The Falcons could make a deep playoff run in 2021.

7 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

Never said anything remotely close to that.

Find where I said anything like that and if I did I will be the 1st to correct that terrible logic.

I didn't say you did. I said Slum said that because he did. He's who I was responding to with the Lions/Jets stuff when you jumped into the middle of that.

14 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I didn't say you did. I said Slum said that because he did. He's who I was responding to with the Lions/Jets stuff when you jumped into the middle of that.

You are correct, you said Slum. My apologies as I misread the post. 

Besides, we are on the same team as we both want a better football team, we just see different paths getting there(and at a different level as a team right now).

Edited by PointSwayzee

12 minutes ago, Vandy said:

No argument there from me. Julio was a huge loss to an otherwise positive offseason. We were a potential Top 5 offense and playoff team with him. 

I disagree Vandy. Not having Julio sucks tremendously. You can't replace him. But I don't think losing him changes what the Falcons want to do on offense much if any. Also, Julio missed half the games last year. When you evaluate the offense as a whole, coaching included, it's only natural that one would come to the conclusion that the offense should be miles better this year than it was last year. Also, we may see a different side of Ryan this year. Every year that Ryan has been in the NFL he's had someone (Roddy, Tony G, Julio) where it was expected that those guys had to get X amount of touches or attempt to get those guys X amount of touches. This will be the first time he goes into an NFL season without the pressure of trying to feed someone who's expected to get the ball a ton in the passing game. I'm excited to see if that releases some pressure off Ryan and we see a guy who is more focused on just finding the open man rather than making sure someone he's his.

20 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I disagree Vandy. Not having Julio sucks tremendously. You can't replace him. But I don't think losing him changes what the Falcons want to do on offense much if any. Also, Julio missed half the games last year. When you evaluate the offense as a whole, coaching included, it's only natural that one would come to the conclusion that the offense should be miles better this year than it was last year. Also, we may see a different side of Ryan this year. Every year that Ryan has been in the NFL he's had someone (Roddy, Tony G, Julio) where it was expected that those guys had to get X amount of touches or attempt to get those guys X amount of touches. This will be the first time he goes into an NFL season without the pressure of trying to feed someone who's expected to get the ball a ton in the passing game. I'm excited to see if that releases some pressure off Ryan and we see a guy who is more focused on just finding the open man rather than making sure someone he's his.

For some reason, alot of folks I respect (such as yourself) disagree with me on this. I just can’t see how this team is better in 2021 without Julio than they could have been with him. I think he’s the difference between us being a powerhouse offense/playoff team versus a good offense/.500 team.

58 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

So being a mod makes you qualified to make that assessment, huh? My wife is a clinical psychologist, so I'll make sure I give her your pearls of wisdom regarding deflection.

I don't disagree that we will be better, but check the title of the thread your responding in and you might want to retract that statement about being a contender. There was a thread not too long ago regarding record predictions. When multiple posters predict 11+ wins, you absolutely can not tell me that a fair portion of this board in fact believes we are a contender.

Reality check, the person who made the thread is simply predicting the falcons will be a playoff team. That isn’t outlandish at all. And read the responses to the OP. 99% of them are hesitation, not agreeing. You, Slum, and Grace all suggested that all of TATF thinks the falcons will win the SB and Ryan will be MVP…because one poster made a thread about the team being a playoff team. 

6 hours ago, hjerry said:

I doubt we'll care much about winning in the preseason. We'll probably be more focused on individual player evaluation 

This is always a mistake with this team.... Quinn would screw around preseason but forget to teach the team to win... Then it would take him 4 regular games to figure out how to win.  By then we were always playing catchup. Toss in a few injuries and no real run game and we were on the fade all season with passing moments of genius.

We need to win some in preseason.... so we can kick a$$ in regular season.

:munch:

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

For some reason, alot of folks I respect (such as yourself) disagree with me on this. I just can’t see how this team is better in 2021 without Julio than they could have been with him. 

I don't believe the Falcons are better in 2021 without Julio. That's crazy talk.

I'm saying that I don't believe that the difference between having Julio nor not having Julio is catastrophic because the Falcons offense isn't based on one guy. 2021 will mark the 1st time in forever that the Atlanta Falcons offensive success will not live or die with one player. Previously the Falcons lived and died as Julio went and before him it was Roddy and Turner and before that it was Vick and before that it was Jamal Anderson. When those guys were great and did their thing the Falcons offense was good and when those guys weren't healthy and doing their thing the Falcons offense was pathetic.

But now we can finally say that we have an offense that should be good because the scheme is good enough that one guy doesn't make or break it's success. At least that's the hope I have that the Falcons will be able to be just fine without Julio.

1 minute ago, Realsurfin said:

This is always a mistake with this team.... Quinn would screw around preseason but forget to teach the team to win... Then it would take him 4 regular games to figure out how to win.  By then we were always playing catchup. Toss in a few injuries and no real run game and we were on the fade all season with passing moments of genius.

Correlation does not equal causation

Our problems in the regular season weren't because we didn't win the preseason games

14 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I don't believe the Falcons are better in 2021 without Julio. That's crazy talk.

I'm saying that I don't believe that the difference between having Julio nor not having Julio is catastrophic because the Falcons offense isn't based on one guy. 2021 will mark the 1st time in forever that the Atlanta Falcons offensive success will not live or die with one player. Previously the Falcons lived and died as Julio went and before him it was Roddy and Turner and before that it was Vick and before that it was Jamal Anderson. When those guys were great and did their thing the Falcons offense was good and when those guys weren't healthy and doing their thing the Falcons offense was pathetic.

But now we can finally say that we have an offense that should be good because the scheme is good enough that one guy doesn't make or break it's success. At least that's the hope I have that the Falcons will be able to be just fine without Julio.

Gotcha. 

I think so too, although it may take us a couple years to really get there. But I would have loved having one season of JJ in there within AS’s scheme and also mentoring Pitt’s development. We could have been one of those scary wildcard teams nobody wanted to play that potentially makes a playoff run all the way to a SB.

12 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Reality check, the person who made the thread is simply predicting the falcons will be a playoff team. That isn’t outlandish at all. And read the responses to the OP. 99% of them are hesitation, not agreeing. You, Slum, and Grace all suggested that all of TATF thinks the falcons will win the SB and Ryan will be MVP…because one poster made a thread about the team being a playoff team. 

Stranger sheet has happened.  I still have a small spot in my heart every year that this is the year the Falcons win the Superbowl.  With all the changes anthing is possible.  If anything this has been the most fun and interesting offseason in ages.

Edited by Realsurfin

1 minute ago, Realsurfin said:

Stranger sheet has happened.  I still have a small spot in my heart every year that this is the year the Falcons win the Superbowl.  With all the changes anthing is possible.  If anything this has been the most fun and interesting offseason in ages.

That’s simply just hope. I doubt it’s actually your real expectation of the team this upcoming season

On 6/11/2021 at 7:59 PM, Realsurfin said:

I think more than wins/losses in meaningless preseason games it was that coaching staff’s lackadaisical training camps with no real sense of urgency that set the bad tones to start each of last 3 seasons.

Arthur Smith ain’t messin’ around…which is refreshing.

6 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Gotcha. 

I think so too, although it may take us a couple years to really get there. But I would have loved to had one more season of JJ in there with AS’s scheme and mentoring Pitt’s development. This could have been one of those wildcard teams nobody wanted to play that potentially made a playoff run to a SB.

That would have been epic to see. Definitely could have been top 5 for sure.

21 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Come on man, I never said anything close to "all" of anything, I said a portion if I remember correctly.

What I did say, and stand by, is that a good portion of this forum thinks this team can be a contender next year. Many have said, that you just need to get in the playoffs and you have a chance. So, something is not adding up.

At the point anyone thinks the team is a fringe playoff team or a playoff team, then logic dictates that they believe they are contender? Right?

Edited by PointSwayzee

7 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

Come on man, I never said anything close to "all" of anything, I said a portion if I remember correctly.

What I did say, and stand by, is that a good portion of this forum thinks this team can be a contender next year. Many have said, that you just need to get in the playoffs and you have a chance. So, something is not adding up.

At the point anyone thinks the team is a fringe playoff team or a playoff team, then logic dictates that they believe they are contender? Right?

I think predicting the team to make the playoffs is not any more ridiculous than predicting 4-13 and a top 5 pick 

48 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Don't forget we added Kyle Pitts a better running back and a much more creative play caller. My biggest concern is center

14 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I think predicting the team to make the playoffs is not any more ridiculous than predicting 4-13 and a top 5 pick 

I said 6-7 wins, so I assume that is just some random record to make a counterpoint...and I agree with you btw, as <4 is silly or rather highly unlikely. However, what was the record last year? So, while some posters may be too the extreme, there is somewhat a basis of reasoning.

I mean 4-12 last year and losing Jones seem more reasonable than 13-4 or 14-3, if we are trying to make a point.

27 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Like I stated in another thread....this is an evaluation season....to see what we got and who's buying in....

Its possible we exceed expectations.....and that alone is better than what we've seen..

I think it will be a fun season....

I think you are right. As long as there is improvement, it is a winning/productive season regardless of the record.

Edited by PointSwayzee

Let's be honest.  We have underachieved since 2018.  Matt has gotten a little older and Julio is gone but we have the pieces to be successful.  Arthur is smart, flexible and has surrounded himself with good coaches.  If we get above average coaching as I expect then a wildcard spot will be within reach.  It will be tough to knock the Bucs off their perch but anything is possible.  

9 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

I said 6-7 wins, so I assume that is just some random record to make a counterpoint...and I agree with you btw, as <4 is silly or rather highly unlikely. However, what was the record last year? So, while some posters may be too the extreme, there is somewhat a basis of reasoning.

I mean 4-12 last year and losing Jones seem more reasonable than 13-4 or 14-3, if we are trying to make a point.

What would you rather have?

Koetter, Ryan, Gurley, Julio, Ridley, and Hurst? 

OR

Smith, Ryan, Davis, Ridley, Gage, and Pitts?

I’d personally take the latter. Koetter vs Smith is VERY significant. More significant IMO of Julio vs no Julio.