Should Julio's number be retired?

Should Julio's number be retired?   

169 members have voted

1. 1. Should 11 be retired?

• Yes
    • No

A lot of comments feel a bit inconsistent to be honest. 

Some mention retiring his number for the team AFTER he gets into the HOF... But the HOF is the higher, more prestigious honour. Why should the Association honour our stars before we do? 

He didn't disrespect the team on his way out. But we have 50 pages of threads discussing that, so I'll leave it alone. 

Ryan is a great QB and has been since he entered the league, but at no point was Ryan ever considered the best QB in the league... And I believe Ryan should definitely have his number "reserved". For a decade, Julio has been arguably the best WR in the game, not sure why the best in the league shouldn't be immortalised. 

I'm a newer fan, so I can't comment on Bartkowski... But Julio should be shown equal respect as one of the best to ever and will ever do it 

8 minutes ago, ramonezy said:

Some mention retiring his number for the team AFTER he gets into the HOF... But the HOF is the higher, more prestigious honour. Why should the Association honour our stars before we do? 

He didn't disrespect the team on his way out. But we have 50 pages of threads discussing that, so I'll leave it alone. 

Ryan is a great QB and has been since he entered the league, but at no point was Ryan ever considered the best QB in the league... And I believe Ryan should definitely have his number "reserved". For a decade, Julio has been arguably the best WR in the game, not sure why the best in the league shouldn't be immortalised. 

I'm a newer fan, so I can't comment on Bartkowski... But Julio should be shown equal respect as one of the best to ever and will ever do it 

Falcons never retired numbers or even pulled them from circulation during Blank's ownership.

All the numbers that have been out of circulation were grandfathered from the Smith's ownership era. Blank just honors that out of respect of those players that already had their numbers pulled from circulation beforehand.

57 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Falcons never retired numbers or even pulled them from circulation during Blank's ownership.

All the numbers that have been out of circulation were grandfathered from the Smith's ownership era. Blank just honors that out of respect of those players that already had their numbers pulled from circulation beforehand.

Ahhh... Got ya. 

1 hour ago, ramonezy said:

I understand your point but I'm pretty sure MVP means you were considered the best QB. At least by the Atlanta Falcons and Matt Ryan hating media.

Also, it's the Falcons retiring the number not the NFL. When was the last time a Falcon was the league MVP? How long before that happens again? The impact off the field should be in consideration as well. If it's not Matt Ryan, I don't think anyone is getting their number retired.

Edited by Run 'n' Shoot

4 hours ago, celtiksage said:

I'd say not yet. Reassess when he gets into the HOF. But my first inclination is no. If a number is retired, that player should be the best in franchise history in everything at his position. JJ surely was the most talented WR we've ever had, but he is still behind Roddy in TDs, so it's a no from me. Four more TDs and it would be a strong consideration and lean toward yes.

4 hours ago, celtiksage said:

I'd say not yet. Reassess when he gets into the HOF. But my first inclination is no. If a number is retired, that player should be the best in franchise history in everything at his position. JJ surely was the most talented WR we've ever had, but he is still behind Roddy in TDs, so it's a no from me. Four more TDs and it would be a strong consideration and lean toward yes.

4 hours ago, ramonezy said:

Poster already mentioned Falcons policy on retiring numbers, so...

A better question is, "Does Julio deserve to be in the ROH?"   Since Humphrey and Sanders are in there, well.....

3 hours ago, Run 'n' Shoot said:

Numbers are not formally retired but as mentioned in the blog, "Currently, the Atlanta Falcons only have four jersey numbers that are unavailable to be worn ever again – 10 (Steve Bartkowski), 31 (Williams Andrews), 57 (Jeff Van Note), and 60 (Tommy Nobis)"

Gage first tried to change his number to 10 but was denied. So it would seem that it is indeed true, those four are unavailable. 

Only Ryan deserves to join that group. If they were going to do it for Deion or Roddy, they'd have done it all ready.

Those numbers could probably be worn in special circumstances. Like I'm sure if the Falcons drafted a QB in the top 5 and he wanted to wear #10 they would probably let him. Heck, they let Scott Campbell wear #10 after Bart's playing days were done.

Also, I'd like to see where this info Gage was denied the right to wear #10 cause I didn't even know he had changed his number until I looked at the roster yesterday.

1 hour ago, egoprime II said:

Poster already mentioned Falcons policy on retiring numbers, so...

A better question is, "Does Julio deserve to be in the ROH?"   Since Humphrey and Sanders are in there, well.....

Now that's a good question. Hmmm... that'll take some thought. 

My first inclination is to say the ROH is for guys who transformed the team in some way, made it even more than the sum of its parts, and gave it - at the very least - a semblance of an identity.

JJ was fun and shiny, but... idk about ROH. Matt Ryan should be ROH before he's done, and before Julio.

48 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Look at that, there are 4 players. But the team hasn’t done any new ones in years 1054C68B-EE01-4DCC-BD26-91A6ADEAD215.jpeg

I loved JJ, but somehow he just seems so much less than those names. Ryan on the other hand....

If Roddy White's number isn't retired then no. I know the official stance of the team is that they don't "retire" numbers but obviously certain numbers are off limits. Just the other day Russell Gage said he wanted to change to 10 instead of 14 but he was told it was "unavailable".