The Falcons could make a deep playoff run in 2021.

On 6/11/2021 at 9:27 AM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

The Rams were 4-12 in 2016 and brought in an offensive minded head coach and were a playoff team in 2017 with an explosive offense. The Jaguars were 3-13 in 2016 and made the AFC championship game in 2017. Probably should have won that game. The Packers to were bad in 2018 and brought in a new offensive minded creative head coach and they made the nfc championship game with offense looking explosive.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the Falcons offense was explosive in 2021 and we made some noise in the playoffs. In fact it I expect it because of Arthur Smith and Dean Pees.

Wheres the pass rush coming from?

Offense, no doubt will take off under Coach Smith.

I have major apprehension on our defense.

2 hours ago, BLM said:

Better than Panthers, wash with saints.  Saints have better overall team but falcons have better qb.

Then what you said makes sense. I think we are well below both the Bucs and Saints(matter of fact I think N.O takes the division again), and are equal to the Panthers.

I see something like this..

N.O- 12-5

Tampa- 11-6

Atl and Carolina- 6 or 7 wins each.

On 6/13/2021 at 12:58 PM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

We should be 4-1 or 3-2 at the bye week. I think we beat Philly, The Giants, Washington and the Jets and lose to Tampa Bay making us 4-1 at the bye week.

What are you basing this line of thinking on, though? We pretty much know nothing at this point. We don't know how difficult Smith's offensive vocabulary is, how well they all will pick it up, what kind of chemistry the team will have in light of all the turnover in the offseason. There are so many variables and unknowns. I mean, I'll be stoked if we are 4-1 at the bye, but I'm a Falcons fan. My entire past with this team is a cautionary tale. 

6 hours ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Wheres the pass rush coming from?

Offense, no doubt will take off under Coach Smith.

I have major apprehension on our defense.

The Falcons pass rush was fine last year. Falcons were one of the best teams in the NFL last year at pressuring the QB. The problem was turning pressure into sacks and we can thank the secondary for that.

On 6/11/2021 at 12:58 PM, Jesus said:

The 2015 Falcons started off 5-0. Then they went 3-8 the rest of the way. Why?

My theory is two fold but indicative of the rest of the Quinn era. 

5-0 +5 takeaways offense 32.4 pts/game defense 22.4 pts/game

3-8 -12 takeaways offense 16.1 pts/game defense 21.8 pts/game

The team got really sloppy. In 2016 the offense covered up the slop. In 2017 the defense. After that the sloppy was the norm, though Matt had a great year in 2018.

Smith seems like the coach who will not tolerate the sloppy.

2015 the Falcons had a 6 game losing streak because Kyle S refused to run the ball enough, which is confusing since Freeman had his 'breakout game' against Dallas.   Quinn did not say anything during that losing streak... later Quinn said in a news conference, "We need to be more balanced on offense."   

The next game, the Falcons ran exactly 30 pass plays and 30 run plays.   Incidentally that was the game the Falcons beat an undefeated Panthers team.

I believe that 2015 season foreshadowed the problems Quinn had as an HC, problems that really showed themselves in us losing the Super Bowl.

8 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

2015 the Falcons had a 6 game losing streak because Kyle S refused to run the ball enough, which is confusing since Freeman had his 'breakout game' against Dallas.   Quinn did not say anything during that losing streak... later Quinn said in a news conference, "We need to be more balanced on offense."   

The next game, the Falcons ran exactly 30 pass plays and 30 run plays.   Incidentally that was the game the Falcons beat an undefeated Panthers team.

I believe that 2015 season foreshadowed the problems Quinn had as an HC, problems that really showed themselves in us losing the Super Bowl.

Actually, it was the turnovers. The Falcons still attempted to run the ball but some games just couldn't. Look at the loss to the 49ers, the Falcons ran it only 14 times but the reason they ran it only 14 times was because they gained on 17 yards. Devonta Freeman had 12 carries for exactly 12 yards that day. So why keep trying to run yourself into a brick wall? Dan Quinn also made a major blunder in that game when he decided to go for it instead of kicking the FG and the Falcons lost by 1 as a result.

But seriously, the turnovers were brutal. In the 5-0 start to the season the Falcons turned it over only 5 times, one of those games was 3 turnovers against Washington that they somehow found a way to pull out a win, the other was the opener against the Eagles. In the 3 games between against the Giants, Cowboys and Texans there was zero turnovers.

But that Washington game foreshadowed what was to come. 3 turnovers the next week against the Saints, 2 in the 10-7 last minute win against the Titans and 4 in the loss the next game to the Bucs. They somehow still forced OT in that game against the Bucs. One of the turnovers was the infamous Julio play where he got stripped from behind and lost the ball. The fact that the Falcons in those 4 games managed a 2-2 record with one of the losses being an OT loss was pretty incredible when you look at exactly how bad you have to play to turn it over 12 times in only 4 games. That's 3 turnovers per game. That really set the stage for how potent the team could be without the turnovers.

There was no turnovers in the aforementioned loss to the 49ers, but the Falcons just could not run the ball that day. That foreshadowed a fatal flaw of the Dan Quinn era, not being able to run the ball against tough 3-4 based defenses. Sadly for the Falcons after their bye week following the loss to the 49ers the turnovers returned and the losses mounted up. 4 against the Colts, 3 against the Vikings, 1 against the Bucs, 4 against the Panthers, 1 each against the Jaguars and Panthers followed by 2 more in the season ending loss to the Saints. The Falcons played only 4 games all season without turning it over. You just can't win turning it over that many times.

Yeah, the run game struggled at times but it wasn't the reason for the turnovers. 176 yards rushing against Washington but still 3 turnovers. 150 yards rushing in the first Saints game but still 3 more turnovers. 127 yards rushing against the Titans but 2 more turnovers. Turnovers killed that season. The Falcons fumbled a stagging 26 times, 12 of those were charged to Matt Ryan. Most of those were a result of missed snaps between him and Person or Stone, depending on who was starting. Not a surprise that the turnovers immediately disappeared after the Falcons got Alex Mack.

Ryan also had 16 turnovers that year because of his struggles learning a completely different way of playing. Previously he was use to throwing to receivers but in the WCO you're throwing to spots, not receivers. That's a major adjustment one of the reasons these last 2 years under Koetter have been totally brutal. Koetter you throw to receivers and Ryan was still trying to throw to spots and the receivers just weren't there. Koetter was such a terrible hire all the way around. Now we're back under an offense where Ryan is going to be throwing to spots again and it suits him. That should make for less growing pains than there were back in 2015.

14 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Actually, it was the turnovers. The Falcons still attempted to run the ball but some games just couldn't. Look at the loss to the 49ers, the Falcons ran it only 14 times but the reason they ran it only 14 times was because they gained on 17 yards. Devonta Freeman had 12 carries for exactly 12 yards that day. So why keep trying to run yourself into a brick wall? Dan Quinn also made a major blunder in that game when he decided to go for it instead of kicking the FG and the Falcons lost by 1 as a result.

But seriously, the turnovers were brutal. In the 5-0 start to the season the Falcons turned it over only 5 times, one of those games was 3 turnovers against Washington that they somehow found a way to pull out a win, the other was the opener against the Eagles. In the 3 games between against the Giants, Cowboys and Texans there was zero turnovers.

But that Washington game foreshadowed what was to come. 3 turnovers the next week against the Saints, 2 in the 10-7 last minute win against the Titans and 4 in the loss the next game to the Bucs. They somehow still forced OT in that game against the Bucs. One of the turnovers was the infamous Julio play where he got stripped from behind and lost the ball. The fact that the Falcons in those 4 games managed a 2-2 record with one of the losses being an OT loss was pretty incredible when you look at exactly how bad you have to play to turn it over 12 times in only 4 games. That's 3 turnovers per game. That really set the stage for how potent the team could be without the turnovers.

There was no turnovers in the aforementioned loss to the 49ers, but the Falcons just could not run the ball that day. That foreshadowed a fatal flaw of the Dan Quinn era, not being able to run the ball against tough 3-4 based defenses. Sadly for the Falcons after their bye week following the loss to the 49ers the turnovers returned and the losses mounted up. 4 against the Colts, 3 against the Vikings, 1 against the Bucs, 4 against the Panthers, 1 each against the Jaguars and Panthers followed by 2 more in the season ending loss to the Saints. The Falcons played only 4 games all season without turning it over. You just can't win turning it over that many times.

Yeah, the run game struggled at times but it wasn't the reason for the turnovers. 176 yards rushing against Washington but still 3 turnovers. 150 yards rushing in the first Saints game but still 3 more turnovers. 127 yards rushing against the Titans but 2 more turnovers. Turnovers killed that season. The Falcons fumbled a stagging 26 times, 12 of those were charged to Matt Ryan. Most of those were a result of missed snaps between him and Person or Stone, depending on who was starting. Not a surprise that the turnovers immediately disappeared after the Falcons got Alex Mack.

Ryan also had 16 turnovers that year because of his struggles learning a completely different way of playing. Previously he was use to throwing to receivers but in the WCO you're throwing to spots, not receivers. That's a major adjustment one of the reasons these last 2 years under Koetter have been totally brutal. Koetter you throw to receivers and Ryan was still trying to throw to spots and the receivers just weren't there. Koetter was such a terrible hire all the way around. Now we're back under an offense where Ryan is going to be throwing to spots again and it suits him. That should make for less growing pains than there were back in 2015.

Good info and good post.  Thanks for that.

I recall Tevin Coleman was a rookie, and even though he showed flashes, Coleman fumbled the ball a -lot-.

About Person as center.... we had cut Hawley in preseason which was inexcusable.  Hawley wasn't that great, but he could play at an average.... very average... level.  Person could not even snap the ball half the time!   Shotgun formations were a real adventure...

One reason Freeman had problems in the San Fran game you mentioned and some other games was, the Falcons almost always ran sideways.   The goal was to get at or outside the OT, then look for run lanes that opened up.  San Fran and other teams simply ignored run defense inside the tackles, because the Falcons never ran inside!   Maybe Person was the blame?  All I know is when we got Mack, the Falcons suddenly ran inside a -lot- more, and our line became one of the best in the NFL in 2016.  Our offense was of course top-notch....

Mike Person being miscast as a center was an early sign of just how bad our coaches could be in evaluating and using players.  Its why we hold out hope that Ollison Senat and others are better than what our coaches made them out to be.   Our old coaches used Ito Smith, ignored Ollison... our new coaches -cut- Ito Smith praise Ollison.   More to come...?

SIDENOTE:  Quinn had one of the best kickers in the history of the game.... and he elected to not use him, costing us the game.  How does that happen, how......

Edited by egoprime II

20 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

Then what you said makes sense. I think we are well below both the Bucs and Saints(matter of fact I think N.O takes the division again), and are equal to the Panthers.

I see something like this..

N.O- 12-5

Tampa- 11-6

Atl and Carolina- 6 or 7 wins each.

That’s the spirit!!

Oh wait.