Buddy Curry

13 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I think he might be coaching. Not 100% sure that.

He did have a son who was a senior playing at Georgia Tech. I don't remember him getting drafted this year though.

What happened to him in his playing career? Did he get hurt? It's just weird that a guy as good as he was would just disappear at age 29.

52 minutes ago, Lowndesfalc said:

I remember him well as a player. Awesome Falcon. Of course information was so limited in those days. AJC was pretty much the only source which was pitiful by today’s standards. 

15 minutes ago, marvinthemartian said:

It used to really suck when there was zero information on the Falcons in the off-season and the only information during the season was from the AJC

I live almost 600 miles from Atlanta. Back in the day, my local paper was lucky to insert a paragraph about the Falcons per week. I used to get all of my team information from football yearbooks and two-day old copies of the AJC. I'll never forget stopping by the newsstand on my way to work, grabbing a copy of the AJC and reading about William Andrews' injury. My whole day (and then week) was shot from an emotional standpoint.

In 2021, I can spend hours looking up Falcons information and still not get my fill of news.

7 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I have a question for the old timers, Buddy Curry was defensive rookie of the year in the NFL in 1980 and immediately the leader of the Falcons defense for many years and then right in the middle of his prime his career was over. What happened to him?

He had some nagging injuries, but just decided to call it quits. It was very low key. He runs a youth charity in Atlanta now.

17 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I have a question for the old timers, Buddy Curry was defensive rookie of the year in the NFL in 1980 and immediately the leader of the Falcons defense for many years and then right in the middle of his prime his career was over. What happened to him?

16 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I think he might be coaching. Not 100% sure on that.

He did have a son who was a senior playing at Georgia Tech. I don't remember him getting drafted this year though.

15 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I remember him only playing a few games that last season with the Falcons in 87'. I think it was due to injury, been so long ago.

Maybe the injury forced him to retire?

15 hours ago, Lowndesfalc said:

I remember him well as a player. Awesome Falcon. Of course information was so limited in those days. AJC was pretty much the only source which was pitiful by today’s standards. 

I remember Buddy Curry well, former 2nd rnd pick, played college ball alongside Lawrence Taylor I -think-.   Curry played ILB and MLB for us.

Curry's contract had expired, he wanted more money than the Falcons were willing to pay.  Back then, even if a players contract was up, the team still had that players' 'rights'..... players had to be released by the team before that player could negotiate with another NFL team.   Naturally this forced players wages down.... they could only negotiate with 'thier' team.   

Curry probably could have forced a trade.... but back then it was harder on players to move.   Curry had roots here, was coming off an injury, was playing a position with a sorter shelf life... and was tired of losing, which the Falcons were doing a lot of back then.   The impression I got was, Curry got fed up and took a 'screw it' attitude in regards to ever playing again.   The guy just stopped playing.

Curry leaving opened up a spot at ILB\MLB.... either that year or next, Curry was replaced by some UDFA named Jesse Tuggle....

14 hours ago, Jesus said:

So I did a lil research…

He was co-defensive rookie of the year in 1980 with teammate Al Richardson who set the record for ints by a linebacker with seven. Some kind of defense back then for at least one season.

Our defenses in 1977 and 1980.... plus our Super Bowl defense under Dan Reeves.... those were fun times, watching Falcons' opponents getting slammed by our D.

The 1977 and 1980 defenses we had, actually had less overall talent than what the Falcons have, right now.   Those teams had some things going for them... they had good aggressive defensive coaches, the players were tough guys, they had pride and most of all, they were football players first.... athletes second.

Which is why I think Arthur Smith and Dean Pees are going to have success here.  I see a -lot- of echoes of 1980 going on right now, such as:   veteran QB.... committing to the run game.... going to a 3-4 alignment, ..... drafting a TE with our 1st pick (Junior Miller seventh in 1980)....

On 7/3/2021 at 5:30 PM, AUTiger7222 said:

He was the beneficiary of the 1980 post gritz blitz defense. A tackling machine but average pass rusher and cover backer. Got hurt in his last year. Can’t remember if it was a knee or a concussion.

On 7/3/2021 at 7:14 PM, Lowndesfalc said:

The AJC sports section was a thousand times better back then than it is now.

8 hours ago, g-dawg said:

The AJC sports section was a thousand times better back then than it is now.

Man I used to consume AJC for sports page like a crack attic, constantly got in trouble in high school for reading in class

On 7/4/2021 at 11:22 AM, egoprime II said:

Our defenses in 1977 and 1980.... plus our Super Bowl defense under Dan Reeves.... those were fun times, watching Falcons' opponents getting slammed by our D.

The 1977 and 1980 defenses we had, actually had less overall talent than what the Falcons have, right now.   Those teams had some things going for them... they had good aggressive defensive coaches, the players were tough guys, they had pride and most of all, they were football players first.... athletes second.

Which is why I think Arthur Smith and Dean Pees are going to have success here.  I see a -lot- of echoes of 1980 going on right now, such as:   veteran QB.... committing to the run game.... going to a 3-4 alignment, ..... drafting a TE with our 1st pick (Junior Miller seventh in 1980)....

Pass defense was pretty good in the early seventies too.

On 7/3/2021 at 6:06 PM, AUTiger7222 said:

What happened to him in his playing career? Did he get hurt? It's just weird that a guy as good as he was would just disappear at age 29.

Players call it a career early sometimes because its a game that takes a toll on your body. Maybe he didn't want to live the rest of his life in pain.

On 7/3/2021 at 6:51 PM, DonOfThemBirds said:

I remember him only playing a few games that last season with the Falcons in 87'. I think it was due to injury, been so long ago.

Maybe the injury forced him to retire?

I’m almost sure that was the case.

(not Scott, but just a normal regular case) 😏