Should Julio's number be retired?

Should Julio's number be retired?   

169 members have voted

1. 1. Should 11 be retired?

• Yes
    • No

We watched a player break record after record. He still has the highest average ypg of any receiver ever.......EVER.

Some of y'all are in your feelings. Recency bias at it's extreme. What you saw........you'll never see it again in a Falcons jersey. That is as good as it is gonna be here. Somebody will do it better sooner or later but the chances of it happening in a Falcons jersey are pretty slim.

What he did as a wide receiver here is as good as we will ever see in an Alanta Falcons jersey. Whatever it is that they do as a team he will absolutely deserve it 1000%. 

33 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

A case could be made using your rational.  Nothing at all wrong with anything you posted.

Allow me to point out.... the Falcons set a precedent by 'enshrining' Deion Sanders and Claude Humphrey into the ROH.   Both those players left because of the losing, just like Julio did.

True, but neither one of them had held out for a contract extension with years left on their existing deal like Julio. That was the first clear sign Julio was looking out for Julio and the team could pay him more money or go kick rocks.

The new incident is requesting this trade in March, well after the Falcons had hired AS and TF. With the results AS had achieved in Tennessee and with Dean Pees among the most highly-regarded and successful DC's, Julio could have reasonably expected he could sit tight with his big contract and be playing on a winner with Ryan and his team mates.

I think it really boiled down to being able to get yet another deal from his next team as much as "playing for a winner." He preferred leaving and I'm fine with that, but that's not the type of player I want to put on a pedestal after he goes on his merry way.

But that's just me. As you said, the Falcons will undoubtedly bring him back for a Julio Day and put him into the ROH. Nothing I'm going to lose any sleep over when they do.

2 hours ago, egoprime II said:

Seems to me Julio had an outstanding career.   Julio wanted to play for a winner before he retires, so I don't blame him for wanting outta here.  Julio gave this franchise ten seasons to get it right, and they did not.   Julio is not to blame.

I would not mind one bit if Julio's banner was in the rafters one day.....

Yeah, it wouldn't bother me either if it was. I'm interested to see what he does without MR.

With the support he has, he should put up monster numbers.

8 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Yeah, it wouldn't bother me either if it was. I'm interested to see what he does without MR.

With the support he has, he should put up monster numbers.

Defenses have to pick between defending the run or doubling Julio or Brown.   Reminds me of when we had Turner Roddy Julio and Gonz.  Play action is going to be brutal.

I'm glad the Titans are not in our division....

2 hours ago, Southern California Liar said:

We watched a player break record after record. He still has the highest average ypg of any receiver ever.......EVER.

Some of y'all are in your feelings. Recency bias at it's extreme. What you saw........you'll never see it again in a Falcons jersey. That is as good as it is gonna be here. Somebody will do it better sooner or later but the chances of it happening in a Falcons jersey are pretty slim.

What he did as a wide receiver here is as good as we will ever see in an Alanta Falcons jersey. Whatever it is that they do as a team he will absolutely deserve it 1000%. 

So ya saying we will never ever get a player as good as Julio.... lol we might as well shut the team down now that the diva left.

Julio made stats... not TD's.  He had a lousy work ethic and could not be satisfied.  There is more to being a team player than stats.  Julio showed his true colors and they were rude and disrespectful.  He lost the right for the Falcons to retire his number.  In fact he was lucky he got that sweetheart deal to the titans.  I would have rather he was sent to the jets for a 3rd round and a NY pizza.

Julio is yesterdays trash and has been taken out.

fini to Aholeio

3 hours ago, Bunchy Carter said:

Roddy deserves it BEFORE Julio in my opinion. I know the team doesn't "retire" numbers but, to my mind...one would have to have been a Falcon lifer in order to qualify.

Nah times have changed very few players start and finish with the same team he’ll most of them now days are lucky to see 2nd contracts

29 minutes ago, Realsurfin said:

So ya saying we will never ever get a player as good as Julio.... lol we might as well shut the team down now that the diva left.

Julio made stats... not TD's.  He had a lousy work ethic and could not be satisfied.  There is more to being a team player than stats.  Julio showed his true colors and they were rude and disrespectful.  He lost the right for the Falcons to retire his number.  In fact he was lucky he got that sweetheart deal to the titans.  I would have rather he was sent to the jets for a 3rd round and a NY pizza.

Julio is yesterdays trash and has been taken out.

fini to Aholeio

I'm sorry he hurt your feelings.

19 hours ago, #84 said:

We don't restrict numbers.  Even if we did his definitely isnt the first number we should retire.   I would go in this order

2 Ryan

60 Nobis

21 Sanders

55 Abraham

84 White

28 Dunn (For his play, time in our offices and positive off field impacts more a PR reward)

11 Julio

Not saying all six ahead of him are better, you could argue Julio is the greatest player in franchise history.  But I would argue retiring numbers is more about legacy and total impact on the team, team culture and team direction.  At this moment Julio lags behind those other guys in impact on our direction and culture.  We have had some guys especially the last 15 years or so who for a stretch defined our roster Julio has never been that guy.  Again moot point because we don't retire numbers.

I am against retiring numbers, but if they would, I agree with all of the above except White and Abraham.  Humphrey ahead of Abraham.

7 hours ago, egoprime II said:

Defenses have to pick between defending the run or doubling Julio or Brown.   Reminds me of when we had Turner Roddy Julio and Gonz.  Play action is going to be brutal.

I'm glad the Titans are not in our division....

That's the truth. Haha

How I think the Julio situation went down.

Terry and Arthur spent time watching film. Games from last year as well as practices from last year. The one thing that stood out the most was the absence of one particular high priced player. We all seen the number of times Julio would come off the field during crucial downs in the past. Never made sense. Even as a decoy Julio's presence on the field was crucial.

That led to a conversation with Julio explaining the importance of being a leader by example and his response was , "Trade me".

Terry's kid said from the beginning that Julio was his favorite player. What staff wouldn't want to work with a player of Julio's talent? We also know there was the option of restructuring Jarrett to get under the cap. So trading Julio wasn't paramount to signing draft picks. At this point it becomes how much are you willing to let a WR with all the talent hold your team hostage? 20 million a year isn't enough for you to be a leader? Things started downhill for Julio as soon as he began working out in the offseason with Terrell Owens.

I think the last staff coddled Julio too much. Arthur should never tell a player he is a Falcon for life. (Evidently he wasn't)

As a Falcons' fan it breaks my heart to see a player of Julio's talent traded away for a second round pick. To see him in this offense with Ridley, Pitts, Hurst, Patterson and Davis would have been exciting to say the least.

To answer the question: No, I wouldn't retire his number.

12 hours ago, Southern California Liar said:

Too soon for me.  If he didn’t request the trade it would be different.  Probably gonna be after he retires before I’ll forgive him TBH.  Falcons don’t retire numbers but if they did it should be Matt Ryan before Julio.  

On 6/13/2021 at 10:23 AM, #84 said:

We don't restrict numbers.  Even if we did his definitely isnt the first number we should retire.   I would go in this order

2 Ryan

60 Nobis

21 Sanders

55 Abraham

84 White

28 Dunn (For his play, time in our offices and positive off field impacts more a PR reward)

11 Julio

Not saying all six ahead of him are better, you could argue Julio is the greatest player in franchise history.  But I would argue retiring numbers is more about legacy and total impact on the team, team culture and team direction.  At this moment Julio lags behind those other guys in impact on our direction and culture.  We have had some guys especially the last 15 years or so who for a stretch defined our roster Julio has never been that guy.  Again moot point because we don't retire numbers.

I wouldn't even put prime on here. That man flips and flops so much until we were in the sb. 

And I love prime on and off the feild 

On 6/13/2021 at 8:47 AM, DonOfThemBirds said:

Falcons never retired numbers or even pulled them from circulation during Blank's ownership.

All the numbers that have been out of circulation were grandfathered from the Smith's ownership era. Blank just honors that out of respect of those players that already had their numbers pulled from circulation beforehand.

Tuggle. Even though he retired before Blank took over no one wears 58.

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone with 84 either.

There are some numbers they won’t put into circulation in the regular season.

The first month of training camp is a different story.

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Tuggle. Even though he retired before Blank took over no one wears 58.

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone with 84 either.

There are some numbers they won’t put into circulation in the regular season.

The first month of training camp is a different story.

Cordarrelle Patterson currently wears #84 for the Falcons.

20 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

Wow...no Tuggle but Dunn??

Nothing to do with on the field all about Dunn being Arguably the best human ever to suit up for our team.  Just my personal thoughts