The Falcons could make a deep playoff run in 2021.

8 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

I said 6-7 wins, so I assume that is just some random record to make a counterpoint...and I agree with you btw, as <4 is silly or rather highly unlikely. However, what was the record last year? So, while some posters may be too the extreme, there is somewhat a basis of reasoning.

I mean 4-12 last year and losing Jones seem more reasonable than 13-4 or 14-3, if we are trying to make a point.

Except your forgetting the little thing called coaching. I know I'm not alone here, @Vandy has said it, others have said it, but coaching matters so much more than the actual talent on the field. Blows my ever loving mind that people act like coaching doesn't matter. The Falcons are better in 2021 simply because the coaching will be better because it can't get any worst. Coaching was directly responsible for 4 losses last year. The talent was there to win a lot more than just 4 games last year and if the coaching had just been average at best they would have won 8 games last year. The 8-8 Bears made the playoffs last year. Saying the Falcons will win 9 or 10 games this year doesn't make anyone delusional. It makes them objective. The roster is better on paper than the roster that ended the 2021 season, yes, even without Julio.

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

What would you rather have?

Koetter, Ryan, Gurley, Julio, Ridley, and Hurst? 

OR

Smith, Ryan, Davis, Ridley, Gage, and Pitts?

I’d personally take the latter. Koetter vs Smith is VERY significant. More significant IMO of Julio vs no Julio. 

That should be true, however the exact same thing was said when Quinn got here. So, I am going to pump the brakes for now on that aspect.

Personnel wise, I think it is a wash personally with those groupings.

5 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

That should be true, however the exact same thing was said when Quinn got here. So, I am going to pump the brakes for now on that aspect.

The Falcons went from 4-12 to 8-8 in Quinn's first year and was in the Super Bowl in year 2 and won another playoff game in year 3. I don't know about you but I'd gladly take a repeat of those results with hopefully a different SB outcome within the next 3 years. That would make my thrilled.

1 minute ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Except your forgetting the little thing called coaching. I know I'm not alone here, @Vandy has said it, others have said it, but coaching matters so much more than the actual talent on the field. Blows my ever loving mind that people act like coaching doesn't matter. The Falcons are better in 2021 simply because the coaching will be better because it can't get any worst. Coaching was directly responsible for 4 losses last year. The talent was there to win a lot more than just 4 games last year and if the coaching had just been average at best they would have won 8 games last year. The 8-8 Bears made the playoffs last year. Saying the Falcons will win 9 or 10 games this year doesn't make anyone delusional. It makes them objective. The roster is better on paper than the roster that ended the 2021 season, yes, even without Julio.

Of course coaching matters, but not a single person knows what AS will be as a head coach. Short memories with some folks, as Quinn was an even hotter candidate then Smith ever was. A defense "genius" was uttered ad nauseum and the same theme is quite prevalent with Smith on the offensive side of the ball.

Coaching absolutely matters, but our coach has not been the head coach ever anywhere is his entire career. I really like the guy but I am not proclaiming he is better than anyone at this point. 

Adam Gase was the hottest OC in recent memory and how did that turn out? 

Just now, PointSwayzee said:

I don’t think it’s a wash because the team went 4-12 last year with the former group. The latter is very likely to be better. But better doesn’t mean elite or even playoff bound. Better means better. The 2020 Falcons were 16th in points and 18th in yards despite having a former MVP at QB and 2 players who have been 1st team all pro. That’s coaching man. 

As for Quinn, yea, it was said. And the team instantly improved. 2015 saw a 5-0 start, a running game improve from 24th to 19th with a running back who got 1600 all purpose yards as opposed to 850 the year prior. And in year 2, they went to the Super Bowl. The 2015 team was definitely underwhelming, but they were FAR less frustrating than the 2014 team. 

Just now, PointSwayzee said:

Of course coaching matters, but not a single person knows what AS will be as a head coach. Short memories with some folks, as Quinn was an even hotter candidate then Smith ever was. A defense "genius" was uttered ad nauseum and the same theme is quite prevalent with Smith on the offensive side of the ball.

Coaching absolutely matters, but our coach has not been the head coach ever anywhere is his entire career. I really like the guy but I am not proclaiming he is better than anyone at this point. 

Adam Gase was the hottest OC in recent memory and how did that turn out? 

Dan Quinn

• Year 1 = 8-8
  • Year 2 = 11-5 (Super Bowl loss)
  • Year 3 = 10-6 (WC playoff win)

I'd take those results in the next 3 years.

1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

What's so funny about the run the ball thing is that I believe it was PFF that said last year that running the ball was overrated.

Whoever wrote that doesn't understand how winning works in football.   That line of thinking is a spinoff of the current NFL landscape of paying huge prices for franchise QBs.   Folks, even a lot of coaches and GMs, start looking at the availability of RBs vs QBs, plus how much players at those positions make, and come to the conclusion that passing the ball -is- the key to winning.   Dimitroff fell into that trap when he traded for Julio.   What the Falcons actually -needed-, was more and better defense.

Running the ball is necessary for dominating TOP, plus.... a forceful run games tires out opposing defenses, opening up the passing game.  Hopefully Arthur Smith runs the ball, then passes off of play action later in games, if he does that.... the Falcons will win some games, PFF be hanged.   😁

1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

It's really odd, you seem to get very upset if no one else agrees with you.. If you believe we're q playoff team and you feel strongly about it.. Dont worry about what anyone else thinks.. Its ok to have dialog between different people, but you shouldn't feel obligated to assert your opinion on someone else or get offended if no one else seems to have the same ideas.. We can all be fans and have different opinions 

1 hour ago, egoprime II said:

Whoever wrote that doesn't understand how winning works in football.   That line of thinking is a spinoff of the current NFL landscape of paying huge prices for franchise QBs.   Folks, even a lot of coaches and GMs, start looking at the availability of RBs vs QBs, plus how much players at those positions make, and come to the conclusion that passing the ball -is- the key to winning.   Dimitroff fell into that trap when he traded for Julio.   What the Falcons actually -needed-, was more and better defense.

Running the ball is necessary for dominating TOP, plus.... a forceful run games tires out opposing defenses, opening up the passing game.  Hopefully Arthur Smith runs the ball, then passes off of play action later in games, if he does that.... the Falcons will win some games, PFF be hanged.   😁

Especially if we're going to be a PA team.. Our running game makes or breaks the offense.. Dosnt matter what kind of talent you have, if a team dosnt respect your running game and plays the pass.. Its going to be rough getting yards.. Any coach in the NFL isn't stupid.. A OC basically has to have the ability to confuse the opponents DC, then actually execute the game plan to actually be successful.. Just having talent on either side of the ball wont cut it in the NFL 

4 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

It's really odd, you seem to get very upset if no one else agrees with you.. If you believe we're q playoff team and you feel strongly about it.. Dont worry about what anyone else thinks.. Its ok to have dialog between different people, but you shouldn't feel obligated to assert your opinion on someone else or get offended if no one else seems to have the same ideas.. We can all be fans and have different opinions 

No, I'm not offended. I'm trying to impart knowledge to disprove myths that run wild on this board. There's a myth on this board that coaching doesn't matter. Whenever the Falcons are "evaluated" on here by the "realists" all that is ever talked about if the players on the field and how much the Falcons "lack" talent because they only won 4 games last year and only 18 total the last 3 years.

5 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

No, I'm not offended. I'm trying to impart knowledge to disprove myths that run wild on this board. There's a myth on this board that coaching doesn't matter. Whenever the Falcons are "evaluated" on here by the "realists" all that is ever talked about if the players on the field and how much the Falcons "lack" talent because they only won 4 games last year and only 18 total the last 3 years.

The coach has not been a HC at any level ever. He could be great and absolutely love his demeanor, or he could be Adam Gase or Dan Quinn without the benefit of Shanahan.

So, how can anyone factor a coach that has never coached a game? I await this answer with baited breath.

1 minute ago, PointSwayzee said:

The coach has not been a HC at any level ever. He could be great and absolutely love his demeanor, or he could be Adam Gase or Dan Quinn without the benefit of Shanahan.

So, how can anyone factor a coach that has never coached a game? I await this answer with baited breath.

He cannot be any worse..... That's the answer!! Just by chance he will be better because you can't get any worse than what the Falcons have done the last 3 years.

4 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

Await in baited breath? Lmao. Over football? Message boards? Await away…in “baited breath” 

34 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

He cannot be any worse..... That's the answer!! Just by chance he will be better because you can't get any worse than what the Falcons have done the last 3 

Never say never when it comes to the Falcons.

1 hour ago, Slumerican said:

Especially if we're going to be a PA team.. Our running game makes or breaks the offense.. Dosnt matter what kind of talent you have, if a team dosnt respect your running game and plays the pass.. Its going to be rough getting yards.. Any coach in the NFL isn't stupid.. A OC basically has to have the ability to confuse the opponents DC, then actually execute the game plan to actually be successful.. Just having talent on either side of the ball wont cut it in the NFL 

Agree with your post.... wanted to comment on the bolded part.   NFL coaches may be a lot of things, like stubborn... obstinate.... stuck in thier ways, etc.   But all of them have some brains and football knowledge, or they would not have made it to being an NFL HC.   Too much research is done, too many recommendations have to be made, before a coach is hired.... these guys are good coaches.   So where do things go wrong?  Two factors, one of which is pretty simple:  every coach cannot be a -winning- coach.... someone has to lose.   Losing creates a stigma around a coach, players stop believing in him.   I think Quinn suffered from that.

The other factor, the real wildcard, is the owner.  Long time fans know Blank is a far superior owner compared to the Smiths.... but Blank makes mistakes.   Buddying-up to Vick was one....  keeping Dimitroff around was another.  We all felt Quinn was too much of a players' coach.   Blank seems to want to be friends with everyone in the Falcons organization.  Remember Julio was supposed to be a Falcon for Life?

GMs and coaches get fired, players cut and traded.... what do you do when your owner is the problem?  Is Blank the problem?   Stay tuned.....

In the place where I work (medical care), we have a serious problem with accountability. Administration has allowed themselves to be held hostage by people who display substandard work performance. This results in substandard care for someone who could be your mother, father, etc..

The reason they are held hostage is fear that replacements are not available. It is my opinion that I would rather work shortstaffed than work with someone who doesn't take the job seriously. This lack of professionalism drags the moral of the good workers down (why am I working my butt off when they do nothing but jerk off for the same or more pay?). 

For the last several years, the monkeys have been running the zoo. Last year, we had the talent to be a playoff team even with one of the strongest sos in the league. With a new scheme, lesser sos, and most importantly accountability, we should be a playoff team.

Thankfully we are not going into  2021 now.. WE are in the middle of 2021 .. And I've never seen such a wonderful Change in such a short time... the last 6 months has been awesome to say the least. I absolutely love our new coaches.. and also the way they drafted.. As I've already said,, I think this is the best Draft we have ever had. Just my thoughts.. And that is the one thing I study more than any other thing is the players in the Draft.  

Hey! It may take a little while for everybody in this organization to adjust working together .. But when they get it down ,, watch out.  I just hope they get things in order by the 4th game so we may have a chance to make the playoffs.  If we get in, then we'll be a team to reckon with. This is my expectation. I always see the glass half full.. But by the end of this coming season , I think we'll see the glass full. Thing is,, Will we be adjusted enough to make the playoffs? AB I think would say ,, that's a Multi Million Dollar Question?

23 hours ago, ATLskinjob said:

I'm really getting sick of all of these smug self-appointed "realists" around here. All doom and gloom with nothing to back it up, and somehow convinced that if you're being a negative d1ck, then it makes you right by default, and that if you have any optimism as a fan you're a "homer" which apparently just means that you want your team to do well. 

One thing that all you gritty, "hard-nosed", bootstrap-pulling, "realists" that are too afraid to love again after being burned are not taking into account is how easy our schedule is looking right now. Eagles, Giants, Jets, Jags, Panthers, Lions, Cowboys, are all very very winnable games for this roster. 7 "easy" wins right there.

Except there is no “ easy” win for this team. We lost to a Brian Hoyer led Browns team. Offense once again didn’t score the whole 2nd half

This team has issues....

2 minutes ago, Radiant City said:

Except there is no “ easy” win for this team. We lost to a Brian Hoyer led Browns team. Offense once again didn’t score the whole 2nd half

This team has issues....

That's why I wrote what I did in the post right before yours ,,, If we get situated by the 3rd or 4th game.. I think we will make it to the playoffs. If you haven't read it,, the last post I have on this thread , just right above your post. Reasons why we may have a chance to make the playoffs. But yes , I know it's a big IF ...