Falcons Offensive Coordinator Dave Ragone

On 6/26/2021 at 7:09 PM, Slumerican said:

Other that what you can read off Google, what info does anyone have on Dave?? Curious what his tendencies have been in the past while coaching..? Just interested in what kind of a game we can expect to be called by Dave 

Whatever Arthur Smith wants him to do.

Interesting to consider what most media are saying. Arthur Smith is creative, Arthur Smith likes using two TEs a lot, Arthur Smith designs the offense around his players strengths and what he has available.

It’s virtually all what Arthur Smiths philosophy is. Rarely hear a peep about Ragone’s philosophy.

On 6/26/2021 at 7:37 PM, Slumerican said:

Knowing he played qb at least makes me a little more confident hes offensive minded.. Thats definitely a check 

I thought AS said he would be calling the plays himself.

Just now, Hard Case said:

I thought AS said he would be calling the plays himself.

Arthur Smith will be calling the plays. But Dave Ragone is going to have input on the offensive game plan. He may focus specifically on something like red zone offense or 3rd down offense. He doesn't have to call plays to have input into what the offense does.

6 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Arthur Smith will be calling the plays. But Dave Ragone is going to have input on the offensive game plan. He may focus specifically on something like red zone offense or 3rd down offense. He doesn't have to call plays to have input into what the offense does.

I am certain Ragone, a former quality control coach then QB and passing game coach, is going to be watching tons of film of up and coming defenses, boiling it down for AS to show patterns and tendencies, then the two of them will work on game plans and plays. 

AS, as a head coach, needs a man that knows how to break down film, which takes a LOT of time, to help him prepare offensively for each opponent.

5 hours ago, gazoo said:

I am certain Ragone, a former quality control coach then QB and passing game coach, is going to be watching tons of film of up and coming defenses, boiling it down for AS to show patterns and tendencies, then the two of them will work on game plans and plays. 

AS, as a head coach, needs a man that knows how to break down film, which takes a LOT of time, to help him prepare offensively for each opponent.

This is a team effort.  Sure, Raggone is new to this position, so he will need some leadership, but he will be expected to contribute significantly.  AS can not, nor should he be expected to be the head man and also worry about the details of the offense.  

Raggone will not be "holding a clip board".  He will be heavily involved in the break down and implementation of the offense.  

On 6/26/2021 at 7:09 PM, Slumerican said:

Other that what you can read off Google, what info does anyone have on Dave?? Curious what his tendencies have been in the past while coaching..? Just interested in what kind of a game we can expect to be called by Dave 

He's not gonna be calling plays (unless AS can't for some reason).

On 6/28/2021 at 4:10 PM, HASHBROWN3 said:

Oh wait, nah bro.  Everyone got their way because they were given everything while denying others & they never deserved it by working hard or earning it.  You realize that everyone who has some sort of position of prominence or earned their title was only given it off the backs of those who are forever condemned in this country because the system is rigged.  LOL, unfortunately there’s a chance that there may be people on this very board who actually believe this though. :lol:

thanks for posting,  Very interesting for those of us who are willing to understand how hard work pays off.  Or who don’t buy into the fake narratives and the entitlement thingys.  Last weekend I ran across another unfathomable story of how no young people are willing to work.  We were wondering why a chair we ordered like 6 months ago hasn’t come in for delivery yet. All the stories of long lead times for raw materials and all that. Sure, but the latest delay is that they can’t find anyone to unload the trailer loads of furniture that came in from factories.  I’ve heard for over a year now how difficult it’s become to find young people willing to work.  They’re all choosing to see what else they can collect from their big daddy who owns them…the government!  Apparently the pay is like $22+ dollars/hour to work them trucks and yet young adults prefer to stay at home & collect less money sitting on their ***.Yikes!  

I took a day off a weekend ago so my wife & I could drive to the coast for a quick getaway.  Stopped off at the local Mickey D’s just for a cup of coffee as it was early in the morning & the drive thru was like 12 cars deep. Tried to park & go inside to get it but it was locked. I was told they couldn’t find enough help to work inside so it was drive thru only. WTH?

I would simply like to know if there is anyone on this board willing to admit they’re home collecting my hard earned tax dollars from Uncle Sam?  Please let me know.  I just want to ask you a few questions… thanks. 

Are you going to ask them why on earth would they collect a check for doing nothing when they could go flip burgers for less pay. 

He's worked with a lot of good OC's over his time in the NFL.
FROM KCD TO ATL

BOZICH | Dave Ragone's journey from U of L QB to Falcons' offensive coordinator got first push from his wife, Marju

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- When you make a list of the coaches who have lifted former University of Louisville quarterback Dave Ragone on his path to Atlanta Falcons' offensive coordinator, there are names you know, others you overlooked and one special person who belongs atop the list.

In this town, the Ragone Story began with John L. Smith, the coach who recruited him to the Cardinals, as well as U of L assistants Bobby Petrino and Scott Linehan.

As much as Ragone credited those guys, he made certain I wrote down the name of Chuck Kyle, the legendary Ohio coach who developed him at St. Ignatius High School in Cleveland.

NFL coaches? I can't name all of them, but Chris Palmer, Gary Kubiak, Sean McVay, Doug Nussmeier, Jay Gruden, John Fox and Matt Nagy deserve a hat tip.

So does new Arthur Smith, the new head coach of the Falcons, who recruited Ragone, 41, from the Bears to build Atlanta's new offense around quarterback Matt Ryan, a former MVP.

Everybody is playing for second place. Ragone's wife, Marju, has been the most influential coach in helping him navigate his career.

"She kind of spring-boarded me into the whole thing," Ragone said. "It could not have happened, at all, without my wife.

"For her to sign off on it, with this journey and going through all these moves, the hours I am gone and everything else, it's a complete commitment not only by me, but by her and the kids."

There's more to the story than the essential single-parent work that the wife of any NFL coach must do because of long seasons, time on the road and frequent demands of 60- or 70-hour work weeks. The Ragones have 3 children -- Isabella, Anderson and Cristiano.

You could argue that Dave is the Falcons' offensive coordinator because Marju wanted to coach the girls' high school basketball team at Kentucky Country Day in 2009.

Marju Sober excelled over four seasons at U of L, leading the Cardinals in scoring in 2001 and 2002. When she interviewed for a basketball job at KCD, Marju was also asked by KCD athletic director Tim Green if Dave would be interested in helping with the KCD football team.

He was.

"I wanted to coach football," Ragone said. "I didn't miss throwing touchdown passes or playing, which I know sounds weird. I missed the X and Os, the strategy, during the week … the chess game. That's a big part of it …

"… this fulfilled the missing part of athletics that has been part of my whole life. The closest thing to playing was coaching, right?"

After a 3-year career as an NFL reserve and time playing in NFL Europe, Ragone hosted a local radio talk show with former Kentucky basketball player Scott Padgett. He had business interests. He had options, plenty of options.

Ragone is a single-digit handicap golfer (who played a skins game against former U of L quarterback Chris Redman at Valhalla last week and lost on the final hole). He loved playing pick-up basketball.

None of that was enough. Ragone needed more competition -- and running the offense for a high school football team was competing.

Said Ragone, "I always make this comment: 'Coaching in high school, the UFL, the NFL, Division III, the places I've been, the reality is that once that ball kicks off, they all feel the same.' "

KCD got Dave. It did not get Marju.

She became pregnant with their second child and focused on their family. The Ragones agreed that if Dave planned a coaching career, he needed to attack it the way he attacked opposing defenses at Louisville, where Ragone was named Conference USA offensive player of the year not once, not twice, but three times.

"I love the game of football," he said. "I love what it brings. I love what it teaches you.

"When I'm in front of the group, when I'm installing plays or I'm on the practice field, it means something to me. Positive energy means something to me out there. Being competitive means something to me. Just because it was all personal."

At KCD, Ragone turned a part-time job into a full-time obsession. Talk to Ragone for 45 minutes and he'll drop quotes from an assortment of NFL coaches into the conversation. Nobody had better advice than his wife gave him after one season at KCD.

As Ragone remembers it, this is what Marju said:

" 'You realize how many hours you're putting into this? If you're going to do it, you need to make it a full time job.' She had a great perspective."

Ragone expanded his push by training former local college stars, like Kentucky quarterback Andre Woodson, UK receiver Dickie Lyons and Louisville receiver Chris Vaughn.

That led him to a job (for $70,000) as quarterbacks coach of the Hartford Colonials of the United Football League. He lived in a Connecticut hotel for four months while his family remained in Louisville.

The UFL didn't last, but Ragone's reputation as a quarterback guru did. In 2010, he helped develop Josh McCown into the league's top passer.

Game on. McCown played another decade in the NFL after his time with Ragone in Hartford.

"I felt prepared because it was like a crash course in how to become an NFL coach," Ragone said.

Next, Ragone went directly to the big leagues. Palmer took him to Tennessee to coach the Titans' receivers. Then it was on to the Redskins, to work with McVay and Gruden, for one season.

Ragone began his 5-season run with the Bears in 2016. That was a great spot to learn about talk show and social media criticism.

The 2021 season will be his first shot to coordinate an offense since Kentucky Country Day. Atlanta slumped to 4-12 last season, finishing last in the NFL South. That led to the dismissal of head coach Dan Quinn, who took the Falcons to Super Bowl LI during the 2016 season.

Football is a relationship business. The Falcons replaced Quinn with Smith. Ragone and Smith worked together with the Titans for three seasons. Ragone said they share many philosophies.

"The process will be setting the table for the play caller, who will be the head coach," Ragone said.

"It's making sure that he's got his call sheet the way he wants it, so he's prepared to call the game."

Throughout his career, Ragone has kept notebooks about how to build an offense and attack a defense. He has kept a mental list of motivational tricks, the ones that inspired him to work harder as well as the ones that he promised himself that he would never use.

What will the Falcons attempt while trying to rebound in a division that features the Super Bowl champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Carolina and New Orleans?

"You want to be good at what you want your identity to be, so you can hold your hat on it," he said.

"It's the illusion of sophistication. So it looks like you're doing a lot of things to the defense but the reality is that you're just dressing up your core stuff, over and over and over.

"But the defense doesn't know it because they can't recognize it pre snap. By the time the ball is snapped, they're just reacting. Therefore you've negated their advantage … to me that's always the ultimate goal, the defense doesn't know until the ball is snapped what exactly is going on."

What's going on with Ragone, of course, is reaching a prime destination that he could not envision when he put on his visor and grabbed his first whistle at KCD a dozen years ago.

"Fast track," he said, with a laugh.

Dave Ragone is one of 32 offensive coordinators in the National Football League, competing against the best of the best.

Achieve big things in Atlanta and you never know what could be next?

"I still talk to some of those KCD players, parents and coaches," he said. "I don't think any of us thought, fast-forward 12 years, where anybody is at, let alone what I'm doing.

"Just fortunate is the word I use most often with this position. You never know in this business. There are a lot of turns to navigate with your career. I'm just fortunate to be in this situation, honestly."

Copyright 2021 WDRB Media. All rights reserved.

2 hours ago, falconfreak1 said:

Are you going to ask them why on earth would they collect a check for doing nothing when they could go flip burgers for less pay. 

LOL, say what?  My comments were coming from more of a place of sincerity but...

You must have missed where I said they chose to earn less by choosing to take govt handouts over better paying jobs that were open for the taking.  That's what I have been seeing.

Now I did make reference to a McDonalds whose doors were locked to walk ins due to staffing issues.  So i had to drive thru.  I don't know the amounts of what the handout checks are or what unemployment is right now & I'm thankful for that.  There was a time or two in my life where I had to file for unemployment but it was during a couple low points while I was trying to find other means of employment.  That's what it was originally meant to be back then...temporary help, but not enough to really support you or your family obviously.

God has been faithful to me over the years.  I know the value of a dollar & the satisfaction of working extremely hard for meager but fair wages.  It took me 6 long years to work my way through college & my first jobs out of college were not what I wanted long term but I paid my dues until I was in better shape. 

Please let's not insult each other's intelligence if we're trying to justify sitting at home collecting government stipends for a living vs the self satisfaction of making less money early on flipping burgers (or other things) while putting a resume together proving you're a hard worker willing to pay a price to move up until you can get benefits like insurance & 401K etc so that your family is taken care of. 

I'm not sure if you're if your comment is sincere, naive, or just being snotty but whatever, maybe this helps.

On 6/27/2021 at 11:16 PM, SPITFIRE said:

there is more to being OC than calling plays. 

Of course there is.  But with this being Ragone's first OC job, I think AS is easing him into the position, and probably won't put a whole lot on him this year ---

At least for the first year or two, I would put my money on AS having the heaviest influence/calling plays. The assistants will likely be involved in gameplanning but I wouldn't expect the offense to be heavily influenced by Ragone off the jump.  

On 7/1/2021 at 1:03 PM, HASHBROWN3 said:

LOL, say what?  My comments were coming from more of a place of sincerity but...

You must have missed where I said they chose to earn less by choosing to take govt handouts over better paying jobs that were open for the taking.  That's what I have been seeing.

Now I did make reference to a McDonalds whose doors were locked to walk ins due to staffing issues.  So i had to drive thru.  I don't know the amounts of what the handout checks are or what unemployment is right now & I'm thankful for that.  There was a time or two in my life where I had to file for unemployment but it was during a couple low points while I was trying to find other means of employment.  That's what it was originally meant to be back then...temporary help, but not enough to really support you or your family obviously.

God has been faithful to me over the years.  I know the value of a dollar & the satisfaction of working extremely hard for meager but fair wages.  It took me 6 long years to work my way through college & my first jobs out of college were not what I wanted long term but I paid my dues until I was in better shape. 

Please let's not insult each other's intelligence if we're trying to justify sitting at home collecting government stipends for a living vs the self satisfaction of making less money early on flipping burgers (or other things) while putting a resume together proving you're a hard worker willing to pay a price to move up until you can get benefits like insurance & 401K etc so that your family is taken care of. 

I'm not sure if you're if your comment is sincere, naive, or just being snotty but whatever, maybe this helps.

I grew up poor, single parent and had to help raise my younger brother with an absentee alcoholic father.

I didn’t graduate high school, 

I worked my $&& off since age 12 to get the things I wanted. Never made excuses others had way more. I got my GED, working full time I started classes at GA State University, paid my own way through college, graduated with a BBA. I could never “choose” not to work to take a government handout. Hard work is part of my DNA.

”ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country”.

And I give back in many ways, including volunteering in jails and prisons.   

GIVING is the key to a joyous heart and happiness. Being a taker only leads to futility and unhappiness. 

2 hours ago, gazoo said:

I grew up poor, single parent and had to help raise my younger brother with an absentee alcoholic father.

I worked my $&& off since age 12 to get the things I wanted. Never made excuses others had way more. I got my GED, working full time I started classes at GA State University, paid my own way through college, graduated with a BBA. I could never “choose” not to work to take a government handout. Hard work is part of my DNA.

”ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country”.

GIVING is the key to a joyous heart and happiness. Being a taker only leads to futility and unhappiness. 

Amen Gazoo.  Well said buddy.  I worked my way thru college & raised my two knee high daughters as a single parent. Unfortunately their mother died at a young age from a horrible addiction to alcohol & drugs.  Long road, but God blessed me through the storms.  😌

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Amen Gazoo.  Well said buddy.  I worked my way thru college & raised my two knee high daughters as a single parent. Unfortunately their mother died at a young age from a horrible addiction to alcohol & drugs.  Long road, but God blessed me through the storms.  😌

❤️ God bless ya bro.. Going through something very similar. 

Edited by ⚡Slumerican⚡

15 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

❤️ God bless ya bro.. Going through something very similar now with my ex wife.. She's struggling with addiction and to keep her off the streets I allowed her to move back in.. But unfortunately I'm having to watch her slowly kill herself and I feel so helpless to do anything about it.. Pray you definitely can find peace, I know all about the storm of emotions that have to be faught every day.. God bless ya

PM me your number and I’ll reach out to you. If she wants help, she can be helped. 

On 7/3/2021 at 2:27 PM, gazoo said:

Wow.  This sounds so much like my story.  I grew up very poor.  I started working when I was about 12.  I got paid $5 for running a convenience store and gas station for 2 weeks. (not joking).   I found a better paying job unloading train cars for a liquor company.  The heat in the car would pop a few beer cans.  Beer than has been cooking at close to 200 degrees has a smell you can never forget.  From there, I graduated to bending, welding, and painting wrought iron.  We made and delivered wrought iron outdoor furniture.  I got a nice pay raise when the government hired me to get shot at in Vietnam.

My wife gets on to me occasionally about some of my ragged clothes.  To this day, I can look at a piece of clothing with stains, tears, holes, and decide it is time to become a rag.  Just as I get close to the rag box, I take another look, and decide it still has a use as functional clothing.  She is going to do something about that one of these days.  I can feel it coming.  LoL.

My father was an alcoholic and psychopath.  He did some horrible things to people including every member of his family. 

But, I am responsible for me.  My failures are my failures.  I get knocked down like everyone else.  But, I do not have time to blame the system or play the victim.  It is my responsibility to get back up and take care of my responsibilities. 

On 7/3/2021 at 9:34 PM, Slumerican said:

❤️ God bless ya bro.. Going through something very similar. 

On 7/3/2021 at 9:51 PM, gazoo said:

PM me your number and I’ll reach out to you. If she wants help, she can be helped. 

On 7/3/2021 at 9:56 PM, Slumerican said:

Definitely will bro, ty very much.. Idk if she wants help, but I'm willing to do anything I can to save her ❤️

Thanks Slummy!  Been traveling on vacation with my wife.  PM me as well & I’ll give you my cell number.  You’re welcome to call me any time as these things can be complex.  

Posted (edited)
On 6/26/2021 at 9:23 PM, Slumerican said:

Yeah, thats what this season is looking like.. Idk going forward.. Seems like he just has a title for a pay check.. Anyone know what a OC does that cant call plays?? Maybe Smith is grooming him to take over next season, interested to see what his role for the team will be 

Same thing the OC does in Green Bay and Kansas City - helps the HC with game day strategies, personnel groupings, etc. At the end of the day though, Smith will be calling the plays

Edited by dirtybirds233