Arthur Smith press conference | Final week of OTAs

Some really stupid questions. These people are lucky enough to get paid to interview an NFL head coach. Be involved in the NFL in any capacity would be amazing. And one of the questions is

“how do you expect the competition to be at training camp?” Really? Wow. I mean they’re probably going to sing songs all day then paper/rock/scissors for starting positions. WTH 

Also the constant shoehorning of Julio Jones into questions is so dumb. Arthur Smith knows we traded him. Believe me. Why does everything have to be with Julio slipped in at the end? Just say how is Ridley doing? That’s ok. Doesn’t have to be “in light of the Julio trade” 

2 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

They should ask him how concerned he is about year 1 growing pains and is he confident that he can hit the ground running.

No coach will ever say they aren’t confident. That’s a waste of a question 

31 minutes ago, RYNE said:

Some really stupid questions. These people are lucky enough to get paid to interview an NFL head coach. Be involved in the NFL in any capacity would be amazing. And one of the questions is

“how do you expect the competition to be at training camp?” Really? Wow. I mean they’re probably going to sing songs all day then paper/rock/scissors for starting positions. WTH 

Also the constant shoehorning of Julio Jones into questions is so dumb. Arthur Smith knows we traded him. Believe me. Why does everything have to be with Julio slipped in at the end? Just say how is Ridley doing? That’s ok. Doesn’t have to be “in light of the Julio trade” 

Dled tried that and coach told him something along the lines of the fact he wasn't worried about having Deion in his prime on the team either.  That made me chuckle.  

1 minute ago, pren226 said:

Dled tried that and coach told him something along the lines of the fact he wasn't worried about having Deion in his prime on the team either.  That made me chuckle.  

It’s just brutal to watch/listen to. 

I feel like the coverage of this team is pathetic. Why can’t they stream some more stuff on the website. Like show us the 1 on 1 drills at Training camp or something. Actually I’d pay to watch that. These 30 second clips that we get are worthless. Just really disappointing. 

I haven't watched this video yet, honestly, I haven't watched any of the full press conferences, just snippets here and there that people post on Twitter. But all that being said, I'm kinda bored so I decided to start with the video from June 2nd and work my way forward in time. But anyway, in that video he was asked, how does he go about installing the schemes. His answer was that he has to work from the mindset that the players know nothing. Everyone starts with a blank slate and the foundation needs to be built from the ground up. You can't assume what guys may or may not know so by treating everyone equally and starting from the ground up it makes sure that everyone is on the same page. I like hearing that. I like knowing that we're starting from the ground up and not assuming guys might know something that they might not really know.

19 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I haven't watched this video yet, honestly, I haven't watched any of the full press conferences, just snippets here and there that people post on Twitter. But all that being said, I'm kinda bored so I decided to start with the video from June 2nd and work my way forward in time. But anyway, in that video he was asked, how does he go about installing the schemes. His answer was that he has to work from the mindset that the players know nothing. Everyone starts with a blank slate and the foundation needs to be built from the ground up. You can't assume what guys may or may not know so by treating everyone equally and starting from the ground up it makes sure that everyone is on the same page. I like hearing that. I like knowing that we're starting from the ground up and not assuming guys might know something that they might not really know.

And then the reporter tried to use those words against him and AS shut him down. I remembered that Q&A session.

2 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

And then the reporter tried to use those words against him and AS shut him down. I remembered that Q&A session.

Yep. Absolutely. Love this guy!! Also like that he said "I'm not here to make myself sound like the smartest guy in the room and use a bunch of buzz words." That is so anti-Quinn.

1 hour ago, RYNE said:

They also like to ask about filling the hole in the offense left by Julio. There is no hole, Julio was never in his offense. He has no adjustments to make, because he never had a offensive plan with him. I know he's got to be sick of it.

14 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

That is the mindset of a teacher.  I am pulling for Arthur to be the best he can be for us.

They'll all hit their groove.  The reporters aren't used to asking him questions and he's not used to answering.

If they ask what he's excited about in a player like Ridley, he'll say "Well, like all players, we're trying to get him up to speed and make him the best he can be and we're all on different timelines, you can't expect them all to be the same."

He can easily say "With someone like Ridley, you're obviously excited about his natural movement ability and his ability to gain separation against man coverage.  We're looking for what else he excels at and how we can utilize that in different ways."

You can say a little about what you like about a player so that reporters have something to write (for the fans) without giving anything away.

I'd imagine we'll see some more of that.  No talking about ex players or drama, but a little more meaty answers about players and what they're doing.

Man, we can brainstorm some questions for the coaches to answer. Maybe we ought to have our own AFMB TATF media correspondent.

1) Coach Smith, how far along are the players in picking up the fundamentals and nuances of your offense?

2) Describe one of your primary focuses for the offense going into training camp.

3) What is an area of focus that you want to be sure that the team as a whole is sufficiently prepared in come Week 1?

4) Can you speak on how [insert player's name] is being integrated into the [offense/defense]? Are these roles hard and fast or do you anticipate them changing or expanding as the season goes on?

These seem like some good questions to me. What do yall wanna know?

1 hour ago, takeitdown said:

They'll all hit their groove.  The reporters aren't used to asking him questions and he's not used to answering.

If they ask what he's excited about in a player like Ridley, he'll say "Well, like all players, we're trying to get him up to speed and make him the best he can be and we're all on different timelines, you can't expect them all to be the same."

He can easily say "With someone like Ridley, you're obviously excited about his natural movement ability and his ability to gain separation against man coverage.  We're looking for what else he excels at and how we can utilize that in different ways."

You can say a little about what you like about a player so that reporters have something to write (for the fans) without giving anything away.

I'd imagine we'll see some more of that.  No talking about ex players or drama, but a little more meaty answers about players and what they're doing.

Yeah, next year may show more of Arthur's personality.  He's all business for sure right now.

2 hours ago, Mr.11 said:

Man, we can brainstorm some questions for the coaches to answer. Maybe we ought to have our own AFMB TATF media correspondent.

1) Coach Smith, how far along are the players in picking up the fundamentals and nuances of your offense?

2) Describe one of your primary focuses for the offense going into training camp.

3) What is an area of focus that you want to be sure that the team as a whole is sufficiently prepared in come Week 1?

4) Can you speak on how [insert player's name] is being integrated into the [offense/defense]? Are these roles hard and fast or do you anticipate them changing or expanding as the season goes on?

These seem like some good questions to me. What do yall wanna know?

I'm issuing you a press pass