Jump to content

Arthur Smith: Julio trade was win-win


Recommended Posts

https://www.nfl.com/news/falcons-coach-arthur-smith-julio-jones-trade-a-win-win

 

Arthur Smith watched his new Atlanta Falcons team trade generational wide receiver Julio Jones to his old club in Tennessee. After weeks of speculation, the coach wasn't sideswiped by the trade.

During an interview on Cris Collinsworth's podcast, Smith defended the trade, noting that getting Jones' $15.3 million contract for this season off the books helped alleviate salary cap headaches for the Falcons.

"We knew the issue with the cap, and then obviously the cap went down this year, coming off the bizarre year with the pandemic, the cap actually shrunk. So we knew there were going to be some big decisions we would have to make coming up. The way everything worked out, we feel pretty good," Smith said, via Pro Football Talk. "We feel like it was a win-win. With the salary cap, and Julio going to Tennessee and us right now being able to solve our short-term issue with the cap."

In exchange for the salary dump, the Falcons received a 2022 second-round pick and a late-round pick swap in 2023.

Trading Jones away doesn't make the Falcons better in 2021 but does clear some cap issues down the road. Smith's comments suggest he knew when taking over in Atlanta the rebuild might not be a one-year turnaround. If Atlanta saw itself as a Super Bowl contender this season, it wouldn't have traded away a field-tilting talent like Jones despite the contract issues.

Smith entered the building with open eyes regarding the plans new GM Terry Fontenot had for the organization. Trading Jones was a tough move for the club, but Smith makes it clear that goal No. 1 for the new brass was getting the cap in order this season to better attack future years. Jettisoning Jones' salary was a crucial part of that plan.

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I put this in TATF because while it does mention the Julio trade, the article was released weeks later and focused on the Falcons head coach reactions to the trade and reasoning behind it and how it affects the current Falcons situation.

If the mods deem this as better suited for another board, so be it.  I just figured this was the logical starting point for those who want to discuss the Falcons.

Enjoy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RetroRoq said:

I put this in TATF because while it does mention the Julio trade, the article was released weeks later and focused on the Falcons head coach reactions to the trade and reasoning behind it and how it affects the current Falcons situation.

If the mods deem this as better suited for another board, so be it.  I just figured this was the logical starting point for those who want to discuss the Falcons.

Enjoy!

Yeah, there's not much Falcons related going on right now.

Seems relevant to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, RetroRoq said:

I put this in TATF because while it does mention the Julio trade, the article was released weeks later and focused on the Falcons head coach reactions to the trade and reasoning behind it and how it affects the current Falcons situation.

If the mods deem this as better suited for another board, so be it.  I just figured this was the logical starting point for those who want to discuss the Falcons.

Enjoy!

It's an interview with Smith. It's not a Julio thread. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, A Dog Named Brian said:

Julio doesn’t automatically put any team in the Super Bowl. Another lazy article written by an uninspiring writer 

I put it this way. Yeah they look like a threat on paper but dont mean a thing if it dont work on the field. Look what happened to the whole "dream team" Eagles team that one year. All hype. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, A Dog Named Brian said:

Julio doesn’t automatically put any team in the Super Bowl. Another lazy article written by an uninspiring writer 

No, but being financially able to keep julio AND add needed additions might have helped. It boils down to having to have money without weakening already positions of need.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Williamb said:

No, but being financially able to keep julio AND add needed additions might have helped. It boils down to having to have money without weakening already positions of need.

Especially if the coaching has been fixed.

Most peeps still don’t fully grasp just how awful Quinn/Koetter truly were.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So funny how the media clowns pretend they don’t understand it. While anyone who keeps up with our team or who actually cares about our team does “get it”.

These are the reasons why most ATL fans despise these fakes.  Not just the obvious facts that AS is “rehashing for these imps”, but also because JJ has been injury prone and getting long in the tooth which should only make it even more justifiable for the media buffoons.

People like Jason aLa Cinfused are simply using their platform to insult our franchise.

:bang:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, ROMERO said:

I put it this way. Yeah they look like a threat on paper but dont mean a thing if it dont work on the field. Look what happened to the whole "dream team" Eagles team that one year. All hype. 

People seem to forget that the person responsible for making that offense work is now here. Having all the ingredients doesn’t mean you can make a stunning beef Wellington 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

So funny how the media clowns pretend they don’t understand it. While anyone who keeps up with our team or who actually cares about our team does “get it”.

These are the reasons why most ATL fans despise these fakes.  Not just the obvious facts that AS is “rehashing for these imps”, but also because JJ has been injury prone and getting long in the tooth which should only make it even more justifiable for the media buffoons.

People like Jason aLa Cinfused are simply using their platform to insult our franchise.

:bang:

i stopped taking the media serious a long time ago even if they are praising us..opinions shift one way or the other all the time for me to care about what they say..i get my info from the coaches and players themselves anything else is just talk and entertainment to me 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Bro the team was putrid garbage. That onside kick against Dallas was this team described in one play. Quinn was so god awful 

yeah i would have fired him after that game and anyone else involved in that onside kick..that doesnt happen anywhere else but in atlanta absolutely insane..i yelled at the screen and threw my controller when it happen family thought i had a attack or something i just turned off the tv after that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

i stopped taking the media serious a long time ago even if they are praising us..opinions shift one way or the other all the time for me to care about what they say..i get my info from the coaches and players themselves anything else is just talk and entertainment to me 

I feel the exact same way.  The media should always stay on the outside looking in & never taken too seriously.  You must communicate with them to a degree while understanding they’ll never be the folks you should put your trust & confidence in.  The media industry is fraught with personal agenda & lack of journalism.  No accountability whatsoever.  I tolerate only the small percentage of ones who still resemble more professional integrity.  But really don’t rely on any of them to form my opinions.  In today’s age, the absolute ONLY WAY to find truth & balance is to research it all YOURSELF.  This goes for sports & politics & life in general.  If you don’t, you’ll become sour, resentful & miserable. Most of all you’ll not come to know the truth.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I feel the exact same way.  The media should always stay on the outside looking in & never taken too seriously.  You must communicate with them to a degree while understanding they’ll never be the folks you should put your trust & confidence in.  The media industry is fraught with personal agenda & lack of journalism.  No accountability whatsoever.  I tolerate only the small percentage of ones who still resemble more professional integrity.  But really don’t rely on any of them to form my opinions.  In today’s age, the absolute ONLY WAY to find truth & balance is to research it all YOURSELF.  This goes for sports & politics & life in general.  If you don’t, you’ll become sour, resentful & miserable. Most of all you’ll not come to know the truth.  

yep pretty much all this..i do my own looking into things if i really need infomation now..only a few sources i trust with certain infomation but sports wise then they they started trashing matt ryan calling him andy dalton..cowherd and stephen a trashes matt every chance he gets..blames him for the super bowl lose i stopped listening after i heard that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

yeah i would have fired him after that game and anyone else involved in that onside kick..that doesnt happen anywhere else but in atlanta absolutely insane..i yelled at the screen and threw my controller when it happen family thought i had a attack or something i just turned off the tv after that

Yea, I was soooo angry after that game. Hadn't been that upset since the SB loss. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Yea, I was soooo angry after that game. Hadn't been that upset since the SB loss. 

I was watching the game with a Cowboys fan who was pissed off for 90% of the game. Kept telling him it's not over when the Falcons are involved. Sure enough, We watched the lead evaporate. Before the onside kick he still was adamant it was over. I just sat back and smiled. Then when the complete failure on the recovery ensued, I busted out laughing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...