Matt Gono out for season

7 hours ago, TXAintsHater said:

Right, I shouldn't assume. To me, with one report saying he was expected to be out for the season, and the next saying "not season-ending" I assumed it was a 3-6 month timeline. Could easily even be shorter. For example, Kyle Long of the Chiefs was first reported to be far more severe, now he's expected for preseason.

This is the thing is one reporter will go off what another reporter said and it gets the rumor mill churning. It’s possible the Falcons still don’t know exactly how long he’ll be out yet if surgery just happened. 

But one thing I’ve picked up on already is that AS is not going to be discussing these things very often after he was repeatedly asked about Ridleys surgery and refused to budge, only to have Ridley tweet out he’ll likely be ready for camp.

21 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

For $3.3 mil I think he was a little more than a camp body.

Second highest graded OT on our line last year too. He would've been our best swing tackle at worst.

So he beat out Kaleb McGary for that honor? That’s very impressive. I think my wife would be third highest graded tackle on the team, bumping Kaleb down to fourth. 

1 hour ago, Dirtier Bird said:

So he beat out Kaleb McGary for that honor? That’s very impressive. I think my wife would be third highest graded tackle on the team, bumping Kaleb down to fourth. 

I didn't say he beat out anyone. I said he's the swing tackle at worst, which makes him the third best OT. He was also competing at LG. What it means is he was more than a camp body.

14 hours ago, gazoo said:

Gono  is NOT out for the season. He had an undisclosed surgery and is expected back some time during the season.

Understood, but an undisclosed surgery that expects him to be eligible to play "some time" during the season is not very encouraging.  

Perhaps when he is eligible to return, he will need a few weeks to get back into playing shape.  There is no telling what sort of physical problem he has right now.  If he can not suit up game one, then the team will need to have to come up with a solution for swing tackle.  

Clearly, this has to be viewed as a knock on an already suspect unit.  Mayfield is an obvious candidate to plug into the swing tackle role, but I would not count on a rookie to be able to back up both OT spots. 

With the new found cap space, I would expect our FO to snatch up any decent OL's that get cut in the summer.   

I'm sorry to hear about this. Good luck to Gono on his recovery! From the team perspective, if bad stuff like this has to happen, now is one of the better times to learn about it. You know what your up against entering TC. You can train and make roster adjustments accordingly. 

You just have to wrap your head around the idea someone on the team is going to get a long term injury every year. I hate it for Gono because he's suited up and tried his best to crack the starting lineup since he got here and getting hurt prior to the season must sting, especially when he was in the mix for a starting job. 

I hope he recovers well and this injury isn't as bad as it initially sounded.

1 hour ago, etherdome said:

Understood, but an undisclosed surgery that expects him to be eligible to play "some time" during the season is not very encouraging.  

What is the exact source? Who was it exactly that said they expect to to play sometime this season? Is this AS telling you this, a team physician, the surgeon who performed the surgery, or is this a “source told us” that got filtered  second or third hand to a media source?

Ive been witnessing for years this stuff the media reports turn out to be incorrect, exaggerated or just have a tiny element of truth to it.

in fact, it happened here. First we hear he’s out for season, then we hear he is expected back during season. Story is already changing.

3 minutes ago, gazoo said:

What is the exact source? Who was it exactly that said they expect to to play sometime this season? Is this AS telling you this, a team physician, the surgeon who performed the surgery, or is this a “source told us” that got filtered  second or third hand to a media source?

Gazoo, I was quoting you.

Btw @etherdome, I hope you know I wasn’t coming down on you or anyone else here on the thread. I’m just making the point until we hear these type of things from a qualified source, they are just rumors that typically have some element of truth to them, but so often end up as exaggerates or distortions of the entire truth. This one already went from  “Out for season” to “expected back sometime during season” but we still don’t really know until a qualified source goes on record. 

9 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Dude I don’t down vote ...but you and your wife need to take a deep breath 

By take a deep breath, do you mean I should appreciate the sub-par performances of Gono and McGary? I wonder why. They have both been terrible in pass protection. Do you enjoy seeing Matt Ryan knocked down?

Oh, and thanks for not down voting. That would be truly awful to have someone dislike or disagree with what I say on a message board. 

1 hour ago, Dirtier Bird said:

By take a deep breath, do you mean I should appreciate the sub-par performances of Gono and McGary? I wonder why. They have both been terrible in pass protection. Do you enjoy seeing Matt Ryan knocked down?

Oh, and thanks for not down voting. That would be truly awful to have someone dislike or disagree with what I say on a message board. 

IF Gono is the difference for this team being good v being sucky we got deeper problems than I ever thought!

On 6/18/2021 at 8:36 AM, Dirtier Bird said:

LOL would need to see pics and videos of your wife along with her statistics to make a better decision on that. Does she block you from the sack? 

4 hours ago, Dirtier Bird said:

Yes I’m sick of seeing MR get sacked. TD just couldn’t get it done for the OL DLs. I wouldn’t completely kick Gono and McGary out based on coaching alone. Yes it’s showtime for those guys but I’m going to pass on you and wifey. Let’s give these two guys another chance with a better OL coach and play caller. Just trying to be optimistic especially this time of year.

2 hours ago, NWFALCON said:

We just need better edge guys to help our O line with pass rushers. Iron sharpens iron. Amirite?

You actually mean we’ve been needing edge guys for 13 years lol.
Yes you are correct sir.