Falcons HC Arthur Smith on why he drafted Kyle Pitts

Good interview.  I'm looking forward to seeing all he can do as HC.  

And I am a believer that Ryan has needed legit TE in the scheme for some time.  And Smith obviously saw that.  Nothing against Hurst, I think Hurst is going to also have a good last year as a Falcon.  But he spent most of last year waiting for his number to be called.  Easy to look back and see where maximizing a TE would have helped Matt and the O close out some games.  Pitts is going to ball.  Just so the hype train doesn't derail, he is really young and it is OK if it takes a few games for him to grow into the role.  2021 will be better, 2022 will be great. 

Anyone who knows Chris Collinsworth understands that he’s never really been a supporter of our club.  Plenty of CC game coverage examples of his sheer unwillingness to be objective while calling our games.  To the point that it’s not unfair to admit that he didn’t seem to care much about making a case for the Falcons on the air.  
To his credit in this interview, he definitely sharpened his harpoon & got right after the two most vulnerable Atlanta Falcon transactions.  Almost as though his view was the opposite & he was going to hit AS respectfully between the eyes with it & challenge him with it.  CC, imho,  is a pompous, politically correct & arrogant media prop whose rarely ever challenged by his colleagues.  As a Falcons fan, I have reached a point at times while he’s covering our games, where I literally have had to turn the volume off in order to keep my blood pressure down.  :bang:

I say all that only to say this… The more I watch AS, the more I realize just how incredibly articulate & careful he is.  We’ve desperately needed a man of his stature here for some time.  It was masterful how he diffused those loaded questions from CC.  They were dripping with contempt IMO. And yet AS outmaneuvered Collinsworth like a champ.

Collinsworth would like nothing more than to eat our lunch in hindsight, hoping our strategy fails.  But AS crafted his remarks so well that it sort of diffused the pointed nature of why we didn’t go & do what the media *** clowns needed us to do.

Great job AS.  That was impressive sir.  Go screw yourself Chris.  You were respectful but we know who you really are bro. :lol:

48 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Anyone who knows Chris Collinsworth understands that he’s never really been a supporter of our club.  Plenty of CC game coverage examples of his sheer unwillingness to be objective while calling our games.  To the point that it’s not unfair to admit that he didn’t seem to care much about making a case for the Falcons on the air.  
To his credit in this interview, he definitely sharpened his harpoon & got right after the two most vulnerable Atlanta Falcon transactions.  Almost as though his view was the opposite & he was going to hit AS respectfully between the eyes with it & challenge him with it.  CC, imho,  is a pompous, politically correct & arrogant media prop whose rarely ever challenged by his colleagues.  As a Falcons fan, I have reached a point at times while he’s covering our games, where I literally have had to turn the volume off in order to keep my blood pressure down.  :bang:

I say all that only to say this… The more I watch AS, the more I realize just how incredibly articulate & careful he is.  We’ve desperately needed a man of his stature here for some time.  It was masterful how he diffused those loaded questions from CC.  They were dripping with contempt IMO. And yet AS outmaneuvered Collinsworth like a champ.

Collinsworth would like nothing more than to eat our lunch in hindsight, hoping our strategy fails.  But AS crafted his remarks so well that it sort of diffused the pointed nature of why we didn’t go & do what the media *** clowns needed us to do.

Great job AS.  That was impressive sir.  Go screw yourself Chris.  You were respectful but we know who you really are bro. :lol:

Yeah, I think we're dealing with a couple of the smartest guys in AS and TF that we've ever had in the red and black. I wouldn't underestimate either of them, and I think they'll get even better with the challenges they're facing now and as the "rookie" mistakes work their way out from under them. This is a bright looking future IMHO.

4 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I don't disagree that in the past CC hasn't seemed very objective when it comes to our team, but I thought he was fine in this interview. Maybe that is because he respects AS? I didn't think he seemed like the smug, arrogant, *** that he is sometimes. I wouldn't be surprised if he likes AS, and his coverage in the future will be different.

1 minute ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I don't disagree that in the past CC hasn't seemed very objective when it comes to our team, but I thought he was fine in this interview. Maybe that is because he respects AS? I didn't think he seemed like the smug, arrogant, *** that he is sometimes. I wouldn't be surprised if he likes AS, and his coverage in the future will be different.

Yeah. That is exactly why I gave him credit for being respectful in my comments.  He was dealing one on one with our HC so he would be insane not to show an element of deference. 

But it’s difficult to see him in front of AS while understanding his normally smug attitude with our team.  Maybe it’s this sort of face to face that will be enough to break that ugly barrier he has for our club.  Until then, I’m gonna hold back any premature acceptance of CC I think.  At least he had AS on as a guest so that’s good by me.

5 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Agreed. I remember generally liking CC until the thrashing by GB in the playoffs that resulted in us drafting Julio to become more “explosive.” He was slobbering all over Rogers that game. Was very annoying. After that his voice has been cringy and he seemed to hate on Atlanta during every game he announced with us in it.

It honestly wasn’t until the SB in 2016 that he seemed to come around a little. I honestly don’t mind him as much now. Still won’t forget the clear bias in our home loss to Green Bay though. We didn’t do anything to prove him wrong that game either; just made his voice even more annoying. I think that was the first game I muted.

I haven’t watched the OP but will withhold current judgement until after doing so. Just my 2 cents.

6 hours ago, Killing Floor said:

Good interview.  I'm looking forward to seeing all he can do as HC.  

And I am a believer that Ryan has needed legit TE in the scheme for some time.  And Smith obviously saw that.  Nothing against Hurst, I think Hurst is going to also have a good last year as a Falcon.  But he spent most of last year waiting for his number to be called.  Easy to look back and see where maximizing a TE would have helped Matt and the O close out some games.  Pitts is going to ball.  Just so the hype train doesn't derail, he is really young and it is OK if it takes a few games for him to grow into the role.  2021 will be better, 2022 will be great. 

A good Te is a much better weapon for Ryan than a Julio.. Ryan never had the arm to take advantage of Julio's talent.. But Ryan does have good mid range accuracy so Pitts probably is a excellent match for Ryan.. I would have loved to see a qb like Stafford and Julio hook up together in thier prime, but was definitely smart for AS to bring in a short to mid range receiver for Ryan to target.. Gives me alot of confidence in Smith already, guy seems smart and confident in his decisions 

2 hours ago, Slumerican said:

A good Te is a much better weapon for Ryan than a Julio.. Ryan never had the arm to take advantage of Julio's talent.. But Ryan does have good mid range accuracy so Pitts probably is a excellent match for Ryan.. I would have loved to see a qb like Stafford and Julio hook up together in thier prime, but was definitely smart for AS to bring in a short to mid range receiver for Ryan to target.. Gives me alot of confidence in Smith already, guy seems smart and confident in his decisions 

Exactly right.  Julio when he's healthy is a weapon for anyone, but Ryan is great at fast release short/mid.  Having solid close options (TEs, RBs) makes Ryan/Falcons instantly more successful.  We are coming up.  Can't wait.

18 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Always enjoy listening to Arthur Smith. Very articulate, has a sharp mind and is unflappable. I just about can't stand to wait three more months to see how we look with him in charge of the offense and Pees with the D.

What your basically saying is he has a WFW feel to him...thanks brother

Really good interview and thanks for sharing that. 

Arthur mentioning the Andy Reid tree and the Mahomes trade up as well as the Falcons drafting Matt with Todd McClure, TG and Roddy White in place makes me think that he wants to build the foundation before drafting a QB and doesn't believe a formidable foundation is in place currently. "We believe in our strategy"

Just by the comments I'm hearing.. sounds like the Falcons have a plan built around making the OL strong. In 2015, according to FO analytics, the Chiefs had the 5th ranked OL per OL DVOA. Two years later, in 2017, they moved up for Mahomes. Needless to say that they had strong offensive weapons in place already.

In 2020, the Falcons were ranked 26th as far as OL DVOA. It adds up. The foundation was built more towards a quarterback getting eaten alive.

BUT.. in 2007, before they drafted MR2, they had the worst OL DVOA in the league, so idk. 17th ranked two years prior to his selection in 2008.

Who's on the OL hot seat?

LT: Matthews... as safe as it gets

LG: wide open

C; wide open

RG: Lindstrom... as safe as it gets

RT: McGary... room temp

Just my 2c. Feel free to butcher my takes 🙂

I do believe all the cards were on the table but went with BPA who was Kyle Pitts very smart move in your first draft.

I think they met with Matt and after what Smith did with Tannehill he probably thought he was ahead of the game since Ryan is a much better QB with 2-3 years left.

Also if tempted to take a QB and he's a bust not a good look in your first draft with a top 5 pick.

59 minutes ago, Jesus said:

A couple years ago when the Falcons played the HOF game Collinsworth was so complimentary of the team and Ryan it was kind of sickening. He's actually pretty knowledgeable of the game but can be really annoying.

To me J, he’s the most knowledgeable announcer out that. By far. Fans hate him, but that’s because he’s so smug about it.

10 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

My father in law went to high school with Collinsworth.  Said he was smug even back then.

I'm sure he was my man. I mean, what star male athlete in high school isn't? I was a cocky young smug ******* myself! 

Figured I'd post this here since it's a Kyle Pitts thread instead of starting a new one, but ESPN Insider has a piece talking about how each rookie looked during minicamp and it said that Arthur Smith make Kyle Pitts run a lap for making a mistake. Sounds like my type of coach, some showing drilling accountability and discipline into the players.

Pitts is going to be a player -- early -- in the Atlanta offense. He worked with quarterback Matt Ryan throughout minicamp and OTAs and looked the part of a difference-maker. He also had more of a chance to develop a rapport with Ryan because receivers Calvin Ridley and Russell Gage and running back Mike Davis were largely absent from offseason workouts, so that meant more opportunities for Pitts to catch passes. He made some rookie mistakes -- first-year coach Arthur Smith had him run a lap for an error during one minicamp practice -- but so far, Pitts is exactly what the Falcons expected: a playmaker. -- Michael Rothstein

10 hours ago, Vandy said:

To me J, he’s the most knowledgeable announcer out that. By far. Fans hate him, but that’s because he’s so smug about it.

I'd put Tony Romo right up there with him. Romo is my favorite to listen to cause he calls things before they happen. He's so smart. He knows exactly what is happening and explains it so well. Unlike another certain QB *cough*Troy Aikman* cough* who seems so confused most of the time.

Kind of getting sick of the qb question.

It's well known that we had Lawrence and Pitts on our board in that order.

Why do, supposedly intelligent people keep asking if we would've taken a qb?

Pitts was above every qb but Lawrence, **** is dumb now.

Loved how AS was very informed about what and who we had in place when MR was drafted. He does his homework.

Oh and CC will always have a face I'd like to punch.

On 6/25/2021 at 4:43 PM, Vandy said:

him and tony romo are the most knowledgeable but i can literally listen to tony all day nothing but football knowledge and hes objective af about it too which is refreshing..dude is worth every bit of money he is making