The Falcons need to sign a veteran corner and a veteran safety.

Edge and RB I see as the real weakness in talent. Would love to pickup a salary cap castoff in these positions specifically. Secondary I think will be OK and not the teams liability this season

9 hours ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

I think fans need to trust Dean Pees. If he says we don’t, we don’t. This isn’t come first time DC or some bald guy from Seattle who rode the coat tails of one of the most talented defenses of all time. I’m not really saying you don’t know what you’re talking ab I’m saying Pees does 

It's more because we don't have the money I think.

11 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I'm very concerned about the Falcons secondary. They have the Falcons ranked at 32 going into 2021. We need to sign a veteran corner and a veteran safety. The Falcons secondary is one injury away from being a disaster.

“They” could be wrong 🤷‍♂️ 

We have done more for the secondary compared to any year in the past.  Picked up 2 vet safeties. Drafted a top safety.  Picked up a vet corner.  Drafted a corner or two.  If you wanted the falcons to get every well known player like the dream team eagles, than you better be ready for cap **** for years to come.

We have all new players & coaches including  these position groups.

We moved on from a few guys & kept the ones they felt were core players we could use effectively given cap/production/scheme considerations.

So I’ll defer to the new staff to implement our new defense while not deferring to what any poster’s “feelings or concerns” might be. Especially when it’s based upon some flaky PFF article ventures to guess about our secondary.

It’s nonstop “I’m worried” or “I’m concerned” over just about every single position group to the point of hysteria every year.  So far we’ve gone through WR, RB, Oline, QB, Corners, Safeties, IDL, & Edge. We dredge up every article with opinions about where we rank on/in position groups, draft, division, NFC, tandems, SOS, trades, Cap, Coaches, etc, etc, etc…

When will we ever realize that 90% of these opinion pieces are proven to be inaccurate  anyways.  Not directing this at MVP, but there are folks on the board who’ll verbalize their concerns over what they view as our weakest positions with the sole purpose of being able to come back later & say I told ya so, I was right, look at me.  Usually it’s all an agenda to begin with.  Those are the ones that bug me. I can handle most everything else as part of the vetting process.

Why would anyone worry about professional sports?  This team has had a radical retooling.  Let's give this team a chance before we sound the doom and gloom trumpets.  

We have essentially an entirely new secondary.  Completely retooled in almost every aspect.  Let's play some ball before we cry the sky is falling.

18 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

Give it time.  The entire secondary has been readjusted.  We've brought in Vets to go with retained players.  Cuts are coming, and there isn't much in FA.  So, we roll forward.  I trust the coaching staff and Terry Fontenot to take care of things.  It's way too early to panic.

The article he read got to him, you know the "experts" have spoken, and they didn't take into consideration we have an entirely new staff that has been retooling through free agency and the draft. 

16 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

Didn't we sign a veteran corner and multiple veteran safeties in free agency? 🤨

Yeah bro. Harmon, Harris, Moreau, you name it. People are freaking out over a PFF article that basically said we were the worst secondary in the league last year and will be the worst this year because we replaced the bums from that team. I personally think we’ll be pretty solid in the secondary after the first few games.

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Yeah bro. Harmon, Harris, Moreau, you name it. People are freaking out over a PFF article that basically said we were the worst secondary in the league last year and will be the worst this year because we replaced the bums from that team. I personally think we’ll be pretty solid in the secondary after the first few games.

Exactly.  I cannot see us being worse.  The safety position was 75% turned over.  CB was 50%.  

18 hours ago, celtiksage said:

I could roll with what we got. I think Harmon, Grant, Harris, Moreau, and AJ can get it done, but definitely looking thin behind that. I'm hoping Sheff doesn't even make the team. That'll be an indicator that someone like Hall, Williams, Hawkins or Green have shown more ability than I'm actually expecting. We do have a CB or two that have also played safety if one of them can show enough talent to make the team.

Probably won't have more than 10 DBs on the final roster.

I was with you until the comment about Sheffield.  I still think he has promise and is too young to give up on.  

25 minutes ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

I was with you until the comment about Sheffield.  I still think he has promise and is too young to give up on.  

That's true about Sheffield. I didn't realize how green he is or how young. But he doesn't need to be the next man up if AJ or Moreau go down. He hasn't been starter caliber, but you're probably right about not giving up on him yet. Third year is the year we should see some significant improvement. 

But when it comes to the final 53, I think it's him or Avery Williams (who has 9 return TDs, 5 blocked punts and is an excellent kickoff teams guy). One scouting report even classifies Avery as a monster on ST. I don't think Avery is as good a DB as Sheffield, and actually, he might should be playing offense, where he actually has experience (in a hybrid role like CP). But, I think his ST value is so great, it would be a detriment to put him on the PS.

If we keep 6 CBS on the roster (which isn't Pees' MO from his Tennessee days), we'll have to go shallow at another position. It's a tossup.

On 6/12/2021 at 9:21 PM, Knight of God said:

What REALLY pisses me off is I've been saying this for years only to get flamed and trolled while this position was the biggest weakness. Now that we look good for once, I'm sitting here looking like "why". We signed 2 legit players and drafted the best safety in the draft but we need more? 

Let me answer it better. We don't need Hooker. He's an IR risk. That's the reason for this is the universal need to sign injury prone players like we always do. That familiarity and comfort from times past. 

Edge? Yes. RB? Yes. Corner? Maybe. Safety? Not really unless it's a SS and not really in THIS system.

I really like our Secondary... for year 1 of the new regime we have the best Secondary in a lot of time.. I first would add Houston and maybe a CB... Rb as you say would be a good one.. but I think they want to see what Oli has in the tank... 

On 6/12/2021 at 10:21 PM, Knight of God said:

What REALLY pisses me off is I've been saying this for years only to get flamed and trolled while this position was the biggest weakness. Now that we look good for once, I'm sitting here looking like "why". We signed 2 legit players and drafted the best safety in the draft but we need more? 

Let me answer it better. We don't need Hooker. He's an IR risk. That's the reason for this is the universal need to sign injury prone players like we always do. That familiarity and comfort from times past. 

Edge? Yes. RB? Yes. Corner? Maybe. Safety? Not really unless it's a SS and not really in THIS system.

And we have Hawkins at SS.  Not sure what we have there yet, but honestly, safety looks stable to me.

On 6/13/2021 at 11:27 PM, gazoo said:

We need a starting capable veteran CB. If Terrell goes down we won’t be able to stop any team. 

I have to think Font is looking at every teams roster and plotting out potential cuts.  A vet corner back makes sense to me.  I would not be surprised at a few other positions.  Edge for sure.