Josh Andrews - our LG?

I know this was a signing that a lot of people brushed off as a camp body or practice squad player but it seems like he's been taking most the the first team reps at LG. Are we trusting in AS's ability to coach and scheme him up or do you think things will change once training camp starts? How are you feeling about the LG position?

James Carpenter, I mean Josh Andrews the second  rated worst guard in the league last year?  I shutter to think we have to rely on him or the ability of the coaching staff to have to coach him "up". 

And Mayfield, while I like his size and nastiness, Im equally concerned about a 20 year old rookie  who has never played guard learn the ropes against NFL interior linemen. 

Combine those 2 with whoever wins the center job? Matt Ryan has every reason to be going Aaron Rodgers on TF.

5 hours ago, alexhead97 said:

I think Mayfield has been taking a lot of reps at RT this week so I guess Andrews is the backup LG.

He's been getting the reps when McGary has been out. I know there's a lot of McGary love on here but I think Mayfield pushes him at RT more than we expect. 

I think Andrews is the starting LG with Mayfield as the back up.

43 minutes ago, 804_Falconfan said:

He's been getting the reps when McGary has been out. I know there's a lot of McGary love on here but I think Mayfield pushes him at RT more than we expect. 

I think Andrews is the starting LG with Mayfield as the back up.

Mcgary love here? I dont know that I would have thought that. I would have said most here are not supports of Mcgary.

1 minute ago, runshoot said:

Mcgary love here? I dont know that I would have thought that. I would have said most here are not supports of Mcgary.

There was a lot of positive McGary talk come draft season. A lot of people were advocating against drafting Sewell and playing him at RT because McGary was here. 

20 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Yeah, I think the McGary Love fest has cooled to more of a McGary Friendzone situation, with the McGary Disillusionment phase nigh at hand if one of these young guys can step up.

10 hours ago, 804_Falconfan said:

I know this was a signing that a lot of people brushed off as a camp body or practice squad player but it seems like he's been taking most the the first team reps at LG. Are we trusting in AS's ability to coach and scheme him up or do you think things will change once training camp starts? How are you feeling about the LG position?

10 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I think, and I could be wrong, the majority is pulling for Mayfield to win that competition

8 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

He coached Ty SAMBRAILO into a serviceable tackle.

Seems like most rookies take a half-season or so to get thier feet under them.   I can see Andrews starting the season, with Mayfield or Henny getting some playing time at LG here and there.

Thing is with Gono's injury, Mayfield may be being considered as the backup OT now.  Does this change things?  I would think so.....

19 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Seems like most rookies take a half-season or so to get thier feet under them.   I can see Andrews starting the season, with Mayfield or Henny getting some playing time at LG here and there.

Thing is with Gono's injury, Mayfield may be being considered as the backup OT now.  Does this change things?  I would think so.....

I think Henny is our center for the season if healthy. Seems like he's stepped up in practice so far

3 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

Gono going down may change the dynamic.  I have to think that if a decent OG/OT is available, they will spring.  

Most of this is predicated on whether they like what we have.  Too soon to really tell.  Gono hurts in a few ways.

6 hours ago, Clark Kent™ said:

I think the coaches get McGary coached up at Mayfield slides in at LG. We finna maul some folks. 

3 hours ago, OrthoPTSD said:

James Carpenter, I mean Josh Andrews the second  rated worst guard in the league last year?  I shutter to think we have to rely on him or the ability of the coaching staff to have to coach him "up". 

And Mayfield, while I like his size and nastiness, Im equally concerned about a 20 year old rookie  who has never played guard learn the ropes against NFL interior linemen. 

Combine those 2 with whoever wins the center job? Matt Ryan has every reason to be going Aaron Rodgers on TF.

I'd feel a lot better if Lindstrom was moved to LG.  That is where the best OGs tend to be because the best pass rushing DTs tend to play there.

Mayfield and McGrary could battle it out for RT  and RG.   Right now I would favor McGrary as RT with Mayfield at RG.... based more on experience than anything else.  Maybe switch the two at some point?   Man, losing Gono really hurts........

Currently the Falcons have Oliver Senat Gage Oluokun Hurst (plus the injured Gono) in the last year of thier contracts.  Anyone the Falcons do not intend to re-sign, should be considered as tradebait for some O-line or even CB help.

4 minutes ago, 804_Falconfan said:

I think Henny is our center for the season if healthy. Seems like he's stepped up in practice so far

Good info and good news.

One thing to keep in mind.... except for Grady Jarrett, the Falcons have been fielding some very average D lines recently.   These are the guys our O linemen practice against.   So when our O linemen are being said to 'looking good'.... seems to me its hard to gauge just how good our O linemen really -are-.

6 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Good info and good news.

One thing to keep in mind.... except for Grady Jarrett, the Falcons have been fielding some very average D lines recently.   These are the guys our O linemen practice against.   So when our O linemen are being said to 'looking good'.... seems to me its hard to gauge just how good our O linemen really -are-.

Good point. I'm more impressed with Henny because it seems like all the good news has been about his growth and understanding of the game and what it takes to be the starting center i.e. Matthews talking up how he's found his voice out there.

14 minutes ago, 804_Falconfan said:

Good point. I'm more impressed with Henny because it seems like all the good news has been about his growth and understanding of the game and what it takes to be the starting center i.e. Matthews talking up how he's found his voice out there.

Yeah this is good news.  Can't have your center be a wallflower type.....  🙄

Man, our starting O line is sure going to be young this year...