Silver lining of not drafting Justin Fields

3 hours ago, BLM said:

A Te is to a wr like a fb is to a rb.  Anyone who isn't good enough to be a rb becomes a fb.  FB and TE are like the fall back for those without elite skills (quickness, routerunning, catching, etc...) to play the premier position. 

Yet another ignorant analogy.

Dude, you’re embarrassing yourself.

22 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Are you serious? Anyone with half a brain knows the NFL is all about mismatches. An athletic TE matched up with slower/smaller LBers and SS creates mismatch havoc for DC’s.

Think!

That’s not how he thinks. He thinks numbers and stats. Not what’s in front of his own 2 eyes…hence he actually referenced Harry Douglas. Dude is a lost cause 

38 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Yet another ignorant analogy.

Dude, you’re embarrassing yourself.

Dude clearly never heard of guys like William Andrews, John Riggins, Larry Csonka and Mike Alstott. Try telling those guys to their face that they were only fullbacks cause they weren't good enough to be true running backs. Dude would pee his pants.

7 hours ago, Mr.Blank said:

Why are we still talking about Justin Fields?

Exactly! He is not a Falcon, he is a Chicago Bear. Justin Fields threads need to be moved to around the NFL section. Move on already. 

Cannot wait until I am able to start my own thread. 

I am going to pick at random from the 200+ players we didn't need and who weren't the best available, and encourage people to help me understand why it is good he got picked after Kyle Pitts.

It will be awesome.

On 7/3/2021 at 11:44 AM, vafalconfan said:

I think it's great that all fans of all levels can come on here and voice their opinions.. that's what a message board is for. So here's my opinion of your post...if you think these 3 quarterback's failings are the result of poor coaching you have not been paying attention. These 3 are at best career backups and everyone knows it.. I think poor drafting is more in play here,,

And don't get me started on Dave Ragone.  Ragone was the QB coach for the Bears and ended the careers of 3 QBs.  Mike Glennon (signed a 3yr 45M contract), Nick Foles (a Superbowl MVP) and Mitch Trubisky (a second overall pick).  That's a hat trick on ending careers and now he's our OC.  Trubisky looked horrible out there and having Ragone definitely did not help.

I wouldn’t count Trubisky out. He played well down the stretch last year. He could excel in the right situation. Dude has a decent skill set

11 hours ago, Vandy said:

Are you serious? Anyone with half a brain knows the NFL is all about mismatches. Opposing DC’s see top tier NFL WRers on pretty much a weekly basis. But an athletic TE matched up with slower/smaller LBers and SS creates mismatch havoc for them. 

Think!

You guys can stick your head in the sand all day, I only look at real data.  And know what, athletic TEs have lower production than athletic WRs.  Vernon Davis ran a 4.4 and couldn't top 1000 yards receiving.  As much denial as you want, the fact is WRs have greater production and are a premier position.  Just like RBs are alpha to FBs.

Top WRs will alwasy be more valuable than top TEs. 

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

I wouldn’t count Trubisky out. He played well down the stretch last year. He could excel in the right situation. Dude has a decent skill set

If Fields and Trubisky both ball out, that's a really bad look for our OC Dave Raggone.  That would mean the second he left, QBs started getting developed.

Edited by BLM

On 7/2/2021 at 8:34 PM, BLM said:

Predraft some had speculated that the Falcons may draft a quarterback.  Post draft, it actually may have been wise for the Falcons to not draft one.  Looking at the coaching staff, the team definitely is not suited to develop a QB.

Sure Arthur Smith was credited with turning Ryan Tannehills career around, but do realize that Tannehill was a long time veteran before he became a Titan, which is a much different ball game than coaching up a rookie.  Not saying Smith can't develop a rookie QB, but there is no track record of doing so.  Smith, also has an extensive background coaching TEs, and did a great job with making Delanie Walker a threat.  Walker reached 1000 yards under Smith one year in just 15 games, while hitting over 800 yards in various others.  Which makes the Pitts pick make sense.

Had the Falcons drafted a QB the bulk of the work would fall into the hands Charles London (QB coach) and Dave Ragone (OC) and boy are we in trouble if these two guys had to develop a rookie QB.

First off, London is RB coach by trade not a QB coach.  In fact he has never worked with QBs (prior to the Bears he was RB coach for the Texans). He couldn't get Jordan Howard, a pro bowler to work for the Bears and so the Bears had to ship him off.  Howard had the lowest YPC of 3.7 of his career under London.  Bears ended up spending a third round pic on David Montgomery, who was ineffective his first year under London also averaging 3.7 YPC.

And don't get me started on Dave Ragone.  Ragone was the QB coach for the Bears and ended the careers of 3 QBs.  Mike Glennon (signed a 3yr 45M contract), Nick Foles (a Superbowl MVP) and Mitch Trubisky (a second overall pick).  That's a hat trick on ending careers and now he's our OC.  Trubisky looked horrible out there and having Ragone definitely did not help.

While Arthur Smith may be a good coach, the staff he assembled is VERY substandard.  We have a lackluster RB coach as our QB coach and we have a terrible QB coach as our Offensive Coordinator.  Both OC and QB coach are very important to the team more so than other coaches except for DC.

Had we drafted Fields or another rookie QB, it almost certain we will run him to the ground.

This team will live and die by Smith, we can only hope he's as good as advertised.  The rest of the coaching staff are just sideline bodies.

Oh Jesus...

On 7/3/2021 at 10:13 PM, Herr Doktor said:

I feel sorry for the kid.  Wildly overvalued by the locals, and ends up in Chicago where there has not been a decent QB since the 60's.  He has an uphill battle.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Bears fans are tough, and the moment he struggles, they will turn on him. it's not going to end well for him there. He might succeed in the NFL, but I don't think it will be in Chicago. Their fans will think he is the savior, and they will make the job unbearable. It's going to be a train wreck.

22 minutes ago, BLM said:

If Fields and Trubisky both ball out, that's a really bad look for our OC Dave Raggone.  That would mean the second he left, QBs started getting developed.

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. Trubisky sucks, and Fields will NOT be successful in Chicago. It will be a train wreck just like your posts.

23 minutes ago, BLM said:

You guys can stick your head in the sand all day, I only look at real data.  And know what, athletic TEs have lower production than athletic WRs.  Vernon Davis ran a 4.4 and couldn't top 1000 yards receiving.  As much denial as you want, the fact is WRs have greater production and are a premier position.  Just like RBs are alpha to FBs.

Sorry to break it to you, but there's more to being a receiver than running a 4.4. Pitts is the real deal, and speed is just part of his repertoire. He has size, and an incredible wing span. Not to mention he runs routes like a WR. This dude is going to redefine the TE position.

25 minutes ago, BLM said:

Why, because they get paid more? 

IMG_0386.thumb.JPG.0b1c43563dd81e7a5306fbc77463f336.JPG

On 7/4/2021 at 6:23 PM, AUTiger7222 said:

Since 2019 I’ve been calling Pitts the next Gronkowski. Bro you know my mom is a Florida fan so I watch a lot of their games and Pitts is a game changer. He’s a WR with the body of a TE. Folks are gonna be stunned when Ryan looks like MVP again throwing to this guy.

I love the Dawgs, so I always watch the Florida/GA. game. He is a monster! Super excited he is a Falcon. 

Guys.  Want this BS to stop?  Put the stupid people and pot stirrers on ignore.  Done.  They are gone.

How long do you think they will make up absurd concepts and predictions when no one gives them the attention they desperately need?  Have you ever been around a kid who throws temper trantums each time they either want attention or did not get their way?  You ignore it a few times and they exhaust themselves.  After a while, they figure out it is better for them to accept that they are not the center of the universe than continuing the fight.  You are dealing with spoiled children in this thread.

Ignore them. 

• Rings locked this topic