Kyle Pitts 4-year deal

Falcons sign rookie tight end Kyle Pitts to 4-year deal

The team’s top pick and widely acclaimed tight end is officially under contract.

By Matthew Chambers Jun 29, 2021, 12:44pm EDT

Top rookie signings used to be a closely-watched issue every off-season. Before the rookie wage scale, players at the top of the draft could hold out deep into training camp to push for more cash. Just over a decade ago the first-overall pick Sam Bradford did not sign his rookie deal until days before camp, securing $50 million guaranteed on a $78 million deal.

That is no longer an issue as player salaries are set by the CBA. Some top players will push for fully guaranteed deals or resist certain offset language. It means there is little to discuss and we rarely see holdouts reaching camp.

Similar to other players, Pitts is under contract without much delay or drama. He’s officially under contract on a four-year deal.

As with all rookie contracts, the Falcons will have an option for a fifth year at a salary set by the CBA. For example, the Falcons foolishly took the fifth-year option on Vic Beasley. The team declined the same option for Takk McKinley.

Adam Schefter of ESPN is the first to report the fully-guaranteed deal comes in at $32.9 million. No news on the signing bonus yet. The team may have tried for a larger-than-expected signing bonus for cap purposes. If so, it will give the Falcons a bit more breathing room before they reach cap freedom in 2023.

This is an expensive deal for a tight end. Pitts, being the highest drafted tight end ever, should come in with some lofty expectations. However, due to the big deals signed by other tight ends recently, Pitts comes in at an average annual value just between Jimmy Graham and Zach Ertz, and behind Austin Hooper, Hunter Henry, and Jonnu Smith.

With a full, healthy season, Pitts should have a great chance at showing he is worth his rookie deal.

10 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

You have to love the rookie pay scale.  Makes life so easy.  This is the criteria, sign here.  Let's ball.

yes, I love it - was annoying all those years where you would get excited about your new rook 1st round pick and then watch July come and go with no rookie on practice field.  got so tired of it.

28 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

yes, I love it - was annoying all those years where you would get excited about your new rook 1st round pick and then watch July come and go with no rookie on practice field.  got so tired of it.

then see vets cry that rooks are making bank as soon has they enter the league and they been in the league alot longer and not getting that kind of money..i always found that funny

This is the future face of our franchise. Can't wait to see him on the field! 

Not to mention, reviewing these other threads, I really can't wait for the season to start... People getting really bored around here I see. 

17 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

You have to love the rookie pay scale.  Makes life so easy.  This is the criteria, sign here.  Let's ball.

Yep, teams used to give out way too much money for unproven college players who sometimes failed. The new wage scale is the best way to go. Players can earn their money once they have proven it off their rookie contract.

On 6/29/2021 at 2:50 PM, Smiler11 said:

Should have signed him for longer than 4 years. 😏

You're right. The only thing I can come up with AS and TF held off because Blank never issued the mandatory "He's going to be a Falcon for life!" statement to the press during negotiations.  🤣