PFF Rates Falcons Secondary As Worst In The NFL Going Into 2021 Season

After having an abysmal season defensively in 2020 in which they were worst in the league in passing yardage and passing TD's, the Atlanta Falcons are expected to be back at the bottom this coming season, according to the popular sports stat site PFF (Pro Football Focus).

In an article appearing in  USA TODAY Sports/Draft Wire, PFF's Ben Linsey said the loss of Safeties Keanu Neal, Ricardo Allen, Sharrod Nessman and Demonta Kazee would result in the Falcons remaining at the bottom of the league. He also pointed out the Falcons defense was also hampered by poor pass rush and lackluster production by the CB's, with only A.J. Terrell playing above average.

Though I don't personally believe the Falcons D is going to be anywhere near as inept as the last few seasons, Linsey does have valid reasons for his dire predictions with all four safeties now gone and no top-level safeties coming in to fill the void, at least not from having a proven background with another NFL team.

A much-improved pass rush will pull this D off the bottom of the pile, but likely won't vault it into the top 10. The new safeties and CB's are going to have to gel quickly, play well and pull their weight to make this team truly playoff worthy.

What's your opinion of the Falcons defense in general, the secondary in particular? Will the loss of all our safeties spell doom for this unit? Will the D do well enough to give the team a chance to get in the playoffs? Discuss.

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/12/atlanta-falcons-pro-football-focus-secondary-aj-terrell/

Before reading the article, please bludgeon that LIKE Button and Rate this Post Five Stars because hey, I've given y'all something Non-Julio to talk about! 🤣

7 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

I’ll wait to see what a competent coach can do with these guys.  Last season is irrelevant 

Truth.  The article seems to say we lost such great talent, that still sucked.  Until we play a snap, and see what's up, these kind of articles are nothing but opinion.  So far, TF and AS have shattered opinion and done their own thing.  Thank God for that.

3 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

"Last year's secondary was terrible."

"They didn't keep last year's players around, so their secondary will be terrible."

Not guaranteeing the secondary will be better, but it's not like the argument above is flawless in its logic. 

Agree, they blame last year's secondary for being terrible, then say we're going to be terrible this year because we lost all our crummy safeties..... WUT?

11 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

A much-improved pass rush will pull this D off the bottom of the pile,

I mean yes it would, but I cant see WHY it would. Just based on Pees hiring? Its not like Morris didnt blitz his face off last season.

Looking at this roster I dont see a combination of over 10 sacks where the player wins a match up to sack a QB. 

Th

1 minute ago, OrthoPTSD said:

I mean yes it would, but I cant see WHY it would. Just based on Pees hiring? Its not like Morris didnt blitz his face off last season.

Looking at this roster I dont see a combination of over 10 sacks where the player wins a match up to sack a QB. 

Th

And the pass rush was better with his blitzing, but I just can't put Morris at anywhere the same level of DC as Dean Pees. We have some decent pass rushers in Jarrett, Fowler, Cominsky, Debo and Walker. I believe Marlon Davidson is going to step up big this year.

Nobody knows what we have yet with Johnathan Bullard and Ta'quon Graham. They or some other new guys could have a big impact, so I'm not as pessimistic as you are about this group.

2 minutes ago, mikeg272 said:

I disagree greatly with the safety part. Yes we lost all our safeties, but Harmon is better than what we lost, and between Grant and Harris we should at minimum break even if they play at floor level

Agree. The sports pundits are giving TF little to no credit for going out and finding some guys that are better than who we lost, but I have a lot of faith that he's been able to do just that. I have a good feeling about this safety group.

39 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

After having an abysmal season defensively in 2020 in which they were worst in the league in passing yardage and passing TD's, the Atlanta Falcons are expected to be back at the bottom this coming season, according to the popular sports stat site PFF (Pro Football Focus).

In an article appearing in  USA TODAY Sports/Draft Wire, PFF's Ben Linsey said the loss of Safeties Keanu Neal, Ricardo Allen, Sharrod Nessman and Demonta Kazee would result in the Falcons remaining at the bottom of the league. He also pointed out the Falcons defense was also hampered by poor pass rush and lackluster production by the CB's, with only A.J. Terrell playing above average.

Though I don't personally believe the Falcons D is going to be anywhere near as inept as the last few seasons, Linsey does have valid reasons for his dire predictions with all four safeties now gone and no top-level safeties coming in to fill the void, at least not from having a proven background with another NFL team.

A much-improved pass rush will pull this D off the bottom of the pile, but likely won't vault it into the top 10. The new safeties and CB's are going to have to gel quickly, play well and pull their weight to make this team truly playoff worthy.

What's your opinion of the Falcons defense in general, the secondary in particular? Will the loss of all our safeties spell doom for this unit? Will the D do well enough to give the team a chance to get in the playoffs? Discuss.

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/12/atlanta-falcons-pro-football-focus-secondary-aj-terrell/

Before reading the article, please bludgeon that LIKE Button and Rate this Post Five Stars because hey, I've given y'all something Non-Julio to talk about! 🤣

OK, I will take the bait.  How can you (the author, not you PS), say that the 2020 defense was weak and that the 2021 defense will be weak because of the replacement of some of those 2020 defenders?

2 minutes ago, NorthGaBoy said:

OK, I will take the bait.  How can you (the author, not you PS), say that the 2020 defense was weak and that the 2021 defense will be weak because of the replacement of some of those 2020 defenders?

Yep. He comes off sounding like a tool. There's no getting around it. This argument is not just flawed, it's absolutely stupid.

22 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

And the pass rush was better with his blitzing, but I just can't put Morris at anywhere the same level of DC as Dean Pees. We have some decent pass rushers in Jarrett, Fowler, Cominsky, Debo and Walker. I believe Marlon Davidson is going to step up big this year.

Nobody knows what we have yet with Johnathan Bullard and Ta'quon Graham. They or some other new guys could have a big impact, so I'm not as pessimistic as you are about this group.

Mingo had almost 3 sacks last year, 5 sacks once, maybe can bring something 

Just now, Precyse said:

Mingo had almost 3 sacks last year, 5 sacks once, maybe can bring something 

Yes sir! Absolutely agree. What a great player he could turn out to be for us in Pess' D! I love this guy and wanted him to be a Falcon when he came in to the league and was drafted by the Browns.

I believe the utilization of our new veteran FA safeties will be better in our scheme than how they were utilized on the teams they played for last year and they were middle of the road to decent last year. Pees knew exactly who would fit his scheme that would be available and TF went out and got them. I expect them to be solid veteran players here. 

And Grant shouldn’t take long at all to start playing snaps. He’s a student of the game, intelligent and brimming with talent. He might even start day 1. He’s got more playmakimg ability than anyone we’ve had here at his position in years.

In short, I believe safety is in much better shape than last year. May take a few games to click, but I’m good here.

I also may be in the minority here, but I think we have an impressive group of DL and LBs given Pees system. The idea of Marlon Davidson, Tyeler Davison and Grady Jarrett on a 3-4 front lining up with the uber athletic interior LBs in Foye and Deion with potential good pass rushing OLBs in Fowler is really exciting to me. I'm not sure who gets the other OLB spot in pass rushing situations, but he may already be on our roster. 

The concern I have is CB. While others are clamoring for more DL, I see no position in greater need right now than adding a veteran starting CB. Or at least one who could start if needed. I’m not sure what Pees thinks about what he has aside from Terrell.

We have the money to sign a veteran CB who gets cut prior to start of season. I haven’t looked to see who that might be but each year good veterans are cut during camp when the cheaper younger players step up at a given position.

If we have the resources to get both a starting veteran  pass rusher and starting veteran CB great. If we have to choose, no other position is as weak in overall talent than CB on this defense so go CB. 

4 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Agree, they blame last year's secondary for being terrible, then say we're going to be terrible this year because we lost all our crummy safeties..... WUT?

Makes as much sense as Cowgirl fans believing that DQ is the 2nd coming of D-coordinators. Dude had 5 years and couldn't coach one up here.😂

AJ is gonna ball out. 
The second squad will be better in 21, can’t be worse. I don’t agree with last rank at all. But I think middle 20s is fair until we show game improvement. My opinion. 
But the AJ = Baller statement, not opinion, that’s objective.   
Safety still makes me nervous. 

Just now, Rings said:

defensive line 31st.

In a 3-4 alignment, Grady at DE and Tyeler Davison at NT could be classified nowhere in same hemisphere as #31 so I'm not worried about that happening this year.  I also am very, very high on Marlon Davidson as the other DE. He was a beast at Auburn and  AS mentioned him as coming into camp in excellent shape. I give him a mulligan last year with COVID and the uncharacteristic injury. He had a 4 year track record of outstanding play so that's what I'm expecting.  

My concern remains CB. 

9 minutes ago, gazoo said:

In a 3-4 alignment, Grady at DE and Tyeler Davison at NT could be classified nowhere in same hemisphere as #31 so I'm not worried about that happening this year.  I also am very, very high on Marlon Davidson as the other DE. He was a beast at Auburn and  AS mentioned him as coming into camp in excellent shape. I give him a mulligan last year with COVID and the uncharacteristic injury. He had a 4 year track record of outstanding play so that's what I'm expecting.  

My concern remains CB. 

Our line has been bad for so long outside of Grady, I’m not defending or projecting anything much more than that until they show it.  I’ve gotten my hopes up a lot with that unit and it’s been flat out bad since Abraham left.

39 minutes ago, Rings said:

Our line has been bad for so long outside of Grady, I’m not defending or projecting anything much more than that until they show it.  I’ve gotten my hopes up a lot with that unit and it’s been flat out bad since Abraham left.

I’m on the other side of that. Ive always felt coaching has forced our players into situations that don’t align with their strengths. It was proven to me when Shanny did something with the talent no other coach had, created mismatches to attack the opposing defense.  Ended up making NFL history as the NFLs #7 highest scoring offense.

On defense, it’s been the same thing most of the RYAN years. I’m excited about the new coaching staff and position coaches and feel the players on the roster will be utilized to showcase their strengths on both sides of ball now. 

I also attribute the monumental amount of breakdowns and broken plays largely to coaching. Just get rid of the mistakes and the defense climbs to middle of the road from the cellar. 

in my view, less mistakes due to much better coaching and better utilization of talent is going to surprise a lot of Falcon fans who believe talent has been our biggest problem.