Falcons Offensive Coordinator Dave Ragone

16 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

Other that what you can read off Google, what info does anyone have on Dave?? Curious what his tendencies have been in the past while coaching..? Just interested in what kind of a game we can expect to be called by Dave 

Only thing I know about him is that he played QB at Louisville under that scumbag Bobby Petrino.

12 minutes ago, Jesus said:

What do you need Coach Smith? A Gatorade? Maybe your shoulders look a little tense. Everything okay coach? I'm just happy to be here.

Yeah, thats what this season is looking like.. Idk going forward.. Seems like he just has a title for a pay check.. Anyone know what a OC does that cant call plays?? Maybe Smith is grooming him to take over next season, interested to see what his role for the team will be 

14 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

Yeah, thats what this season is looking like.. Idk going forward.. Seems like he just has a title for a pay check.. Anyone know what a OC does that cant call plays?? Maybe Smith is grooming him to take over next season, interested to see what his role for the team will be 

I still think he gets an HC job in 3 years.

21 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

Help with game planning. And no way would Smith give up play calling anytime soon. He said as much at his introductory press conference 

Since the guy calling the plays is the HC, the designated OC spends the week doing the detail dirty work the OC does, at the direction of the play caller (HC), but doesn't get the credit for the quality of the offense on Sunday. Doesn't sound like a great gig (other than the paycheck) to me.  I could see an older, experienced coach fulfilling this role, but a younger guy?

Edited by brewman

2 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Help with game planning. And no way would Smith give up play calling anytime soon. He said as much at his introductory press conference 

Probably a expensive intern i guess.. Smith must think highly of him to put him on the payroll in his current situation.. Im sure Smith has a future plan, but he's been very tight lipped on anything to do with the team so doubt we'll know anytime soon

1 minute ago, Slumerican said:

Probably a expensive intern i guess.. Smith must think highly of him to put him on the payroll in his current situation.. Im sure Smith has a future plan, but he's been very tight lipped on anything to do with the team so doubt we'll know anytime soon

Smith isn’t the first HC to call plays. Sean Payton has been doing it for years. McVay, LeFeur, Reich, Nagy also calls plays off the top of my head. Seems like more offensive minded coaches are calling their own plays

4 hours ago, Slumerican said:

Other that what you can read off Google, what info does anyone have on Dave?? Curious what his tendencies have been in the past while coaching..? Just interested in what kind of a game we can expect to be called by Dave 

He's basically going to be the Offensive clipboard holder and scapegoat. 

I see that their is a little misunderstanding around here about just what OCs provide for a football team. For those that call plays on Sunday, doing so is not that big a slice of their coaching pie. 

4 hours ago, brewman said:

Since the guy calling the plays is the HC, the designated OC spends the week doing the detail dirty work the OC does, at the direction of the play caller (HC), but doesn't get the credit for the quality of the offense on Sunday. Doesn't sound like a great gig (other than the paycheck) to me.  I could see an older, experienced coach fulfilling this role, but a younger guy?

Only a younger guy should fill that roll because they get to learn from the HC and get experience as an OC without needing the pedigree to call their own plays already. An older guy should be calling his own offense. It's sort of like an offensive assistant role but you get a better title and get to learn more tools of the trade.

5 hours ago, Slumerican said:

Coordinate the offense. Same thing Lafleur did in LA. Coordinate the offense while McVay calls the plays game day. The OC can still coordinate the game plan. 

39 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Coordinate the offense. Same thing Lafleur did in LA. Coordinate the offense while McVay calls the plays game day. The OC can still coordinate the game plan. 

Right. The HC doesn't have enough time in the day and week to coordinator the game plan for the opponent plus the individual game plans on offense and defense. That is why when Dan Quinn tried to do both as HC and DC he failed so miserably at it. He might surprise people in Dallas now that he's back focused only on the defense and not the whole HC deal.

1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Right. The HC doesn't have enough time in the day and week to coordinator the game plan for the opponent plus the individual game plans on offense and defense. That is why when Dan Quinn tried to do both as HC and DC he failed so miserably at it. He might surprise people in Dallas now that he's back focused only on the defense and not the whole HC deal.

He will surprise cowboy fans just like he surprised Falcon fans. 

8 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

Smith isn’t the first HC to call plays. Sean Payton has been doing it for years. McVay, LeFeur, Reich, Nagy also calls plays off the top of my head. Seems like more offensive minded coaches are calling their own plays

I know Vic Fangio (among others I'm sure) calls the defense. I remember when he was asked if he would call the defense he basically said yeah, that's what got me the job so why wouldn't I give them that? Can't argue with that.