The Falcons could make a deep playoff run in 2021.

16 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

Yeah, I'll be waiting as AS turns a 4-12 team to the SB champion in 2021. Losing Jones and essentially shopping in the dented can food outlet for players. 

In your world AS is better than any head coach that ever lived..despite never being a HC in his life. Seems feasible.

No one thought a never before HC named Mike Smith could had taken the Falcons to the playoffs in 2008 but he did. This team has some great players that are very capable of going to the Super Bowl. Look, you choose to doubt them, I choose not to. My post originally was out of fun and laughs but you couldn't help your miserable self to take it to a negative place. Buh bye kiddo and have a great day. 

Just now, nomak said:

No one thought a never before HC names Like Smith could had taken the Falcons to the playoffs in 2008 but he did. This team has some great players that are very capable of going to the Super Bowl. Look you choose to doubt them, I choose not to. My post originally was out of fun and laughs but you couldn't help your miserable self to take it to a negative place. Buh bye kiddo and have a great day. 

Fun...precious. 

BTW I was born in 73' and have followed this team since 80'. How about yourself, how long have you been having "fun"?

19 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

Agree 100% with that. Matt Ryan starting wins this team 4 games alone. 

I say between 6-8. I see a definite coaching improvement, I just think the talent is not where some of you all do. Also think AS learns quickly that teams don't bite on his WC/Play action offense with Mike Davis like the do with Derrick Henry. 

2021 will have some growing pains as the damage Coach Bro and Dimitroff did the past 3 years, try to keep a window that din not exist open. This is not a 1 year fix, and never was. Bu the time he gets the cap and poster where they want...well the need for a QB will be staring us right in the eyes.

It doesn't matter who the running back is. If the run game works the play action will work. A team that has an established running game can even have a bad game running the ball but still have an effective play action because of their reputation. I hope that's a reputation the Falcons regain under Smith and why I'm excited about him. Hard nosed running the ball based offense is my style of football. It's why the Turner years are still my favorite years.

On 6/11/2021 at 1:21 PM, Slumerican said:

I absolutely believe we'll be a good team in 22..but I don't believe AS has the pieces he needs right now to put his plan together.. But come 22 im expecting huge improvements

Thanks to parity, the league regularly has teams go from worst to first in their division the very next season. As has been pointed out earlier in this thread, even we've done it a couple of times. The current roster is definitely good enough on the offensive side to make the playoffs, especially when you consider we'll be returning to a scheme that had us breaking offensive records in 2016. The D is a work in progress, but under Dean Pees it has a good to excellent chance of being tremendously improved.

The quality of our HC, OC, DC and coaching staff are the crucial X-factors in whether this team is in the play-offs or stumbling toward another high draft pick. I have complete faith in Smith and Pees to take the players they have and field a competitive team. We'll know one way or the other in a few months.

15 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Thanks to parity, the league regularly has teams go from worst to first in their division the very next season. As has been pointed out earlier in this thread, even we've done it a couple of times. The current roster is definitely good enough on the offensive side to make the playoffs, especially when you consider we'll be returning to a scheme that had us breaking offensive records in 2016. The D is a work in progress, but under Dean Pees it has a good to excellent chance of being tremendously improved.

The quality of our HC, OC, DC and coaching staff are the crucial X-factors in whether this team is in the play-offs or stumbling toward another high draft pick. I have complete faith in Smith and Pees to take the players they have and field a competitive team. We'll know one way or the other in a few months.

We should be 4-1 or 3-2 at the bye week. I think we beat Philly, The Giants, Washington and the Jets and lose to Tampa Bay making us 4-1 at the bye week.

44 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

Fun...precious. 

BTW I was born in 73' and have followed this team since 80'. How about yourself, how long have you been having "fun"?

Since 79/80. My dad was watching the Falcons one Sunday and I decided to watch with him. Steve Bartkowski became my favorite player that day. 

You really should get a grip. That one post of fun is going to end up giving you an anxiety attack. 

Really man, you gotta let it go. 

1 hour ago, PokerSteve said:

Not to mention the division isn't exactly stacked. The Bucs are still loaded and will still be quite a challenge but does anyone really believe in Jameis Winston keeping the Saints competitive? Sam Darnold is the QB in Carolina, nuff said.

21 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Not to mention the division isn't exactly stacked. The Bucs are still loaded and will still be quite a challenge but does anyone really believe in Jameis Winston keeping the Saints competitive? Sam Darnold is the QB in Carolina, nuff said.

Why not? You are factoring coaching improvements with the Falcons, but completely discount Darnold or Winston getting better with coaching in the other scenario's. I am actually not happy at all Darnold went to Carolina, and flat out hate the thought if Payton gets through to Winston. 

Anything is possible in the offseason. Even the Jets believe they are superbowl bound this time of year.  How about the Falcons get through training camp without serious injuries before we move to a deep playoff run. 

53 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

Why not? You are factoring coaching improvements with the Falcons, but completely discount Darnold or Winston getting better with coaching in the other scenario's. I am actually not happy at all Darnold went to Carolina, and flat out hate the thought if Payton gets through to Winston.

Winston is a turnover machine. That's not gonna change. That's ingrained in the way he plays the game. It's just who he is. He's got a big arm and thinks he can make every throw and so he gets careless with the ball. In 2019 with the Bucs he had 33 touchdowns and 30 interceptions. Wouldn't be surprised to see him do that again.

Sam Darnold blows. There's no amount of coaching that's gonna save him.

On 6/11/2021 at 7:13 PM, Slumerican said:

Most definitely, AS is on another level.. Im just saying the Lions have a HC now that'll actually build off fundamentals and they will be a more disciplined team imo

Eh we will see. Some wonder how he even got the job.

31 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Winston is a turnover machine. That's not gonna change. That's ingrained in the way he plays the game. It's just who he is. He's got a big arm and thinks he can make every throw and so he gets careless with the ball. In 2019 with the Bucs he had 33 touchdowns and 30 interceptions. Wouldn't be surprised to see him do that again.

Sam Darnold blows. There's no amount of coaching that's gonna save him.

Eh. Look who his OC and head coach was for most of his career. It was dirk. You saw the imagination and what he created here.

Im leary of him, Winston always gave us problems, Brees was a game manager at this point in his career they would have been more deadly with hill or winston playing. They had everything else. 

13 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Eh. Look who his OC and head coach was for most of his career. It was dirk. You saw the imagination and what he created here.

Im leary of him, Winston always gave us problems, Brees was a game manager at this point in his career they would have been more deadly with hill or winston playing. They had everything else. 

That 30/30 season I referenced came under Bruce Arians. Winston is who he is. Yes, he'll be able to make throws Brees couldn't make and those will be touchdowns. But he will also take more chances and throws more interceptions. That is who he is. He's the Brett Favre of current day QBs. No one could coach it out of Favre and no one can coach it out of Winston. Just watch and don't be surprised if he does 30/30 again. 20 interceptions at minimum.

40 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

That 30/30 season I referenced came under Bruce Arians. Winston is who he is. Yes, he'll be able to make throws Brees couldn't make and those will be touchdowns. But he will also take more chances and throws more interceptions. That is who he is. He's the Brett Favre of current day QBs. No one could coach it out of Favre and no one can coach it out of Winston. Just watch and don't be surprised if he does 30/30 again. 20 interceptions at minimum.

Hes not even 30 yet you dont think he can change 🤣?  I get it though you seem like a show me 1st guy. Even with the ints hes got a better team and coach around him than he did in Tampa. Saints are loaded.

6 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Hes not even 30 yet you dont think he can change 🤣?  I get it though you seem like a show me 1st guy. Even with the ints hes got a better team and coach around him than he did in Tampa. Saints are loaded.

Age has nothing to do with my assessment of him. His personality and playing style will not change. He is who he is. Jameis Winston isn't going to stop being a gunslinger. He isn't going to stop thinking he can make every throw out there regardless of the risk. It's not in his nature to tone it down and be conservative.

Look at Matt Ryan. Ryan rarely takes chances with the ball and as a result he doesn't throw a lot of interceptions. But he also potentially leaves some plays on the field that could end up as touchdowns that could change the outcome of some games. Ryan is frustrating in that regard, especially when he had a weapon like Julio. You got that kind of weapon sometimes you need to say "screw it and just junk it up for grabs and let your playmaker make a play for you." Ryan rarely did that. That is why when he made throws and decisions like the one he did against the Panthers in 2015 it was such a shocker cause it was so outside of Ryan's nature and the way he plays the game.

Winston makes a lot of "WTH are you doing?" throws and sometimes they work and the end result is a touchdown or some other big play and you're like, we dang, what a play. But when it results in an interception you're like "well...yep, that's the reason he is who he is." Brett Favre was the exact same way.

1 hour ago, red falcon said:

That is how I see it as well. If, and there is an "if", Winston 'gets it" and buys into Payton's system...the NFC south has a problem, whole NFC does for that matter.

Not writing Darnold off either.

The Falcons can pretty easily get to 9-7 or 10-6 if things go well but they don't have the top end talent to start winning playoff games against good teams. If you look at the past bad teams that quickly flipped the switch, you see groups of really high draft picks who turned out to be really good and all started playing really well at the same time. 

The Falcons are coming off of too many 7-9 type seasons where they were not drafting high enough to pick elite players. If you refer back to the original post with the Rams and Jaguars, the Falcons just don't have players like Aaron Donald, Todd Gurley, and Jalen Ramsey ready to explode onto the league. 

Edited by Summerhill

16 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

That's a really good point. Arians is as much a QB whisperer as any body.

On 6/11/2021 at 12:27 PM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

The Rams were 4-12 in 2016 and brought in an offensive minded head coach and were a playoff team in 2017 with an explosive offense. The Jaguars were 3-13 in 2016 and made the AFC championship game in 2017. Probably should have won that game. The Packers to were bad in 2018 and brought in a new offensive minded creative head coach and they made the nfc championship game with offense looking explosive.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the Falcons offense was explosive in 2021 and we made some noise in the playoffs. In fact it I expect it because of Arthur Smith and Dean Pees.

................and I might get a pony for Christmas.

Panthers are weak.  Saints got downgraded.  Buccs still good.  I can see that.  NFC east is still weak.  West is pretty good.  North is weak and we hope Rodgers goes to Broncos. 

6 hours ago, BLM said:

Panthers are weak.  Saints got downgraded.  Buccs still good.  I can see that.  NFC east is still weak.  West is pretty good.  North is weak and we hope Rodgers goes to Broncos. 

Well there you have it. Curious, you skipped the Falcons assessment, so I'm assuming you think we are better than the Panthers and the Saints?

3 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

Well there you have it. Curious, you skipped the Falcons assessment, so I'm assuming you think we are better than the Panthers and the Saints?

Better than Panthers, wash with saints.  Saints have better overall team but falcons have better qb.

On 6/14/2021 at 10:47 AM, Summerhill said:

The Falcons can pretty easily get to 9-7 or 10-6 if things go well but they don't have the top end talent to start winning playoff games against good teams. If you look at the past bad teams that quickly flipped the switch, you see groups of really high draft picks who turned out to be really good and all started playing really well at the same time. 

The Falcons are coming off of too many 7-9 type seasons where they were not drafting high enough to pick elite players. If you refer back to the original post with the Rams and Jaguars, the Falcons just don't have players like Aaron Donald, Todd Gurley, and Jalen Ramsey ready to explode onto the league. 

You mean 10-7 or 11-6? Or 9-8 or 10-7?