Falcons Will Kick Butt In Their Toughest Four-Game Stretch Of The Season ~ Falcons Wire

From out of the torrent of ridicule and disparagement that has characterized the coverage of the Atlanta Falcons since the end of the 2020 season, there have been some small rays of sunshine. The Falcons draft was named top of the league this season by some sources. That was also the case with their UDFA class as well. The latest nugget is this article in which two different Falcons Wire writers predict the DirtyBirds are going to win three out of four games in their toughest four-game stretch of the season.

The four-game stretch was chosen by Cynthia Frelund of NFL.com and starts with the Falcons week 12 game on the road vs Jacksonville. That's followed by a match-up vs the Bucs at MBS in week 13, the Panthers at Carolina in week 14, and concluding with a tough challenge on the road at San Francisco in week 15. Oddly enough, there were no predictions of which three games the Falcons would win, but Matt Urben and Deen Worley believed the Falcons would come out of that stretch 3-1. The Falcons play New England and Detroit before and after that four-game stretch, with Atlanta being favored vs Detroit and with good chances to beat New England.

What do you think of the Falcons' chances of taking three out of those four? Definitely doable, but they'll have to beat the 49ers or Bucs to pull it off. I'm going to agree with them. The Falcons win the games they should win vs Jax and Carolina and upset either the Bucs at home or surprise San Fran on the road.

Very, very short article and from a very iron-clad, trusted source in Falcons Wire and positively upbeat compared to most assessments of our chances this season. Now before you click that link to the article, please rate this post FIVE stars and kick that LIKE Button for a 58-yard Koo-style FG.

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/30/atlanta-falcons-nfl-schedule-nfc-south/?utm_source=falconswire&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=pos2headline&env=d285247f76cb0c68eec4ee0c83dd0c50fa5f2a20476b6c9e14d9ce1617a18605

I'm more confident in their ability to beat the Bucs or the 9ers than I am in their ability to handle both the Jags and Panthers appropriately. That's assuming all the built in assumptions about who is bad and who is good hold up. Failing to hold serve...I've done seen it too many times. My soul is weary!

That said, I'm not sure either the Jags nor the Panthers will suck this year just because they did last year. I can list some pretty tangible differences for both clubs. Both have chances at least as good as the Falcons to be a "surprise" team next season. 

13 minutes ago, falcndave said:

I'm more confident in their ability to beat the Bucs or the 9ers than I am in their ability to handle both the Jags and Panthers appropriately. That's assuming all the built in assumptions about who is bad and who is good hold up. Failing to hold serve...I've done seen it too many times. My soul is weary!

That said, I'm not sure either the Jags nor the Panthers will suck this year just because they did last year. I can list some pretty tangible differences for both clubs. Both have chances at least as good as the Falcons to be a "surprise" team next season. 

True, there's a very thin line between the good teams and the bottom-feeders in the NFL and seeing a team go from bad to great is hardly a rare occurrence.

My belief is AS and DP will be a bigger addition to the Falcons than what the Panthers and Jax did adding Darnold and Trevor Lawrence. Time will tell.

Posted (edited)

I just don't understand the concept of a "should win" games when you are coming off a 4-12 season and 18-30 is the past 3. The funny thing is that 18-30 stretch was light years worse that the actual 18-30 because we were eliminated by mid season in each. Let that sink in.

Maybe it is me getting old and cynical, but that "should win" concept when it comes to the Falcons gets me cranky and reliving memories of walking to school uphill, both ways.😁

Edited by PointSwayzee

53 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I think that the Falcons could finish at 13-4 for the whole season.

Gonads call that one.

Onething will have to happen we will have to be on thee other side of all those one possession losses.

For me gimme a win in the division and we are golden.The division win is the key to the playoffs.

15 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Gonads call that one.

Onething will have to happen we will have to be on thee other side of all those one possession losses.

For me gimme a win in the division and we are golden.The division win is the key to the playoffs.

We have a lot winnable games on our schedule if we don't Falcon things up. We SHOULD be 4-1 at the bye week.

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I think that the Falcons could finish at 13-4 for the whole season.

>10 wins in the regular season would be a GREAT start for the new regime. That'll be good enough for the playoffs and reaching the postseason in year 1 would be significant. 

1 hour ago, PointSwayzee said:

I just don't understand the concept of a "should win" games when you are coming off a 4-12 season and 18-30 is the past 3. The funny thing is that 18-30 stretch was light years worse that the actual 18-30 because we were eliminated by mid season in each. Let that sink in.

Maybe it is me getting old and cynical, but that "should win" concept when it comes to the Falcons gets me cranky and reliving memories of walking to school uphill, both ways.😁

These early predictions are nuthinn' but boring summer fun.

I think the Buc's more more challenging than the Panthers.

We have a lot winnable games on our schedule if we don't Falcon things up. We SHOULD be 4-1 at the bye week.

Yeah I’m not entirely sure about that.

While they may seem winnable it’s on how quickly we get upto speed on both sides of the ball.

**** of a lot of ?s around this team to think they come out of the gate 4-1.I just want to see us competitive again.

10 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Yeah I’m not entirely sure about that.

While they may seem winnable it’s on how quickly we get upto speed on both sides of the ball.

**** a lot of ?s around this team to think they come out of the gate 4-1.  I just want to see us competitive again.

Competitive is just an empty adjective if it isn't accompanied by wins. It seems far-fetched to think a 4-12 team can get out to a 4-1 start, but there have been radical improvements in crucial areas of the coaching staff and the roster.

A 4-1 start is maybe a bit optimistic, but it's not completely out of the question given the parity of the NFL. Worst to first has been done many times before, including by us.

58 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Competitive is just an empty adjective if it isn't accompanied by wins. It seems far-fetched to think a 4-12 team can get out to a 4-1 start, but there have been radical improvements in crucial areas of the coaching staff and the roster.

A 4-1 start is maybe a bit optimistic, but it's not completely out of the question given the parity of the NFL. Worst to first has been done many times before, including by us.

Poker it’s just where I think the team is right now.My expectations are very similar to 08 I hope for better but my expectations aren’t 4-1 out the gate high.

If we lose too teams by one score with the team being in transition I can live with it.I wouldn’t be disappointed because for me it’s a realistic expectation in my eyes some obviously see it different.

14 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

The funny thing is that 18-30 stretch was light years worse that the actual 18-30 because we were eliminated by mid season in each. Let that sink in

I respectfully disagree. Everyone knows you are a negative Nancy but come on. The stretch was marred by flat out coaching mistakes while having  ridiculous 90+% chances to win, and then only to lose due to incredible circumstances.

In 2020, the 4-win Atlanta Falcons finished the season with a point differential of just -18. Let THAT sink in. After having the tied for 5th toughest schedule last year. With injuries and DQ being DQ and Dirk being Dirk.... -18!!! 

No my friend, this team is going to turn around and its going to be quick and noticeable. 

14 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Agree. And a 4-1 start would be a huge confidence-booster for the team and the fans. It's definitely possible with their first game vs Eagles, then Bucs, Giants, WFT and the Jets. Only the Bucs are big favorites, the rest you could hardly ask for weaker opponents.

2 hours ago, runshoot said:

I respectfully disagree. Everyone knows you are a negative Nancy but come on. The stretch was marred by flat out coaching mistakes while having  ridiculous 90+% chances to win, and then only to lose due to incredible circumstances.

In 2020, the 4-win Atlanta Falcons finished the season with a point differential of just -18. Let THAT sink in. After having the tied for 5th toughest schedule last year. With injuries and DQ being DQ and Dirk being Dirk.... -18!!! 

No my friend, this team is going to turn around and its going to be quick and noticeable. 

I feel like I hear this every single year. Get back to me when it actually happens. 

Remember last year was the best off-season ever! Few years ago Dan Quinn was the greatest Falcons coach ever. So, I'll play the wait and see game, but I assure you this team will be below .500 in 2022. But I'm sure the excuses are already ready to go for next year. 

I have no illusions that this is a quick fix, nor would I care if improvement is made. I appreciate your optimistic view as well, just agree to disagree. 

2 hours ago, runshoot said:

I think a better way to look at it is we lost 7 games with an average differential of -3. That's with Dirk and Quinn/Morris running the show. Put even an average head coach in charge of that 2020 team, and they would've made the playoffs. 

Atlanta better be

19 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Indeed. This will be a fun (Revamped.) team to watch. Gonna score some points...........Can the opponents keep up?

I'm actually terrified of what the opening stretch 4 games of Eagles, Tampa Bay, Giants and  Washington DL will do to our interior line as roster constructed now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2021 at 5:50 PM, OrthoPTSD said:

Atlanta better be

I'm actually terrified of what the opening stretch 4 games of Eagles, Tampa Bay, Giants and  Washington DL will do to our interior line as roster constructed now.

I think that the weakness in the OL has been taken into account and more adjustments will be made for  quick passes. The OL is not in shambles, after all. They have Hennessy and a decent group at LG to try. A full preseason will be revealing.