How are you feeling about Russell Gage as our number 2 receiver?

I’d feel better if we’d sign a vet to come in and push for the #2. A player like Golden Tate. He’s long in the tooth but would bring some veteran leadership to the room and is still got enough gas to be a potential 2 and certainly a slot #3 guy. 

4 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

Realistically, he was our #2 last season where he played well.  I think he played well.  Nothing tells me he cannot get the job done.

His production with Julio missing games  and Ridley taking over #1 was still pretty good. But you add Pitts on the field with Ridley and Gage it’s going to be much easier for him IMO.  If a CB is giving Gage issues, just line up Pitts wide more and let Gage line up inside more during a given game. They are going to move all around, AS knows how to use these guys.

We also have Hayden Hurst to upset any temporary advantage a defense might have in matchups to keep defenses guessing. 

3 hours ago, gazoo said:

His production with Julio missing games  and Ridley taking over #1 was still pretty good. But you add Pitts on the field with Ridley and Gage it’s going to be much easier for him IMO.  If a CB is giving Gage issues, just line up Pitts wide more and let Gage line up inside more during a given game. They are going to move all around, AS knows how to use these guys.

We also have Hayden Hurst to upset any temporary advantage a defense might have in matchups to keep defenses guessing. 

he's easily a 1000 yard receiver last season if he started every game. here we have a guy that's developing in house turning out to be a dependable productive receiver and we getting complaints we need a veteran. we can always use depth but let these young guys cook. dude is a 6th round draft pick for Pete's sake

On 6/19/2021 at 3:10 PM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I have heard mixed reviews about Russell Gage as our number 2 receiver. We will really need Russell Gage to step up if our offense is going to be succesful against the better defenses.

Do you guys have confidence in Russell Gage as our number 2 receiver? Could he hold it down a couple of games if God forbid Ridley or Pitts missed a couple of games due to injuries? 

I love Gage, but he’s still our #3-4 option. Pitts will be our de-facto #2 receiver. 

We’re really asking the wrong question. Number 1, number 2, number 3? This isn’t the question. The each play has a #1, #2, and #3 depending on the route combinations and defense. Our #1 or #2 will depend on who lines up where on any given play. 

The real question is the X, Y, and Z receiver position as it applies to Gage. Can he play the X, Y, and Z? 

We saw him in the Z mostly and sometimes in the Y. Can he play the X? 

Ridley can play all three. I’m sure Pitts can too (what a freak). As I mentioned earlier, I’d love to bring a vet in that can play all 3. But can Gage? Because if Gage or Ridley misses any time, we’re gonna need some depth. 

4 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

We’re really asking the wrong question. Number 1, number 2, number 3? This isn’t the question. The each play has a #1, #2, and #3 depending on the route combinations and defense. Our #1 or #2 will depend on who lines up where on any given play. 

The real question is the X, Y, and Z receiver position as it applies to Gage. Can he play the X, Y, and Z? 

Ridley can play all three. I’m sure Pitts can too (what a freak). As I mentioned earlier, I’d love to bring a vet in that can play all 3. But can Gage? Because if Gage or Ridley misses any time, we’re gonna need some depth. 

Whoa! 

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Exactly!! It's like them asking if Ridley can take over Julio's role. That's the wrong question to ask.

I think he can be a solid number 2 because Pitts and Hurst will be legit weapons as well. I think Matt spreads the ball around enough that we don’t really need a superstar number 2. The offense is loaded so he should be fine 

I just looked at how Gage did with Julio out. 

Julio played in 9 games and did not play in the final 4 games, after missing games 3,5 and 12.  

So let’s see how Gage did those last 4 games when Julio was out and Gage was effectively our #2 WR.  

Gage had 23 receptions for 264 yards and 2 TDs. 

Russell Gage’s stats projected over a 16 game schedule look like this:

92 receptions for 1,056 yards and *8 TDs.  Those are more than good stats for a teams #2 WR. 

*Julio Jones had more than 8 TDs only 1 times in his career as the teams #1 WR.

Look how many times Smith out Brown in the slot. Look at how elusive Brown is after the catch.

Does that look like Ridley beating defenders with routes or Pitts defeating defenders with physicality and size?

Ridley, Pitts, Cage all look interchangeable to me in this Offensive scheme.

I'm good with these guys. All of them.

Edited by Doug Carlton