Training Camp Battles

We have some camp battles coming up for several positions, the two that jump out to me are the LG position, and the RB position. Here are some of the battles coming up

RB:  Davis-Ollison-Patterson-Hawkins

LG Andrews-Mayfield-Gino (upon return?)

CB #2 Scheffield- Maroeu

FS Grant-Harris

SS Harmon- Harris

Any other battles you guys interested in? Any predictions on who takes the starting jobs?

Man... I'm optimistic. I really am... 

But I'm afraid that whoever wins those camp battles, Falcons team lose the war for this season. 

I keep trying to temper expectations for this season... 

14 hours ago, AxManBigFan said:

We have some camp battles coming up for several positions, the two that jump out to me are the LG position, and the RB position. Here are some of the battles coming up

LG Andrews-Mayfield-Gino (upon return?)

CB #2 Scheffield- Maroeu

FS Grant-Harris

SS Harmon- Harris

Any other battles you guys interested in? Any predictions on who takes the starting jobs?

I get the feeling AS and Pees have their guys picked at those positions. I don’t think it will be much of a battle.

1 hour ago, Herr Doktor said:

I don't see a running back battle.  Davis is our one.  CB, starting safety, Three of five oline positions, WR are all more up in the air to me.

I’m with you on the RB battle. Sure there’s likely going to be a bit of a a battle for RB2 & RB3, but I don’t see any way Davis doesn’t already have RB1 locked up. He’s the only one of the bunch that has actually done anything at the position in the NFL.

11 minutes ago, k-train said:

I’m with you on the RB battle. Sure there’s likely going to be a bit of a a battle for RB2 & RB3, but I don’t see any way Davis doesn’t already have RB1 locked up. He’s the only one of the bunch that has actually done anything at the position in the NFL.

He was targeted by this regime from day one.  No way he doesn't start.  Totally agree 

46 minutes ago, k-train said:

You don't think Patterson has rb2 locked?

1 hour ago, Herr Doktor said:

He was targeted by this regime from day one.  No way he doesn't start.  Totally agree 

Definitely, and what an excellent choice! Davis is one of the top two or three players we acquired this off-season. Maybe the key to the playoffs more so than any other player on our offense except Ice.

I'm most looking forward to the battles in our new secondary. We've got a great problem to have in our Safety group. Proven vet leaders, rookies with high ceilings and backups that wont see a huge dropoff in play if forced into action. May the best man win.  Our corners are a totally different story IMO. Terrell is the clear-cut DB1 and should build off of a promising first season. After that it gets a little dicey. Oliver looked like the starter we all thought he could become towards the end of last year in the slot. Does that confidence translate back to the outside or is he locked in as our nickel. Fabain Moreau was an interesting signing and I'm optimistic about it but I also live in Richmond, VA so get to see and hear alot of WFT talk. No one here seems to be upset they didnt resign him and was an inconsistent player. If neither her nor Oliver are ready to man the outisde then we're in big trouble. Maybe one of the rookies balls out or Sheffield suddenly becomes a good player but i'd be watching the cut lists after camp to bring in some help.

May the best man win.  But if I had to take a guess:

RB:  Davis wins RB1 (I think this is a foregone conclusion.)  The real battle is between Ollison, Patterson, and Hawkins for who gets #2 carries.  I'm not even willing to guess on this one yet.  Gotta see how the all do in camp/preseason.

LG:  I think Andrews gets the nod early because of experience but Mayfield wins the job before the season is out.   If Mayfield shows out in camp, he could win this though.  Gono may get a shot at this when he comes back.. but the question is how long will that be.. and how did Mayfield and Andrews look in the meantime.  

CB2:  I think Moreau gets the start over Sheffield.  The new staff brought in Moreau and has no existing ties to Sheffield so I think Moreau gets his first real shot to be a starter.  Again, like the Andrews/Mayfield battle.. unless Sheffield really blows the coaching staff away during camp/preseason, I think that is how this shakes out.

FS:  Grant was drafted high for a reason.  This staff expects him to start and to be a star.   Harris is decent, but unless Grant really struggles, I think this is his job from day 1.  

SS:  This one is a toss up.  I could see Harmon, Harris, and Hawkins all getting a shot here.  I give Harmon a slight edge with Harris on his heels.  Hawkins is a bit of a wildcard..  I think he could be good, but we need to see more of him.

As far as other battles, don't forget about about center!

C : Hennesey and Dalman - Hennesey has the edge going on because of experience, but I think the staff would really like to see Dalman take it eventually  I don't know that that happens this season though.  Dalman has the skills, but I think he needs a year in an NFL strength and conditioning program before he is ready.

Don't really think there's a battle here. Davis-Ollison is going to be like Freeman-Coleman, with Davis getting the majority of snaps. 

LG: Andrews-Mayfield-Gono (upon return?)

It's Andrews to lose. We don't know when Gono is returning and I think Mayfield is going to need a year or two.

CB #2: Scheffield- Moreau

No battle here. Moreau was running as the #2 all through camp and OTA's while Oliver was in the slot. Sheff is a rotational piece at this point. 

FS: Grant-Harris

I think Harris starts initially while Grant is slowly worked in. Could take over as the #1 by mid-season. 

SS: Harmon- Harris

Harmon wins this one easily. 

2 hours ago, dirtybirds233 said:

Don't really think there's a battle here. Davis-Ollison is going to be like Freeman-Coleman, with Davis getting the majority of snaps. 

I am rooting for Ollison but I still struggle that the previous regime didn't even want him dressed out and they clearly liked something early on since they drafted him.  I think Hawkins has a chance and wouldn't completely rule out Huntley (not dissimilar to Oliison as runner).  No one knows how much Patterson will be used as a RB but his role may make it easier for Art to take a flyer on someone like Hawkins who is a different kind of runner than the rest..

Edited by Monolith2001