Wide Receivers

Were you guys aware that Russell Gage changed his number from 83 to 14?

With Gage now in line to be the #2 WR I really hope he takes better care of his body and tries to avoid some of the big hits that have knocked him out of games in the past because we are thin behind him. We have a lot of young guys with limited NFL experience. These guys like Christian Blake and Olamide Zaccheaus have shown some flashes but they're never played a whole lot. The staff seems extremely high on Frank Darby.

Also like the Tajae Sharpe signing. Like that Sharpe has experience in Arthur Smith's offense and can help to implement it among the receivers to make sure the little details are taken care of.  We don't have much experience at the wide receiver position now that Julio is gone so having someone that has played for Arthur is important.

Hopefully Gage is smart enough to realize he needs to get on the ground when he's made all the yards he's going to make. Not sure about Frank Darby, but if AS and TF like him, then I'm on board. The little bit of tape I saw of him was impressive, but it was a highlight reel, so not exactly surprising.

Also like the Tajae Sharpe signing. He's going to be an asset in helping the young WR's get a feel for Smith's scheme. Got another couple of WR's who might end up on ST's or the PS. Plenty of bodies for competition with more to be added I'm sure.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ridley, Gage, Tajae Sharpe, Frank Darby, Zaccheaus, and Trammel be the final 6. Actually, Trammell might be me hoping he makes the team over Blake, Rowland and Dortch.

I wouldn't mind adding another WR with upside from free agency though to hopefully find another WR3/4/5. Not really convinced we couldn't do better than Zach, Blake or Rowland. Tired of waiting on them show they have any upside.

Would rather have a CB or Safety free agent but wouldn't be mad at another WR who is better than our bottom 3.

1 hour ago, celtiksage said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ridley, Gage, Tajae Sharpe, Frank Darby, Zaccheaus, and Trammel be the final 6. Actually, Trammell might be me hoping he makes the team over Blake, Rowland and Dortch.

I wouldn't mind adding another WR with upside from free agency though to hopefully find another WR3/4/5. Not really convinced we couldn't do better than Zach, Blake or Rowland. Tired of waiting on them show they have any upside.

Would rather have a CB or Safety free agent but wouldn't be mad at another WR who is better than our bottom 3.

You don't think Zaccheaus and Blake have shown upside? Especially Z? Z has shown major big play potential.

As I mentioned in another thread, one of my biggest concerns is wide receiver depth. With Julio, Calvin and Gage, we had a solid WR1/WR2/WR3 combination. Ridley is going to be fine as WR1 and I trust Gage as WR2 but wonder if we're okay at WR3. Thank God we have Pitts' versatility to augment that depth. And Patterson, too.

Coach is going to have a lot of options but also a lot of questions that need answers.

With the amount of time I think we see 2 TE sets, and the emphasis I think we will see in the run game, + Cordarelle Patterson, I am 100% ok with our reciever depth.  Ridley, Gage, Sharpe, Zaccheus, and I think Darby are going to end up being the top 5 and Matt has shown he can throw to anyone.

3 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

You don't think Zaccheaus and Blake have shown upside? Especially Z? Z has shown major big play potential.

Between Zach and Blake there's 3 years of experience with 2 TDs and less than 170 yards a season average. That's not really tearing it up in my opinion, especially when JJ was sidelined for more than half the year. They could both probably hang on the practice squad without being touched by another team. I want a higher floor as WR3 than that.

I think Darby is going to be decent though and as someone else said, with the TEs, Darby, CP and Sharpe, that might be all we need catching passes. 

42 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Between Zach and Blake there's 3 years of experience with 2 TDs and less than 170 yards a season average. That's not really tearing it up in my opinion, especially when JJ was sidelined for more than half the year. They could both probably hang on the practice squad without being touched by another team. I want a higher floor as WR3 than that.

I think Darby is going to be decent though and as someone else said, with the TEs, Darby, CP and Sharpe, that might be all we need catching passes. 

You realize you can't catch the ball if you're not on the field having the ball thrown to you right? Zaccheaus only has 37 targets in his career. He's turned those 37 targets into 23 catches for 389 yards and 2 touchdowns. The two touchdowns were 93 yards and 51 yards. That's pretty **** good in my book for an undrafted free agent who hasn't gotten a ton of time on the field. I think with more playing time he'd really show well.

Yet somehow Marvin Hall impressed enough that the Pats signed him.

1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

You realize you can't catch the ball if you're not on the field having the ball thrown to you right? Zaccheaus only has 37 targets in his career. He's turned those 37 targets into 23 catches for 389 yards and 2 touchdowns. The two touchdowns were 93 yards and 51 yards. That's pretty **** good in my book for an undrafted free agent who hasn't gotten a ton of time on the field. I think with more playing time he'd really show well.

I agree. They both have time to get better. But why weren't they on the field? With Rid, Gage and Hurst as about the only targets we had in 2020, either one of them should have had more opportunity than that if they were worth their salt. But, it could be a lot more about the HC and OC as it was their talent. That's yet to be determined, and just like everyone else, a new coaching regime that utilizes their talent might be all they need. They were playing for DQ and DK, so they could still be good enough. We should know this year what their real capabilities are.

If Christian Blake is out there getting snaps then we have no depth. Ridley, Gage, CP, Zach, Sharp, and Darby seem like a decent bunch but I think we need one more big target outiside of the TEs. There are some options in Trammel and Nunn but I think they are longshots to make the roster. Where is Treadwell? Is Treadwell garbare or something? I would think he could prosper in the redzone with an offense with Ryan and Pitts.

3 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

I agree. They both have time to get better. But why weren't they on the field? With Rid, Gage and Hurst as about the only targets we had in 2020, either one of them should have had more opportunity than that if they were worth their salt. But, it could be a lot more about the HC and OC as it was their talent. That's yet to be determined, and just like everyone else, a new coaching regime that utilizes their talent might be all they need. They were playing for DQ and DK, so they could still be good enough. We should know this year what their real capabilities are.

You may be right, but I also don't have any confidence in DK's decision making.  I know that Zach has shown some flashes, enough to get excited that he should be able to handle the #3 spot.

18 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

The same reason we gave Todd Gurley 200 something carries even though he wasn't getting the job despite Brian Hill and Ito Smith doing much better and could hardly see the field. That is what makes Dirk Koetter a terrible offensive coach.

25 minutes ago, quickzero said:

If Christian Blake is out there getting snaps then we have no depth. Ridley, Gage, CP, Zach, Sharp, and Darby seem like a decent bunch but I think we need one more big target outiside of the TEs. There are some options in Trammel and Nunn but I think they are longshots to make the roster. Where is Treadwell? Is Treadwell garbare or something? I would think he could prosper in the redzone with an offense with Ryan and Pitts.

Treadwell has mega talent. He was a 1st round pick for a reason. His problem has been staying on the field because of injuries. But he was considered one of the best wide receiver prospects in years prior to him breaking his ankle against Auburn.

11 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

The same reason we gave Todd Gurley 200 something carries even though he wasn't getting the job despite Brian Hill and Ito Smith doing much better and could hardly see the field. That is what makes Dirk Koetter a terrible offensive coach.

26 minutes ago, poutlipper said:

You may be right, but I also don't have any confidence in DK's decision making.  I know that Zach has shown some flashes, enough to get excited that he should be able to handle the #3 spot.

I agree with that, and all the more reason Zac and Blake could be diamonds sitting unharvested on our roster. I do like Zac a lot, and with the limited moments he's been impressive in I wouldn't be surprised to see him pushing for more reps under a real coaching staff.

21 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Kenny Stills is still available.  He's only 29.

Kenny Stills has always had a major case of the dropsies. It's why he's bounced around so much. His career catch rate is less than 60%.

I'd like to see Treadwell get another shot in camp cause he's got some size to him and the guys we currently have are all smaller guys. We need a big bodied receiver for those tight situations.

• Treadwell - 6'2, 215
  • Blake - 6'1, 181
  • Darby - 6'1, 200
  • Dortch - 5'7, 175
  • Gage - 6'0, 184
  • Green - 6'0, 187
  • Nunn - 5'11, 204
  • Ridley - 6'1, 190
  • Rowland - 5'8, 170
  • Sharpe - 6'4, 194
  • Trammell - 5'10, 185
  • Zaccheaus - 5'8, 193

Very intrigued by Trammell. He's a guy this staff was apparently interested in pre-draft process. Didn't play much last year because of COVID but put up a 16/335/6 line. That's 20.9 yd/rec and extrapolates to 64/1340/24 over a 12-game span. Reminds me of a Danny Amendola/Steve Tasker hybrid. Can also play on ST units. Rooting for him to make the roster.

43 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

I agree with that, and all the more reason Zac and Blake could be diamonds sitting unharvested on our roster. I do like Zac a lot, and with the limited moments he's been impressive in I wouldn't be surprised to see him pushing for more reps under a real coaching staff.

I like what I've seen from Blake and Zac, but I think they're kinda small for what AS like at receiver.

I've noticed that most of his WRs in Tennessee were at least 6' and 200 pounds. AJ Brown, Frank Darby, and Tajae Sharpe are all at least 6' 200.

So I'm wondering if he's either gonna get Zac and Blake to bulk up, or eventually move on from them.

Edited by ATLskinjob

47 minutes ago, TXAintsHater said:

Very intrigued by Trammell. He's a guy this staff was apparently interested in pre-draft process. Didn't play much last year because of COVID but put up a 16/335/6 line. That's 20.9 yd/rec and extrapolates to 64/1340/24 over a 12-game span. Reminds me of a Danny Amendola/Steve Tasker hybrid. Can also play on ST units. Rooting for him to make the roster.

Same here. He seems to have that motivation factor and competitive spirit that drives a lot of good to great players. Or at least I noticed that in a question and answer interview recently.