Matt Gono out for season

On 7/7/2021 at 5:38 AM, newa6eoutlw said:

I will never understand all the love for Matt Gono 

Advanced mediocrity.  When someone comes in and is serviceable, folks freak out.  We embraced mediocre talent and play for so long that when a "diamond in the rough" shows up, earned or not, he gets rave reviews.  The team clearly liked him enough to use that tender on him.  

8 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Advanced mediocrity.  When someone comes in and is serviceable, folks freak out.  We embraced mediocre talent and play for so long that when a "diamond in the rough" shows up, earned or not, he gets rave reviews.  The team clearly liked him enough to use that tender on him.  

I think that results from having so many seasons without serviceable depth.  We were conditioned for a collapse whenever a single player went down.  Now, we see a backup player who is serviceable and the shock and surprise brings out the superlatives. 

Just now, NorthGaBoy said:

I think that results from having so many seasons without serviceable depth.  We were conditioned for a collapse whenever a single player went down.  Now, we see a backup player who is serviceable and the shock and surprise brings out the superlatives. 

Boom.  Depth of any real quality has always eluded us.  I think we are weirdly much deeper, at least on paper, this season with shopping at KMart.  We just have to hope some of our kids step up.  

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2021 at 5:38 AM, newa6eoutlw said:

I will never understand all the love for Matt Gono 

Because it's nice to not have to run your pass-blocking TE out to OT to finish a game like we've seen in the past. Gono isn't going to make any Falcon's fan forget Mike Kenn, but he's no Lamar Holmes either. I prefer 'adequate' OL depth over 'giant hole of suck' OL depth.

Edited by Geneaut

3 hours ago, Geneaut said:

Because it's nice to not have to run your pass-blocking TE out to OT to finish a game like we've seen in the past. Gono isn't going to make any Falcon's fan forget Mike Kenn, but he's no Lamar Holmes either. I prefer 'adequate' OL depth over 'giant hole of suck' OL depth.

Honest to God, our depth was so **** pathetic that when a lineman went down, I would turn off the TV.  I got visions of Toilolo moving to tackle.  No depth sucks.  Adequate depth would be a universal leap in our overall development.  We may as well have had tissue paper strung across scrimmage, or a series of road cones as basic facsimiles of humanity.  Honestly, a road cone served a purpose.  Elegant in design, and simple in its deployment, it actually would have served as more of an obstacle as some of the undead we trotted out as lineman.