Matt Gono out for season

2 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

We are actually pretty lucky.  It's our glaring lack of depth traditionally that made any of our injuries look catastrophic.

Our regression to the mean for one-score games may be offset by the expected regression to the mean for injuries. 

2 hours ago, hjerry said:

This is what happens when we trust Matt Karoly and what he's "being told"

I don't think Matt would ever lie. He seems very well-connected, and was simply "told" by someone, and that's what he said. He also alluded to this last night, saying he "thought he knew what the corresponding move would be" to the signing of Badet but "wouldn't say anything until official." (Obviously, this wasn't the move.) 

The report that says it isn't season-ending also hasn't disclosed what the injury was, where/how he suffered it, and what type of surgery he underwent. It could be something from the player's camp/agency saying "we expect him to be back" or something. We have to wait for more info, but all we know is he's injured. And sometimes, injuries that are thought to be worse end up not being as bad and vice versa. Expect to hear an official announcement from the team soon. Until then, we know nothing definitive.

6 hours ago, NWFALCON said:

The curse of Julio begins.  

had to add him to the thread. I believe that’s a 2021 requirement for the forum. 

You’re the curse.  You curse yourself while most of the rest of us will roll on without the bad attitude.  

6 hours ago, hjerry said:

Feel for him and he'll be a FA next year 

Tough 

Yeah, for some reason, I always like the guy and was hoping he would start for us.

I hope the guy can come back to full health by mid-season.  

Shoot, it is beginning to look like he is not destined to start in the league.  

46 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Yeah, for some reason, I always like the guy and was hoping he would start for us.

I hope the guy can come back to full health by mid-season.  

Shoot, it is beginning to look like he is not destined to start in the league.  

Might be a vet min or low price FA for us next year considering the "injury history".

Regardless, it definitely sounds like he's going to miss significant time. Depends on the timeline but he it may be just until September or all the way until December. Decent chance a move (probably minor) is going to be made.

33 minutes ago, TXAintsHater said:

Regardless, it definitely sounds like he's going to miss significant time.

You don't know that. It's pure speculation at this point. Gono could be back for training camp or first game of the season for all you know.

And one thing we should know about AS, he isn't going to talk specifics about player injuries at times. He refused to give any indication on when Ridley would come back despite being asked several times. Ridley then posted on his instagram he'd likely be back for training camp. 

3 hours ago, gazoo said:

You don't know that. It's pure speculation at this point. Gono could be back for training camp or first game of the season for all you know.

And one thing we should know about AS, he isn't going to talk specifics about player injuries at times. He refused to give any indication on when Ridley would come back despite being asked several times. Ridley then posted on his instagram he'd likely be back for training camp. 

Right, I shouldn't assume. To me, with one report saying he was expected to be out for the season, and the next saying "not season-ending" I assumed it was a 3-6 month timeline. Could easily even be shorter. For example, Kyle Long of the Chiefs was first reported to be far more severe, now he's expected for preseason.

Edited by TXAintsHater
Amended quote

1 minute ago, 804_Falconfan said:

Sucks for depth but I didn't think Gono was going to win out for any starting spots this year. Hope he can come back sooner rather than later. 

Yeah, like PFF, I never was impressed by Gono.  Still, hate to lose a camp body.

2 hours ago, Dirtier Bird said:

Yeah, like PFF, I never was impressed by Gono.  Still, hate to lose a camp body.

For $3.3 mil I think he was a little more than a camp body.

Second highest graded OT on our line last year too. He would've been our best swing tackle at worst.