2021 Playoffs Round 3 (ECF) - Hawks#5 vs Bucks#3

jayu70

5 hours ago, thanat0s said:

I'm HOPING that Middelton gets skittish about shooting going forward after that debacle in game 1, and that'll lower his threat level as a scorer. If we primarily have to deal with 2 man scoring, we'll out gun these guys.

Speaking of which, I noticed they went to an inside-out deal with GA and Jru in the 4th. For a minute we struggled with that. I wonder if they'll use a lot more of that in g2.

I guess, it helped them with trae but it hurt them on the boards.  We got like 4 or 5 offensive rebounds in the last 2 minutes because of it.

27 minutes ago, Beef said:

I’m not sure what to do in the off-season anymore (other than definitely pay Collins, and then Huerter).

I mean, we haven’t even had Hunter and Reddish through all this.

Heck, as recent as the beginning of this season we were complaining about how bad our defense will be/is/was when Trae, Huerter, and Collins were on the floor at the same time.  And now we’re talking about Huerter needing to be on Holiday or Middleton and JC on Giannis outside. Even Trae is consistently getting steals and rebounds.

We forget these guys are kids who are still learning how to play together, build chemistry, and improve their skills.  And they aren’t even close to their ceilings.  Not only are all these guys going to continue to improve, but when Hunter and Reddish are healthy and they too gel into the chemistry and flow of this team on the floor, it’s going to be scary good.

I still think priority #1 is another legit PG who can spell Trae and run the offense without it having to change to compensate for capabilities.  Lou is a SG who’s way past his prime. Not only isn’t he a floor general with limited assist ability, but his scoring consistency is shot.  He’s either okay or horrible. There’s no in between.

And then maybe a true 7-footer whos also got weight, but isn’t a slouch. Gotta be someone who can keep our pace and run the floor.  But a super long BIG big would be very helpful, IMO.

If Hunter and Reddish can turn into 40% shooters, along with Huerter, Gallo, and a healthy Bogi, I don’t really see a need to spend a ton on an expensive FA SG/wing.

Get a real PG who can manage the bench lineup and can play a little D.  Dunn was supposed to be that guy, but we clearly have no idea if he is at this point. If he turns out to be that guy next season, if he’s still with us, then search for that 7-footer.

I agree with all of this.  However, if another star wants to join our team to play with Trae, I won't mind. And I have a feeling their will be some guys around the league that want to get in on some of this action.

10 minutes ago, abcranford2 said:

I agree with all of this.  However, if another star wants to join our team to play with Trae, I won't mind. And I have a feeling their will be some guys around the league that want to get in on some of this action.

Possibly.  Even probably.

But to sign another star is going to require us to lose someone we currently like simply because the money isn’t there for them all.

Collins is going to get a max deal from someone if it’s not us. So if Schlenk wants to keep him, and I’m pretty sure Trae is asking him to keep him, then that’s a big chunk of our free capital gone.

Huerter is likely going to get around $15m/year soon, too.  Gallo and Bogi aren't cheap for next 3 years of their existing deals. And then Trae is going to need a max deal, too.

If Reddish and Hunter breakout, then we potentially need a lot saved for them the following year.

OO will hopefully replace Capela and not skip a beat in a couple years, at least that’s the plan. So we save some there for a while.

So after 2022 season, we’re basically going to have 2 max players and 3-4 more making $15m-$20m+.

It’s either break up existing chemistry, or manage money wise enough to keep everything we have as they all come into their own.  It’s extremely unlikely we have enough for another star unless Ressler is totally cool with going into the luxury tax.

1 hour ago, Beef said:

But to sign another star is going to require us to lose someone we currently like simply because the money isn’t there for them all.

Collins is going to get a max deal from someone if it’s not us. So if Schlenk wants to keep him, and I’m pretty sure Trae is asking him to keep him, then that’s a big chunk of our free capital gone.

Huerter is likely going to get around $15m/year soon, too.  Gallo and Bogi aren't cheap for next 3 years of their existing deals. And then Trae is going to need a max deal, too.

If Reddish and Hunter breakout, then we potentially need a lot saved for them the following year.

OO will hopefully replace Capela and not skip a beat in a couple years, at least that’s the plan. So we save some there for a while.

So after 2022 season, we’re basically going to have 2 max players and 3-4 more making $15m-$20m+.

It’s either break up existing chemistry, or manage money wise enough to keep everything we have as they all come into their own.  It’s extremely unlikely we have enough for another star unless Ressler is totally cool with going into the luxury tax.

So… Thank goodness the NBA has a “soft cap” is what you’re say. :rolleyes:

I rewatched the game this morning and one of my favorite plays was when Trey got Giannis on a switch and he took some body blows to move him back and instead he stood firm.  Then giannis did a fadeaway shot which he missed.. It wasn't a glitzy play, but man that sums up how tough this Hawk's team has been in the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, Beef said:

What if JC doesn't want to be here? He might want to go somewhere and get more touches.

18 hours ago, Mr.11 said:

Trae goes 48/7/11 on 50% shooting in his first conference finals on the road, most ever in a debut. Luka has yet to make it out of the first round.

Nobody can say anything about Trae now. Luka what? Sorry not sorry. Take nothing away from him, but I'm doing that trade again 10/10 times.

I always knew Trae would be the guy with the higher ceiling, my concern was him staying healthy enough to realize it. 

That’s why I am so glad we weren’t built to be a one man team and gave him help! And am ok with them finding even MORE help in the coming years.

14 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

What if JC doesn't want to be here? He might want to go somewhere and get more touches.

Collins latest:

Collins is the longest-tenured player on the Hawks and was Schlenk’s first draft pick. He’s been a part of some brutal losses over the past three years, and it’s affected him mentally. How do you go about proving your value when you’re part of a rebuilding team? When the Hawks signed Danilo Gallinari in free agency this offseason and with Clint Capela being healthy, Collins knew his role was going to be different. It’s come with sacrifice, going from averaging over 20 points and 10 rebounds per game to fitting into a more versatile role. He was 5-of-6 on Sunday night, scored 14 points and grabbed 16 rebounds. His defense all series against Tobias Harris was a key reason the Hawks are moving on.

This kind of role wasn’t what Collins envisioned coming into the season, but it’s been his most enjoyable because he’s experiencing what he’s been looking for since entering the league.

“These are meaningful moments now,” Collins said. “I’m proving I can win here. It’s just as valuable as showing I can get 20 or 25 points per game. Whatever anyone wants to see out of me scoring, I feel like I’ve already shown that I can score and put the ball in the bucket if that’s what you want. But are we winning because of it or with me in my situation now, do I have to score 25 every time to win? That’s not the case and it’s been me understanding that the winning makes everything so much better to appreciate all of this. What I really appreciate is it has allowed me to grow as a player and experience the other side of this league, which is winning. I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

1 minute ago, jayu70 said:

Collins latest:

Collins is the longest-tenured player on the Hawks and was Schlenk’s first draft pick. He’s been a part of some brutal losses over the past three years, and it’s affected him mentally. How do you go about proving your value when you’re part of a rebuilding team? When the Hawks signed Danilo Gallinari in free agency this offseason and with Clint Capela being healthy, Collins knew his role was going to be different. It’s come with sacrifice, going from averaging over 20 points and 10 rebounds per game to fitting into a more versatile role. He was 5-of-6 on Sunday night, scored 14 points and grabbed 16 rebounds. His defense all series against Tobias Harris was a key reason the Hawks are moving on.

This kind of role wasn’t what Collins envisioned coming into the season, but it’s been his most enjoyable because he’s experiencing what he’s been looking for since entering the league.

“These are meaningful moments now,” Collins said. “I’m proving I can win here. It’s just as valuable as showing I can get 20 or 25 points per game. Whatever anyone wants to see out of me scoring, I feel like I’ve already shown that I can score and put the ball in the bucket if that’s what you want. But are we winning because of it or with me in my situation now, do I have to score 25 every time to win? That’s not the case and it’s been me understanding that the winning makes everything so much better to appreciate all of this. What I really appreciate is it has allowed me to grow as a player and experience the other side of this league, which is winning. I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

The guy is a great speaker, incredibly eloquent and educated. Grows as a player every year. Such a lunch pail guy.

Pay him.

3 hours ago, Beef said:

We are never going to sign another star. That dream is dead. We had a chance prior to signing bogi and Gallo, but now it will never happen. Wtih or without Collins, we don't have cap space. Trae is gonna start getting paid next offseason. Huerter is also gonna be expecting another contract. Cam and Hunter are up the next year.

If we want another star, it is going to have to come from a trade, which means we are going to need contracts to match as well as pieces we can lose without regressing too far. Signing someone requires Salary cap space. We will have luxury tax space, but not Salary Cap space. 

3 hours ago, Beef said:

I’ll worry about a lot of that when the time comes. We are proving we can be a legit title contender. If we keep having this much fan interest and winning this much, I think we will do what we can to keep the core intact. Probably only room for one or Hunter and Reddish though and I think you are right on OO

2 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Are there actually people who think Jayson Tatum is better than Ice Trae?!

I mean, Tatum is nice. Been a fan of his game for a while personally.

Elite perimeter defender, perfectly sized to play 3 and 4, knockdown midrange and 3pt shooter off the catch and the dribble.

The big hole in his game is that he's a really poor playmaker and can hog the ball at times and only focus on his scoring. 

Obviously I'd rather have Trae but Tatum is right there with him imo :shrug:

4 minutes ago, Willy Mo said:

I mean, Tatum is nice. Been a fan of his game for a while personally.

Elite perimeter defender, perfectly sized to play 3 and 4, knockdown midrange and 3pt shooter off the catch and the dribble.

The big hole in his game is that he's a really poor playmaker and can hog the ball at times and only focus on his scoring. 

Obviously I'd rather have Trae but Tatum is right there with him imo :shrug:

He’s good don’t get me wrong. But I’m taking the elite play maker in today’s NBA. That and I hate the Celtics lol

2 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I think he is going to get comfortable with shooting at some point as well. 

Pure shooters learn how to adapt and when/if that happens, the Bucks might be in for it!

Well let’s just hope he doesn’t pull a Joe Harris.

3 hours ago, Mr.11 said:

He wants to be here. Where is he going to get more touches on a team with legit championship aspirations?

No way would he leave a winning situation simply to get the ball more!

There would have to be more to it than that IF he didn’t want to be here. Which I think does want to be here, by the way.

7 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Are there actually people who think Jayson Tatum is better than Ice Trae?!

I like Tatum--he does a lot of things well and is a legit star--but I don't see him as a transcendent talent, and that's what we're looking at with Trae right now. Trae's game is so unique, whereas I think there's about half a dozen players other players in the league very similar to Tatum. 

12 hours ago, thanat0s said:

I agree, he did. He started off kind of shaky, but he was fairly solid in the second half considering his injury situation. 

He’s definitely gutting it out and his leadership is huge.  Dude has a smooth shot when he’s on and I think we are going to see Bogi come alive in this series!