dig on Ryan.. Julio is just in a better situation that can take advantage of his speed and routes 

Yeah I know.  That's why Julio really never became a decent receiver with Ryan at the helm.  

With another QB he could have maybe had the most yards per game ever.

47 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

Lmao this is a ridiculously bad take. Like, all of it.

6 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

Yeah I know.  That's why Julio really never became a decent receiver with Ryan at the helm.  

With another QB he could have maybe had the most yards per game ever.

Let me ask you this, do you even watch Falcons games? If so, I wouldn't have to explain to you how many times Julio had to stop to catch a pass or even run backwards to have a chance at getting a pass past 30 yards.. Ryan is a smart QB, I like some things about Ryan.. But I'm not going to lie to myself that he has a big arm or is accurate throwing deep balls.. See that's realistic 

2 hours ago, Ians0280 said:

I think it depends on the make up of of the team.i was looking at the top te's and how many of them have a ridley?the only ones i saw was kelce and gronk.those two played in the Superbowl.pitts is in a good spot.his value could be high.

Great point. There are no "generic" teams in the NFL. Position value is based on team and schemes at the team level. There are also no "generic" TEs. Even if it were a given that the position is routinely over valued, that doesn't mean that one specific TE who is highly valued is over valued. 

Oddly enough, the title of this thread is a fine question, but it isn't really descriptive of the posted video. All of them agreed, in one way or another, that it depends on the tight end. I didn't see where any of them implied the position is overvalued. In fact, the question the video started with is: "Are TEs undervalued?"

Posted (edited)

No I think they are fairly valued.  Contract numbers say they are worth less than WRs, QBs, DEs and more which makes sense.  They are more valuable than kickers and punters which also makes sense.

Production wise suggests this too.  They love hyping TEs because that's the position they always say NBA players would play.  Like imagine if lebron was a TE...

Edited by BLM

29 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Tightends, running backs, and safeties are severely undervalued. Those positions are asked to do so much and to be fair, many of them also line up in the slot. Actually, all of those positions. They are not throw away or dime a dozen. They are severely undervalued.

Top end tight ends and safeties have been a staple of the past few super bowl teams.

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Top end tight ends and safeties have been a staple of the past few super bowl teams.

For longer than that. People forget the days of those dangerous mis match TEs. Ask Aikman or Montana just how important a TE can be. Favre, Elway, and even Manning can vouch. Drew Brees since Graham has gone is just a stat machine. Then safeties have closed out more games than a few, it was a lack of a good safety and the ridiculous hyperbole of "you don't need Earl Thomas" that made people overlook Allen's role in that SB loss. 

56 minutes ago, falcndave said:

Great point. There are no "generic" teams in the NFL. Position value is based on team and schemes at the team level. There are also no "generic" TEs. Even if it were a given that the position is routinely over valued, that doesn't mean that one specific TE who is highly valued is over valued. 

Oddly enough, the title of this thread is a fine question, but it isn't really descriptive of the posted video. All of them agreed, in one way or another, that it depends on the tight end. I didn't see where any of them implied the position is overvalued. In fact, the question the video started with is: "Are TEs undervalued?"

I didnt watch the video.guilty as charged.like you said the title was a good question.it made me do some research.

1 hour ago, Slumerican said:

Let me ask you this, do you even watch Falcons games? If so, I wouldn't have to explain to you how many times Julio had to stop to catch a pass or even run backwards to have a chance at getting a pass past 30 yards.. Ryan is a smart QB, I like some things about Ryan.. But I'm not going to lie to myself that he has a big arm or is accurate throwing deep balls.. See that's realistic 

You said Ryan wouldn't be able to do anything with 3 of the best receivers of all time.  When in fact, the plain reality is he helped one become the highest yard/game leader.

So you plainly don't understand how that worked.