The Falcons defense should be slightly above average under Dean Pees.

The Titans defense was ranked at 3 and 12 under Dean Pees in 2018 and 2019. But fell to 28 after Dean Pees left in 2020.  The Titans defense got a lot better as soon as Dean Pees took over for the Titans defense in 2018 and immediately got much worse when he left. 

I could see the Falcons defense being ranked somewhere between 10 and 15 in 2021. If Dean Pees is our defensive coordinator in 2022 and 2023 we could see a top 5 defense in Atlanta if he's given enough time.

Edited by Falcons Fan MVP

Think losing Casey really hurt their DL, perhaps Pees as well. They went from 43 sacks in 2019 to only 19 sacks in 2020 and in general just one of the worst pass rushes in the league. Now if Pees is that big a difference then perhaps we’ll be very surprised at the performance of our line. Vrabel is a defensive mind coach though so it may be more from players leaving.

In 12-years as a DC on 3 different teams he's only had 1 year where he wasn't top half in scoring defense, and only 2 where he wasn't top half in yards.  That said, while I know our personnel is better than our previous record, this might be the weakest personnel he's had compared to those 12-years.   Some of those New England and Baltimore defenses he had were stacked.    

14 minutes ago, TheHeartless said:

Think losing Casey really hurt their DL, perhaps Pees as well. They went from 43 sacks in 2019 to only 19 sacks in 2020 and in general just one of the worst pass rushes in the league. Now if Pees is that big a difference then perhaps we’ll be very surprised at the performance of our line. Vrabel is a defensive mind coach though so it may be more from players leaving.

Well to be fair, they did have an overhyped player in Clowney attempting to rush the QB

Good podcast with Dean Pees. Not sure if it was posted previously, probably was. Real smart and also sounds like its not just X's and O's. He understands people, he understands QBs. Im not claiming championship, but I do think Pees will be a very good upgrade for us at DC.

https://podcasts.apple.com/mn/podcast/s02e21-gameplanning-3rd-down-w-dean-pees-former-patriots/id1473232876?i=1000496713365

49 minutes ago, TheHeartless said:

I'm thinking Fowler or Davidson could have a good year this year. Hopefully both.

21 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

He's a lot like Wade. They have a way of scheming and play calling themselves into at least competent defenses, much like a great OC can scheme his way around average talent on an offense (Tannehill in TN and Bridgewater/Hill in New Orleans come to mind).

Sounds like Arthur Blank may have hit a home run with the new coaching staff and GM. I'm cautiously optimistic.

I’m anticipating a middle of the road defense statistically, but on the field one that we fans really appreciate as they hustle, run, hit and make big plays. The days of watching our defense breakdown and give up a 3rd and 26 conversion are over. 

We won’t be fielding the highest amount of talent, but I think our fans are going to see a defense that is sound, doesn’t falter in high pressure situations and flys to the ball.  More big plays too. We are going to have a pass rush. Our LBs and DL are perfectly suited for Pees bring it from anywhere on the field pass rush.

Im excited about our prospects. I truly hope Marlon Davidson can be the kind of DL he was at Auburn. Dominant and fired up. 

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

I won’t be Thats setting the bar to low.

I’m expecting big things from AS & Pees in particular.

That’s setting the bar at my expectations. You obviously have higher expectations and that’s fine. Going from 31st ranked defense to 20 is a big accomplishment to me

The Falcons defense in 2020 was much better than the overall numbers indicate. For a 9-game stretch from week 5 against the Panthers through week 14 against the Chargers the Falcons defense only allowed 23, 23, 23, 17, 27, 24, 6, 21, and 20 points. That averages out to 20.4 points per game. 20.4 points per game would have put the Falcons ranked 4th in the NFL in 2020.

Here's some other numbers that should be encouraging.

These are the numbers from PFR.

• Hurries - 71 (T-5th) (Hurries are stated as QB threw the ball earlier than intended or was chased out of the pocket.)
  • Hurries Percentage - 10.4% (9th) (QB Hurries per drop back.)
  • QB Knockdowns - 61 (9th) (QB hit the ground after the throw.)
  • QB Knockdowns Percentage - 9.8% (T-13th) (QB Knockdowns per drop back.)
  • Sacks - 29 (T-23rd)
  • Pressures - 161 (10th) (Hurries + QB Knockdowns + Sacks)
  • Pressures Percentage - 23.6% (15th) (Hurries + QB Knockdowns + Sacks per drop back.)

Then this is ESPN's Win Rate. (Win Rate is defined as beating your man in 2.5 seconds or less.)

• Pass Rushing Win Rate - 49% (4th)
  • Run Stopping Win Rate - 32% (4th)

ESPN's numbers suppose PFR's numbers and support the eye test of how many times the Falcons were just this close to a sack. With a little better coverage on the back end these pressures will start turning into sacks.

I think the defense is gonna knock some people's socks off. I'm expecting big things on that side of the ball.

8 hours ago, Jesus said:

All players are average or below average until they aren't anymore. Once they get in the right scheme they will surprise. Remember they had no scheme for the last 3-5 years.

The Falcons defense always played well towards the end of the season under Dan Quinn.  I'm not exactly sure what that indicates. 

8 hours ago, jetpac said:

Still trying to figure out where the pass rush is going to come from and what corners out side of Terrell is going to show up? Y’all keep throwing around Dan Pees like he can drive a car without a fully working motor. I think we are a year or so away from a respectable defense

I think the Falcons added some secondary help in FA. Guys I've never heard of. Hopefully they are a pleasant surprise.