Arthur Smith: Julio trade was win-win

It was not a win win.  LoL

They did Julio and his old team a huge favor.  Or it was a plan to hamstring the titans by stressing their cap with a player that spends time on the bench and is not all that productive.  Stats that don't translate into wins are usless except for fantasy football. 

Should have sent him off to the Jets. Or Houston or the Lions.  Then it would have been a win win.

Now the trade was just another case of kissing the divas a$$.

😠

On 6/23/2021 at 10:45 AM, RetroRoq said:

I put this in TATF because while it does mention the Julio trade, the article was released weeks later and focused on the Falcons head coach reactions to the trade and reasoning behind it and how it affects the current Falcons situation.

If the mods deem this as better suited for another board, so be it.  I just figured this was the logical starting point for those who want to discuss the Falcons.

Enjoy!

Hey, post like you own it! Don't let those guys push you around! 😎😄

• 2 weeks later...

Julio is ~3k away from the #3 spot (between Fitz and TO) in the all-time yardage list. Really hope he gets it (/ think he deserves it), but we'll see if he can stay healthy + if there are enough touches to go around with Henry and AJB. 

1 hour ago, Borat said:

Julio is ~3k away from the #3 spot (between Fitz and TO) in the all-time yardage list. Really hope he gets it (/ think he deserves it), but we'll see if he can stay healthy + if there are enough touches to go around with Henry and AJB. 

But someone just claimed he was completely useless here because Ryan has a noodle arm and can't throw farther than 30 yards down field. 🤷‍♂️

On 6/26/2021 at 8:02 PM, Realsurfin said:

They did Julio and his old team a huge favor.  Or it was a plan to hamstring the titans by stressing their cap with a player that spends time on the bench and is not all that productive.  Stats that don't translate into wins are usless except for fantasy football. 

Should have sent him off to the Jets. Or Houston or the Lions.  Then it would have been a win win.

😠

Unlike most of the sports media, I actually feel bad for the Titans. 

Them and KC are my secret fandom teams... and I feel bad for what JJ is gonna do to their cap vs. his production.

Titans gave us a (seemingly) baller HC, and we gave them a hobbled cap destroyer. 

I say we just let Julio go & stop dredging this crap up again for no reason. 
He doesn’t play for our team anymore for crying out freaking loud.  Why is anyone remotely concerned over how many yards he’s gonna get in the future with the TN Titans anyways?????? LOL, uh please stop  sucking your thumbs & let the dude go man.  The Titan’s board might help out some of the thumb suckers who sit around in their spare time & wonder about how many fkg yards the guy is going to get.  How does that even enter your mind anyways? :doh:  Maybe I’m just being insensitive but I don’t get it.

37 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I say we just let Julio go & stop dredging this crap up again for no reason. 
He doesn’t play for our team anymore for crying out freaking loud.  Why is anyone remotely concerned over how many yards he’s gonna get in the future with the TN Titans anyways?????? LOL, uh please stop  sucking your thumbs & let the dude go man.  The Titan’s board might help out some of the thumb suckers who sit around in their spare time & wonder about how many fkg yards the guy is going to get.  How does that even enter your mind anyways? :doh:  Maybe I’m just being insensitive but I don’t get it.

You're talking about the same people that can't get over Kyle Shanahan and we're 5 years removed from him being here.

I think Titans added a great player and we lost one.  That said, they lost their play caller and we gained a great one. If the transition from 2016-2017 taught me nothing else, coaching/scheme matters more than anyone normally wants to admit.  Titans offensive roster got better, but I think ATL will have a better offense than TEN simply because of Arthur Smith.  They will likely regress this year and ATL will improve.  

Why I think our offense improves this year even with losing Julio:

Julio > Pitts
Dirk < Smith
Julio + Dirk < Pitts + Smith

To me the biggest variable here isn’t going to be the loss of Julio, it will be the loss of Alex Mack.  We saw what happened when mud duck retired and for three years we had a turn table at center and half the time was skipping the ball across the turf every other snap.  Mack’s ability to take on blocking assignments and diagnose the blitz was big in 2016.  I will be curious to see how that plays out this year.

5 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

The Falcons did something gutsy if you ask me.  We often accuse them of notaking the tough choices, or that they hold onto scared cows.  This was a move that was cold, cut throat and the beat one for the team.  JJ did alright for himself.  A fresh start on a contender.  Both sides win to different degrees.

This message board is so funny. For years and years and years "Falcons will never win squat cause we got too many scared cows "Falcons for life"" So they make the tough choice, trade away Julio and now the season is over before it even begins cause we don't have Julio anymore or it doesn't count cause Ryan is still here.

On 7/11/2021 at 8:09 AM, Herr Doktor said:

The Falcons did something gutsy if you ask me.  We often accuse them of notaking the tough choices, or that they hold onto scared cows.  This was a move that was cold, cut throat and the beat one for the team.  JJ did alright for himself.  A fresh start on a contender.  Both sides win to different degrees.

And I hope they go 0-16 for no other reason than to get #33 pick 

On 7/11/2021 at 1:49 PM, Rings said:

I think Titans added a great player and we lost one.  That said, they lost their play caller and we gained a great one. If the transition from 2016-2017 taught me nothing else, coaching/scheme matters more than anyone normally wants to admit.  Titans offensive roster got better, but I think ATL will have a better offense than TEN simply because of Arthur Smith.  They will likely regress this year and ATL will improve.  

Why I think our offense improves this year even with losing Julio:

Julio > Pitts
Dirk < Smith
Julio + Dirk < Pitts + Smith

To me the biggest variable here isn’t going to be the loss of Julio, it will be the loss of Alex Mack.  We saw what happened when mud duck retired and for three years we had a turn table at center and half the time was skipping the ball across the turf every other snap.  Mack’s ability to take on blocking assignments and diagnose the blitz was big in 2016.  I will be curious to see how that plays out this year.

This and LG are still issues we don’t know if there fixed until they actually play.

On 7/12/2021 at 5:11 AM, AUTiger7222 said:

This message board is so funny. For years and years and years "Falcons will never win squat cause we got too many scared cows "Falcons for life"" So they make the tough choice, trade away Julio and now the season is over before it even begins cause we don't have Julio anymore or it doesn't count cause Ryan is still here.

It’s also funny because the MB hates paying good players there due.

I think some actually see paying Ryan Julio Jarrett and Debo is actually an issue.

They think good players should stay on rookie deals there whole careers so we can have an all star in every position every year.

Just now, kiwifalcon said:

It’s also funny because the MB hates paying good players there due.

I think some actually see paying Ryan Julio Jarrett and Debo is actually an issue.

They think good players should stay on rookie deals there whole careers so we can have an all star in every position every year.

Oh man, it’s hilarious when they saying paying Julio and Ryan is why we’re in cap heIl. Nope, not true. Cap heIl is the result of years of bad drafts followed up by terrible free agency moves like Brown and Carpenter.

28 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Oh man, it’s hilarious when they saying paying Julio and Ryan is why we’re in cap heIl. Nope, not true. Cap heIl is the result of years of bad drafts followed up by terrible free agency moves like Brown and Carpenter.

Throw in Covid then it’s all out the door.

FA moves in the last 2-3 years especially hurt.

10 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

It's a little of both. Redoing JJ's contract when it wasn't even due for a redo, absolutely contributed to the cap ****.

3 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

It's a little of both. Redoing JJ's contract when it wasn't even due for a redo, absolutely contributed to the cap ****.

Fair point and another reason I'm stunned that people have said the Falcons have treated Julio wrong. That's such a BS opinion. Falcons treated Julio like royalty.

On 6/26/2021 at 8:02 PM, Realsurfin said:

😠

I feel like AS means shipping him to Tennessee was a win because SF and other NFC teams offered up for Julio. They cut bait, Julio is happy, and it doesn't affect the Falcons shot at a playoff run like had he been traded to SF or SEA 

On 7/12/2021 at 11:57 PM, kiwifalcon said:

This and LG are still issues we don’t know if there fixed until they actually play.

Agreed.  LG has been an issue for a while, and I think Matthews and Mack hid some of it.  Those two spots may really get exposed this year.  You can have an average spot, or even slightly below, and mask it if you have strengths on either side.  Two weaknesses side by side normally doesn’t play out well.  So I’m hoping at least one of the two surprise us.

17 minutes ago, Rings said:

Agreed.  LG has been an issue for a while, and I think Matthews and Mack hid some of it.  Those two spots may really get exposed this year.  You can have an average spot, or even slightly below, and mask it if you have strengths on either side.  Two weaknesses side by side normally doesn’t play out well.  So I’m hoping at least one of the two surprise us.

You hit it on the head C is key if you’ve got the intelligence & experience there you can definitely cover up weakness.We saw what thee addition of Mack did for us he was pretty much lights out.