Should Julio's number be retired?

Should Julio's number be retired?   

169 members have voted

1. 1. Should 11 be retired?

• Yes
    • No

On 6/13/2021 at 9:07 AM, Run 'n' Shoot said:

Ryan is the only player in a long time whose number I'd give serious consideration to truly retiring when he's done.

I wouldn’t even consider Matt’s. Unless he wins a SB. But if he never doesnt if I’d have to consider Matt I’d also consider Julio. They are one of the best qb/wr tandems to ever do it. So I wouldn’t consider Matt without considering Julio. A big reason for Matt being considered is Julio. They’re joined at the hip like rice and Montana. You will NEVER be able to say Matt Ryan without saying Julio Jones. 

18 hours ago, Southern California Liar said:

I'm sorry he hurt your feelings.

The guy was a slug.  He might be a star putting up numbers but overall he was only out for himself and not a team player.  We don't know if he sat out last season just so he did not injure himself before he made his exit. He could have even faked his injuries... we will never know.

He did not hurt my feelings.  He lost my support and respect because of the callus way he went about leaving.  Especially after the contract he got from the Falcons.  A contract so onerous it strapped the franchise.  Then he did not produce again.

There is more to honoring a player other than his stats.   Julio also was not racking up the TD's.

But as far as overall impression of his character... he burned his bridges.  If you cannot accept that opinion tooooooooo bad.  Many fans feel the same way.

He was overpaid for his mediocre performance and wanted more money.  Did not give the new coaching staff a chance and was the main cause of our cap situation.

Good riddance... and to his new performance... what do they say on Broadway... break a leg.

:slick: No! To retiring his number.... unless another better Falcon uses it... yeah...

Deion got his number retired despite the isht he talked when he came back and called this his house, but given how much of a diva Quintorris became, I wonder. Also, I wonder if Blank is still the owner of the team by the time retiring #11 really comes under consideration.

On 6/14/2021 at 7:58 PM, Realsurfin said:

He was overpaid for his mediocre performance and wanted more money. 

Man...........here is where you know you were in your feelings. 

The number one receiver in YPG, literally the best ever in NFL history in gaining yards per game, was mediocre in your opinion. 

Once again.....I'm sorry he hurt your feelings and that you weren't able to appreciate what he was doing as just a football fan. It's gonna be a while before you see it again.

3 hours ago, Mega Flare said:

Deion got his number retired despite the isht he talked when he came back and called this his house, but given how much of a diva Quintorris became, I wonder. Also, I wonder if Blank is still the owner of the team by the time retiring #11 really comes under consideration.

Deion's number is not retired. The Falcons don't retire numbers. Several players have worn #21 since Deion left.

On 6/13/2021 at 10:41 AM, DonOfThemBirds said:

The Falcons don't officially retire numbers. With that said, they did put numbers out of circulation during the Smith ownership era that are grandfathered in under Blank.

No one has worn these numbers in years but they aren't officially retired:

Bartkowski - 10

Andrews - 31

Van Note - 57

Tuggle - 58

Nobis - 60

Wasn't Gage just rejected for wanting to wear #10

On 6/14/2021 at 1:25 PM, TheFatboi said:

I wouldn’t even consider Matt’s. Unless he wins a SB. But if he never doesnt if I’d have to consider Matt I’d also consider Julio. They are one of the best qb/wr tandems to ever do it. So I wouldn’t consider Matt without considering Julio. A big reason for Matt being considered is Julio. They’re joined at the hip like rice and Montana. You will NEVER be able to say Matt Ryan without saying Julio Jones. 

Matt was winning games here before Julio came along. Not hating on Julio but many have made the argument that Julio is Julio because of a QB like Matt Ryan.

Matt has proven he can get the ball to anyone, know we'll see how Julio does without Matt.

One things for sure, I'll try and watch as many Titans games as I can. 

14 hours ago, Southern California Liar said:

Man...........here is where you know you were in your feelings. 

The number one receiver in YPG, literally the best ever in NFL history in gaining yards per game, was mediocre in your opinion. 

Once again.....I'm sorry he hurt your feelings and that you weren't able to appreciate what he was doing as just a football fan. It's gonna be a while before you see it again.

His stats did not translate into TD's... he put up stats... then sat it out.

LoL... it's your feelings that are coming through.  You can hug Julio's knees while you watch the titans... lol

Personally I prefer the Ravens if I am slumming in the sports bar.

This year the Falcons will have my attention.

It is all good.  Falcons taking out the trash and fixing the house from within.

I get it man... you Love Julio.  You adore him... its cool.  I sometimes think about my ex wife... then I wake up... lol

Edited by Realsurfin

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

Julio will probably go down with Deion as greatest player to ever wear a falcon jersey. Unlike Deion, he gave us 10+ seasons. So yes, retire his number.

I'm torn right now, because I am "in my feelings" I guess.

I have mixed feelings about JJ. LOVED the guy, but I really didn't want to see him go. The SB loss still stings, and I wanted so bad for him and MR to get one here together.  I'm mixed, because TF & AS didn't seem to even try to keep him. It's like their mind was already made up. I'm not a big fan of the "nobody is bigger than the team" mantra. It's plain and simple - that saying is complete bull pucky! If JJ hadn't been hurt, and his contract wasn't strapping the team with very little options to do otherwise, he'd still be here. In other words,  Great players do get more leeway than the not so great players. Reality is that the new regime didn't have many options other than to trade JJ, but it had nothing to do with the "no player is bigger than the team" stuff, because if any of the reasons he was traded didn't exist, he'd still be a Falcon.

You're point of him being here for 10 years though is a valid one. I just can't support it right now. Just another reminder of our failure to get it done in the SB. 

In time, I am sure that I would support it. I just want to be pissed now! I feel little like a jilted lover. I wanted him to stay so bad, now I am just ready to move on. I like our team, I think we have reloaded, and honestly, I don't think we'll miss a beat without him. 

1 hour ago, Realsurfin said:

His stats did not translate into TD's... he put up stats... then sat it out.

LoL... it's your feelings that are coming through.  You can hug Julio's knees while you watch the titans... lol

Personally I prefer the Ravens if I am slumming in the sports bar.

This year the Falcons will have my attention.

It is all good.  Falcons taking out the trash and fixing the house from within.

I get it man... you Love Julio.  You adore him... its cool.  I sometimes think about my ex wife... then I wake up... lol

You're hurt bro. Its ok.

11 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Wasn't Gage just rejected for wanting to wear #10

6 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Yep

Can someone point me to that info? That's the second time I've heard it mentioned but without proof.

21 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Can someone point me to that info? That's the second time I've heard it mentioned but without proof.

I posted it on the first page.

On 6/13/2021 at 11:04 AM, DonOfThemBirds said:

Falcons block Russell Gage from switching to jersey number formerly worn by an Atlanta legend
By Tyler Sullivan 

The NFL loosened up its jersey number restrictions this offseason and various players across the league are taking full advantage as they shake up the number they'll don on game day. One of the jersey changes set to take place that actually would have been permitted under the previous set of rules can be found in Atlanta with receiver Russell Gage. He's elected to switch from No. 83 to No. 14 heading into next season (the new rules allow receivers, running backs and others to wear single digits). That said, No. 14 wasn't the pass catcher's first choice. 

Gage admitted on Thursday that he originally wanted to wear No. 10. As he noted, the Falcons blocked Gage from making that specific jersey swap, forcing him to go in a different direction. 

"I wanted something different, something fresh," Gage said of the change, via The Atlanta Journal-Consitution. "I actually tried to get 10, but it's retired. I understand. I just wanted something fresh, something new." 

While Gage may be under the assumption that No. 10 -- a number famously worn by Steve Bartkowski from 1975-85 -- is retired, it technically isn't. The Falcons do not officially retire numbers and instead place their legendary collection of past players in the Ring of Honor. That said, there are a few jersey numbers that the club has kept on the shelf since the legend has walked away. For instance, no player has worn No. 60 after Tommy Nobis, nor No. 31 since William Andrews. 

To get one of those numbers formerly worn by a Falcons great, a player's best bet is to have a heightened stature within the organization of one day being considered legend themself. But, that's not a hard-and-fast rule, it would appear. There are members of Atlanta's Ring of Honor that have seen their numbers worn after they've called it a career. For example, Cordarrelle Patterson wears Roddy White's No. 84 and Duron Harrison wears No. 21, formerly sported by Deion Sanders. 

As for Bartkowski's No. 10, Scott Campbell was the last Falcon to wear it, from 1986-1990, and it's been sidelined since. While Gage has blossomed into a reliable piece within the Falcons offense, his current standing may not have him on the track to properly take on such an important mantle in the team's eyes. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/falcons-block-russell-gage-from-switching-to-jersey-number-formerly-worn-by-an-atlanta-legend/amp/

1 hour ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I'm torn right now, because I am "in my feelings" I guess.

I have mixed feelings about JJ. LOVED the guy, but I really didn't want to see him go. The SB loss still stings, and I wanted so bad for him and MR to get one here together.  I'm mixed, because TF & AS didn't seem to even try to keep him. It's like their mind was already made up. I'm not a big fan of the "nobody is bigger than the team" mantra. It's plain and simple - that saying is complete bull pucky! If JJ hadn't been hurt, and his contract wasn't strapping the team with very little options to do otherwise, he'd still be here. In other words,  Great players do get more leeway than the not so great players. Reality is that the new regime didn't have many options other than to trade JJ, but it had nothing to do with the "no player is bigger than the team" stuff, because if any of the reasons he was traded didn't exist, he'd still be a Falcon.

You're point of him being here for 10 years though is a valid one. I just can't support it right now. Just another reminder of our failure to get it done in the SB. 

In time, I am sure that I would support it. I just want to be pissed now! I feel little like a jilted lover. I wanted him to stay so bad, now I am just ready to move on. I like our team, I think we have reloaded, and honestly, I don't think we'll miss a beat without him. 

Pretty much where I am too Boise. Quinn waisted his and Matt’s prime years. 

But as you alluded, once we get past our feelings I think folks will come back to the realization of what a phenomenal player JJ was here….and what he meant to this franchise during all his years here.

Selah.

1 hour ago, jetpac said:

You're hurt bro. Its ok.

Not really Jetpac.  I "was" a Julio fan.  Hooper fan too.  But... when I started to see how Julio treated the team and his injury situation I realized he was just another commodity.  I really thought his dead money Cap hit would have kept him here another year.

So when he started to vibe on his greatness being wasted on the Falcons that was it... stats or no stats we do not need him.

I also would have jettisoned Quinn and TD 2 years ago... Quinn did not deserve a 2nd chance.  TD'S cap problem started years ago... He just kept kicking the can down the road praying to get back to the playoffs or a superbowl with cockamamie draft schemes cause he blew his load with Julio and contracts with players coming off injury... broken wings.

Can you imagine how totally screwed up this offseason would be if TD and Quinn were here... oh my god... lol. We really have made progress.  So really I am not hurting. 

If Julio kept his big mouth shut and left without the Julio drama... fine but he took the low road.  Plus we still got him a great trade...not so much for us.

I would have sent him to the Jets for a NY Sicilian Pizza and a case of cold Yuengling Lager. 😎👍🏈

5 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Maybe most talented by not the best player.  That would be Matt.  

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/atl/all-pros.htm

BTW, as you know I love Matt too. And believe they both should have their falcon jerseys’ retired….together, hopefully. 

This question always comes up. Julio is easily the best player to ever play for the Falcons and it's not close. He was a top 5 NFL player for 4-5 straight years. He's in a class of his own. Matt is NOT on Julio's level of talent. However, Matt is the most VALUABLE player to ever play for the Falcons. But he wasn't better than Julio in terms of skill at his position. 

8 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

This question always comes up. Julio is easily the best player to ever play for the Falcons and it's not close. He was a top 5 NFL player for 4-5 straight years. He's in a class of his own. Matt is NOT on Julio's level of talent. However, Matt is the most VALUABLE player to ever play for the Falcons. But he wasn't better than Julio in terms of skill at his position. 

Here’s my all important take on all this, please take notes everyone.  

2011: Julio is drafted.

2012: Falcons blow 17 point lead in NFC Championship Game to lose.

2016: Falcons blow 25 point lead in Super Bowl to lose.

6/6/2021: Julio is traded.

6/14/2021: Hawks come back from 18 down to win.

6/16/2021: Hawks come back from 26 down to win.

I’m just the data/stats guy, you can all do with that what you please.  I see no coincidence here.  The curse has been lifted.