Silver lining of not drafting Justin Fields

Posted (edited)

Predraft some had speculated that the Falcons may draft a quarterback.  Post draft, it actually may have been wise for the Falcons to not draft one.  Looking at the coaching staff, the team definitely is not suited to develop a QB.

Sure Arthur Smith was credited with turning Ryan Tannehills career around, but do realize that Tannehill was a long time veteran before he became a Titan, which is a much different ball game than coaching up a rookie.  Not saying Smith can't develop a rookie QB, but there is no track record of doing so.  Smith, also has an extensive background coaching TEs, and did a great job with making Delanie Walker a threat.  Walker reached 1000 yards under Smith one year in just 15 games, while hitting over 800 yards in various others.  Which makes the Pitts pick make sense.

Had the Falcons drafted a QB the bulk of the work would fall into the hands Charles London (QB coach) and Dave Ragone (OC) and boy are we in trouble if these two guys had to develop a rookie QB.

First off, London is RB coach by trade not a QB coach.  In fact he has never worked with QBs (prior to the Bears he was RB coach for the Texans). He couldn't get Jordan Howard, a pro bowler to work for the Bears and so the Bears had to ship him off.  Howard had the lowest YPC of 3.7 of his career under London.  Bears ended up spending a third round pic on David Montgomery, who was ineffective his first year under London also averaging 3.7 YPC.

And don't get me started on Dave Ragone.  Ragone was the QB coach for the Bears and ended the careers of 3 QBs.  Mike Glennon (signed a 3yr 45M contract), Nick Foles (a Superbowl MVP) and Mitch Trubisky (a second overall pick).  That's a hat trick on ending careers and now he's our OC.  Trubisky looked horrible out there and having Ragone definitely did not help.

While Arthur Smith may be a good coach, the staff he assembled is VERY substandard.  We have a lackluster RB coach as our QB coach and we have a terrible QB coach as our Offensive Coordinator.  Both OC and QB coach are very important to the team more so than other coaches except for DC.

Had we drafted Fields or another rookie QB, it almost certain we will run him to the ground.

This team will live and die by Smith, we can only hope he's as good as advertised.  The rest of the coaching staff are just sideline bodies.

Edited by BLM

Arthur Smith did not pick the names of his QB coach and OC out of a helmet. The three had worked together for the Titans in 2011. That was the season when the CBA talks sparked a lock-out and coaches had no contact with players until August. With no players to coach, the three got to know one another well over many hours of deep football discussion and debate.

Smith respects these coaches and enjoys working with them, even to the point where he is perfectly fine in a heated debate with one or all of them over any given topic. And that works each way. All foresaw some day working together with Smith because of that strong bond and shared passion for the game.

Whatever problems that might have occurred with a rookie QB are irrelevant. What we did do ~ drafting Kyle Pitts ~ was exactly what we should've done. This The Athletic article gives the details. Not at all worried about the quality of our (assistant) OC or QB coach.

https://theathletic.com/2673790/2021/06/29/how-the-2011-lockout-helped-arthur-smith-build-his-falcons-staff/

1 hour ago, BLM said:

Predraft some had speculated that the Falcons may draft a quarterback.  Post draft, it actually may have been wise for the Falcons to not draft one.  Looking at the coaching staff, the team definitely is not suited to develop a QB.

Sure Arthur Smith was credited with turning Ryan Tannehills career around, but do realize that Tannehill was a long time veteran before he became a Titan, which is a much different ball game than coaching up a rookie.  Not saying Smith can't develop a rookie QB, but there is no track record of doing so.  Smith, also has an extensive background coaching TEs, and did a great job with making Delanie Walker a threat.  Walker reached 1000 yards under Smith one year in just 15 games, while hitting over 800 yards in various others.  Which makes the Pitts pick make sense.

Had the Falcons drafted a QB the bulk of the work would fall into the hands Charles London (QB coach) and Dave Ragone (OC) and boy are we in trouble if these two guys had to develop a rookie QB.

First off, London is RB coach by trade not a QB coach.  In fact he has never worked with QBs (prior to the Bears he was RB coach for the Texans). He couldn't get Jordan Howard, a pro bowler to work for the Bears and so the Bears had to ship him off.  Howard had the lowest YPC of 3.7 of his career under London.  Bears ended up spending a third round pic on David Montgomery, who was ineffective his first year under London also averaging 3.7 YPC.

And don't get me started on Dave Ragone.  Ragone was the QB coach for the Bears and ended the careers of 3 QBs.  Mike Glennon (signed a 3yr 45M contract), Nick Foles (a Superbowl MVP) and Mitch Trubisky (a second overall pick).  That's a hat trick on ending careers and now he's our OC.  Trubisky looked horrible out there and having Ragone definitely did not help.

While Arthur Smith may be a good coach, the staff he assembled is VERY substandard.  We have a lackluster RB coach as our QB coach and we have a terrible QB coach as our Offensive Coordinator.  Both OC and QB coach are very important to the team more so than other coaches except for DC.

Had we drafted Fields or another rookie QB, it almost certain we will run him to the ground.

This team will live and die by Smith, we can only hope he's as good as advertised.  The rest of the coaching staff are just sideline bodies.

Who is your team?  I feel like popping over to your forum and trashing your team.  GTFOH.

MR2 would mentor him anyway, which would be good for any rookie qb, including Franks. 

The Ragone as OCpick wasn't my first choice either... come to think of it, not in my top 20, but if Arthur calls plays, I'm ok. I just hope it's not too much on his plate

1 hour ago, BLM said:

How are we going to judge a staff, when they haven’t played a game. Dave Ragone was drafted in the 3rd round as a QB under Gary Kubiak. He knows the system, of course he doesn’t have a name yet, there was a time when Matt Lafluer was just a QB coach in Atlanta.....just sayin.

3 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

I hope it’s burnt.. 

sheer fact that there’s one rookies name vs the term rookie.. 

How dare you wish burnt upon my popcorn. I thought I would come back and see this get shredded but instead death was wished upon thou. My heart............is 💔

And scene 🕴🏽

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Arthur Smith did not pick the names of his QB coach and OC out of a helmet. The three had worked together for the Titans in 2011. That was the season when the CBA talks sparked a lock-out and coaches had no contact with players until August. With no players to coach, the three got to know one another well over many hours of deep football discussion and debate.

Smith respects these coaches and enjoys working with them, even to the point where he is perfectly fine in a heated debate with one or all of them over any given topic. And that works each way. All foresaw some day working together with Smith because of that strong bond and shared passion for the game.

Whatever problems that might have occurred with a rookie QB are irrelevant. What we did do ~ drafting Kyle Pitts ~ was exactly what we should've done. This The Athletic article gives the details. Not at all worried about the quality of our (assistant) OC or QB coach.

https://theathletic.com/2673790/2021/06/29/how-the-2011-lockout-helped-arthur-smith-build-his-falcons-staff/

Imma take a look at this.  I know the hype is real but the track record is no bueno.  Hopefully he didn't hire the guys just cuz they were buddies.

Of everyone the bears offensive side lol!  Why not snipe someone from the bills who developed josh allen.

Edited by BLM

8 hours ago, AxManBigFan said:

How are we going to judge a staff, when they haven’t played a game. Dave Ragone was drafted in the 3rd round as a QB under Gary Kubiak. He knows the system, of course he doesn’t have a name yet, there was a time when Matt Lafluer was just a QB coach in Atlanta.....just sayin.

I don’t know anything about Ragone either but I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt...He didn’t draft the lack of talent they had at QB in Chicago. Cant make chicken salad out of chicken poop. He was also selected by AS and that carries a lot of weight 

4 hours ago, BLM said:

Imma take a look at this.  I know the hype is real but the track record is no bueno.  Hopefully he didn't hire the guys just cuz they were buddies.

Of everyone the bears offensive side lol!  Why not snipe someone from the bills who developed josh allen.

He hired guys he was familiar with who specifically would not be "yes men" and rubber stamp every idea or suggestion he might come up with as HC. He wanted people with their own opinions and the courage to speak up when they don't agree with him.

11 hours ago, BLM said:

Stopped reading at BLM....

I think it's great that all fans of all levels can come on here and voice their opinions.. that's what a message board is for. So here's my opinion of your post...if you think these 3 quarterback's failings are the result of poor coaching you have not been paying attention. These 3 are at best career backups and everyone knows it.. I think poor drafting is more in play here,,

2 hours ago, Jesus said:

I thought the silver lining was the Bears finally selling jerseys that don't say Urlacher or Payton on the back.

That's true.

Hardly ever see a Butkus or Sayers jersey. I don't think Singletary throwbacks even exist.

• Rings locked this topic