2021 Hawks Offseason thread.

jayu70

2 hours ago, Beef said:

This is pretty ignorant.

Volume of rebounds doesn’t determine good vs bad.  Do you even know how the game of basketball works, for Christ sake??

If a defense allows their opponent more possessions and 2nd chance opportunities, your volume of rebounds would be higher, but you’re still rebounding at a horrid rate.

That was the Hawks prior to Capela and the scheme shift.

Oh get out of here with that ish.

Your original argument was clearly about getting JC heavily back in the paint. You made this apparent by explicitly stating that 2 bigs no longer work in the paint in the modern NBA and therefore we need to move on from Capela because he lives in the paint and is therefore the inhibiting factor to JC’s “feature”.

You didn’t say the exact words, but you very obviously made that the context of your assertions many times.

And again, nobody can possibly believe we can keep the same scheme and play-set after replacing Capela with a center like Dedmon while also reducing JC’s perimeter game and making him play in the paint more often.

You’re simply trying to weasel your way out of this by acting like you didn’t mean these things because you didn’t say the exact words.

This is lame AF and you know it.  Anyone who’s actually read our debate here knows what you were meaning, and knows you’re being intellectually dishonest about it now.

You dug your hole, now deal with it.  It’s a bad take, and would make us worse, and it’s all because you are hung up on the money.

Rebound Chance percentage shows a similar change. Went from 54% to 58%. 

I really didn't dig myself a hole. As I said, you tried to create stawman arguments to knock down. Even if I wanted Collins in the paint more, that doesn't equal the extreme of asking him to "live purely in the paint".  It is easy to dispute someone saying Collins should only work in the paint, especially when he is a 40% 3pt shooter on okay volume.  

But we are just going in circles at this point. I am just gonna drop it. 

41 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Youngest player in CBB last year and barely made the cut (turns 19 in December). He has a good shot and is active on defense. I’d honestly be okay taking him at 20. He’s got great upside 

Yeah he has a nice shot and has decent size at 6’6. He’s a 2 however in the NBA.  Definitely worth the look though!

I've been stewing alot over Capela and wanting to upgrade him for someone that can finish at the hoop at a higher efficiency. I've come to realise that just ain't going to happen, so really want to see him develop this offseason.

I also want to see Okungwu develop further and take some playing time off Capela.

Sign Collins to be a 20 and 10 guy and a legit backup PG. Would love to see Patty Mills in ATL. 

I wonder what it would take to get KAT from the Wolves. Can we get him without parting with Hunter, Reddish and Collins? I don’t even include Trae because he’s untouchable. Would prefer to keep Bogi and Big O too 

17 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I wonder what it would take to get KAT from the Wolves. Can we get him without parting with Hunter, Reddish and Collins? I don’t even include Trae because he’s untouchable. Would prefer to keep Bogi and Big O too 

KAT will more than likely cost the farm and he also has motivational issues despite putting up good numbers on bad teams.

He's been knock for a couple of years now for not having that drive to be great. He's been satisfied with just being good enough to get paid.

What about Mo Bamba? A young 7 foot center with a 7'10 wingspan that's been growing into his body and putting on weight along with improving his game these first few years in the NBA. Has plenty of potential both defensively and offensively.

Bamba would be significantly cheaper plus the Magics would to need to get at least something for him before he leaves in FA after next season. Could end up being a steal.

Again, if we're gonna replace Capela, it has to be with someone who can play at a similar level wrt defense and rebounding. Clint was elite at both this past season. We shouldn't lose sight of that because we got overwhelmed by the massive Bucks.

That's the promise of OO, who's upside seems to be Capela 2.0 with some actual touch around the basket.

KAT would be interesting, but I'm quite sure KAT/JC would be one of the worst rim protecting PF/C duos in the league.  His offense and shotmaking paired with Trae would make us probably the most dynamic offense in the league. But our defense might be 20 or lower. 

56 minutes ago, Willy Mo said:

Again, if we're gonna replace Capela, it has to be with someone who can play at a similar level wrt defense and rebounding. Clint was elite at both this past season. We shouldn't lose sight of that because we got overwhelmed by the massive Bucks.

That's the promise of OO, who's upside seems to be Capela 2.0 with some actual touch around the basket.

KAT would be interesting, but I'm quite sure KAT/JC would be one of the worst rim protecting PF/C duos in the league.  His offense and shotmaking paired with Trae would make us probably the most dynamic offense in the league. But our defense might be 20 or lower. 

Wouldn't the Hawks have to give up either Reddish or Hunter with Huerter and few other pieces along with picks in a package deal for KAT though?

3 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Wouldn't the Hawks have to give up either Reddish or Hunter with Huerter and few other pieces along with picks in a package deal for KAT though?

That too. The poor rim defense would be even more obvious because we would lose either 1 or 2 or our 3 best perimeter defenders.

1 hour ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

KAT will more than likely cost the farm and he also has motivational issues despite putting up good numbers on bad teams.

He's been knock for a couple of years now for not having that drive to be great. He's been satisfied with just being good enough to get paid.

What about Mo Bamba? A young 7 foot center with a 7'10 wingspan that's been growing into his body and putting on weight along with improving his game these first few years in the NBA. Has plenty of potential both defensively and offensively.

Bamba would be significantly cheaper plus the Magics would to need to get at least something for him before he leaves in FA after next season. Could end up being a steal.

Oooooh I like the Bamba idea. Does he come with the song as well? We could possibly get him and keep our entire core together mostly. No one is trading Hunter or Cam for Bamba lol. No one sane at least. 

On 7/14/2021 at 8:00 PM, blkbigdog35 said:

Yeah he has a nice shot and has decent size at 6’6. He’s a 2 however in the NBA.  Definitely worth the look though!

Bama has 3 players coming out to this year. I love Primo of course, but no one can deny that Herb Jones, SEC Defensive and Player of the Year was the man of that team last year. Also John Petty Jr. is a stud.

I think Jones needs to work on his shooting, but overall, I think he is a better pick than Primo. 

I hope the Hawks give Petty a look too in RD 2-3, he is solid.

JMHO

6 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

That’s the biggest downside on him for me. Idk if he improves us that much if at all. Losing Hunter or Cam takes away a good bit of perimeter defense and we need that in today’s NBA 

14 hours ago, tl;dr said:

That’s the biggest downside on him for me. Idk if he improves us that much if at all. Losing Hunter or Cam takes away a good bit of perimeter defense and we need that in today’s NBA 

If we were taking on KAT I'd send over Bogdan, Heurter, Capela, Sign and trade Collins. 

Young, Reddish, Hunter, OO, KAT is young but man thats Nasssttyyy.

1 hour ago, maorifalcon said:

If we were taking on KAT I'd send over Bogdan, Heurter, Capela, Sign and trade Collins. 

That is good, but that still might be more than I want to give up for KAT. 

I think I like the Mo Bamba suggestion a little more

1 hour ago, maorifalcon said:

No thx. I'd rather bet on what the Hawks have already than make that trade. That's a lot of depth you're sacrificing for KAT, and I don't think he's worth it.

8 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Interesting prospect!

I hope not. Dude can’t score, rebound, or play defense.

There are so many bigs to choose from in the second round that look better.

Jay Huff is my favorite, and I don’t care he’s already 22yo. He could step right in day 1 and contribute. And he is perfect for our scheme.

Luka Garza and Neemi Queta are great second round options too.

As suspected, Giddey is now a top-10 prospect, so he’s out as a first round PG option for us. I was pointing him out when he was sitting at the back end of most big boards. Knew he would move way up.

I still want Cooper or Butler at 20. Preferably Cooper. Or even Preston.

If Collins leaves, which I pray he does not, I think we still don’t pick a PF at 20 and instead replace him in FA.  Although there isn’t really anyone to “replace” his production.

9 hours ago, maorifalcon said:

I fear we would be a worse team with this lineup and loss of depth.

OO has no PnR chemistry with Trae, nor does he have any perimeter scoring consistency. And KAT may not be a scheme fit. PnR isn’t his strong suit, and he’s not known for rim defense.

We want a 4 & 5 that can hold the paint down against the Embiid’s and Giannis’, but OO and KAT would actually be a step down from JC and Capela in this regard.

And then, who the heck comes off the bench when Reddish and Hunter rest??  And is Nathan Knight now the permanent backup at 4 and Gallo at 5?

It’s pretty much an entire scheme change to make this work.

We just missed going to the championship by 2 games with our current scheme.  Why are we so dead set on trying to fix something that isn’t broken and clearly works great?

All we really need is Reddish and Hunter to stay healthy and keep improving/developing/building chemistry with the scheme, a backup PG who runs the floor exactly like Trae, probably a 7-footer who can spell Capela and body up bigs, and then ultimately just find a way to keep our existing core together for the next 2-3 years.