Why Matt Ryan may NOT struggle year one under Arthur Smith.

Matt Ryan doesn't always struggle year one under new offensive coordinators. He did very well in 2012 during Dirk Koetter's very first year here and Matt Ryan played well his rookie season in 2008 under Mike Malarkey.

2015 may have been different because Matt Ryan was learning a whole new offense (West Coast offense under Kyle Shanahan)2 and had a liability at center. 

In 2017 Sark was forced to learn a whole new offense and was basically asked to run Kyle Shanahan's offense. 

2019 the Falcons defense was so bad the offense never had a chance and Dirk Koetter's scheme appears to have become outdated.

Arthur Smith will be running his offense which is similar to Kyle Shanahan's. Matt Ryan should feel comfortable in this offense rather quickly. 

I expect the Falcons offense to do just well enough to win 4 of their first 5 games and start to be clicking on all cylinders shortly after the bye week.

I’ve been vocal before. But the combination of a close game coach/scheme and potential focus on TE and RB carrying more load instead of relying on fast route receiving will totally benefit Ryan.  Honestly it’s been apparent that routing primarily to Jones and Rid was not sustainable. It kept us in games but didn’t close games. 
I trust that Smith and pals know what they are doing with the roster they have.  

Just keep Blank off the field in the 4th quarter haha!

50 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

I’ve been vocal before. But the combination of a close game coach/scheme and potential focus on TE and RB carrying more load instead of relying on fast route receiving will totally benefit Ryan.  Honestly it’s been apparent that routing primarily to Jones and Rid was not sustainable. It kept us in games but didn’t close games. 
I trust that Smith and pals know what they are doing with the roster they have.  

Just keep Blank off the field in the 4th quarter haha!

That is very interesting. I wonder if Arthur Blank will do that with Terry Fontenont and Arthur Smith at the helm. It seems like bad luck every single time.

1 hour ago, Jesus said:

Shanny doesn’t like to adjust his offenses for the players he has. That’s why he has had limited success everywhere he’s been. In 2016 he adjusted the offense with plays Ryan was familiar with and they played great. Then he forgot to run the ball at critical moments.

Yup.

For all of the genius talk that he gets...as I have  pointed out several times ... his actual success has been extremely limited.

The biggest thing is going to the be Smith and Ryan being on the same page and Ryan and the other guys getting the verbiage down.

52 minutes ago, Gnorts said:

Strong words, 'may not!'.  Right up there with 'our defence might be middle of the pack!'..

These topic titles have me thinking we are going to suck this year:)

I think the Falcons will make the playoffs. If it wasn't for TB and GB I think the Falcons have just as good of a chance as anyone to make the super bowl.

3 minutes ago, Bunchy Carter said:

Out of curiosity, because I don't recall seeing it explained here. Why do people seem to be aggravated by Blank on the sideline? 

Non-scientific. But over the last several seasons it’s become a jinx in close games. When we’re ahead by a small margin late and he paces the sideline we lose. It’s a joke but it tracks. 

2 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

Yup.

For all of the genius talk that he gets...as I have  pointed out several times ... his actual success has been extremely limited.

The biggest thing is going to the be Smith and Ryan being on the same page and Ryan and the other guys getting the verbiage down.

There’s a reason why Smith is here and it wasn’t to draft a rookie QB.

17 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I think the Falcons will make the playoffs. If it wasn't for TB and GB I think the Falcons have just as good of a chance as anyone to make the super bowl.

Why? If your going to throw out something like that, then you have to explain why a 4-12 team is suddenly a contender?? Is it the top end free agents that we have this year? Is it because we lost Julio and teams no longer have to double a Falcons player? Or is it the loss of the same coach that 90% of this forum called "the greatest coach in Falcons history".

On 7/4/2021 at 12:23 PM, Jesus said:

Shanny doesn’t like to adjust his offenses for the players he has. That’s why he has had limited success everywhere he’s been. In 2016 he adjusted the offense with plays Ryan was familiar with and they played great. Then he forgot to run the ball at critical moments.

Kyle Shanahan did not adjust his offense to fit Matt Ryan. Matt Ryan had to learn how to execute Kyle Shanahan's offense the way Kyle wanted it to be done. People just had this weird idea that Ryan wasn't athletic enough to handle all the bootlegs and rollouts and throwing on the move that is a staple of the traditional west coast offense. I don't know what made people think he couldn't handle that kind of stuff considering he's far more athletic than given credit for.

On 7/4/2021 at 12:23 PM, Jesus said:

The dumbest thing I’ve read this week.

Guy literally created Taylor Gabriel. 

Made Coleman an animal in the passing game.

Allowed Freeman to thrive.

Used Sanus catch radius.

Posted (edited)

In all of those years, the offense has come out very strong the first 4 games. That’s how long it usually takes before defenses begin to adjust. In 2015, teams realized Matt couldn’t get past his first read. In other years, teams just started coming up with better game plans as the year went on. I expect the Falcons to start strong, but due to having a better coach, the Falcons will sustain that level, even though there will be some drop off after the first few weeks. 

Edited by NashvilleFalcon01

On 7/4/2021 at 12:15 PM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

That is very interesting. I wonder if Arthur Blank will do that with Terry Fontenont and Arthur Smith at the helm. It seems like bad luck every single time.

I cringe every time I see that. Reminds me so much of Jerry Jones.